Inexpensive Vacations

popowich

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello,

Money is a little tight right now. I'm easy to please, but need to get out more. I do a lot of hiking, camping, and geocaching around New York State. I'd love to find some inexpensive (yeah, read: cheap) vacation destinations that will provide me with a view and such without putting too much of a dent in my savings. Any recommendations? Thanks1

-Raymond

Take the Chinatown bus down to DC (wait til schools start up) and stay at a hostel ( I saw a dozen on google search-can't vouch for anything. The Smithsonian's are great and free.

Do geocachers have a website of upcoming events? Have you tried volkmarching or biking.? Get hooked on that and you can find yourself in a different town walking in circles everyweekend. The volkswalk website is ava.org

Go to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. It's the most European city in North America
93_135_Old%20Quebec%20at%20night%20in%20winter%20-%20credit%20-%20J-F%20Bergeron%20Enviro%20Foto%20(600%20x%20400).jpg

11274180398712508x313pixelQuebecCity.jpg

Go to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. It's the most European city in North America
93_135_Old%20Quebec%20at%20night%20in%20winter%20-%20credit%20-%20J-F%20Bergeron%20Enviro%20Foto%20%28600%20x%20400%29.jpg

11274180398712508x313pixelQuebecCity.jpg
on par
It may very well be a beautiful city but with the american and canadien dollars on par and with the pst and gst around 14% it's not the cheapest place to go.

Nighttime fun: find a dark place away from city lights and watch for meteor showers. Take a picnic along. One of my favorite childhood memories is of walking up the street to the highest point on a hot summer evening and seeing a famous comet go by; so famous I forgot which one. '56ish?

If your area doesn't have showers, I like the idea of just visiting another neighborhood, one you can get to by public transit or bike. Or do a lot of day trips.

I came across what I thought was a group of bikers on a treasure hunt recently. They had to park their bikes in a particular spot; I overheard one being told to go back and re-park his bike below rather than above the treasure site. Each one was to put one penny in this fountain and then sign in with a near-by women with a clipboard. After one was finished, he went back to his bike and made a cell phone call, apparently for the next instruction and then barreled down the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 5
I know many people don't consider a trip to London inexpensive, but I think as long as you know where to look and you plan ahead, it's not going to be very expensive. We're planning a trip to Europe and I find London pretty amazing. The London Guide did so much help since I can budget based on the costs they indicate in the guide. Good luck on your trip, popowich!

I learned something interesting this past week. I had planned to take DW to Galveston for our anniversary. I checked the San Luis Hotel about a month before. $200 to $300 a night. I checked what it would be if I waited the day before to make a reservation. $116 to $200! and there were plenty of rooms! Great stay and a really nice hotel! Great sea food. Beach is not that great as beaches go, but ok.

There are so many places on the East Coast that an Arizonan like me had to spend a bit of money and time to visit, such as Arcadia National Park in Maine, or Bar Harbor like a previous post. Montreal? Boston? How about driving down to Philly for its historic landmarks? The sites of the Civil War? A bit more driving south to get to Youngtown historic colony site, and the Yorktown Battle Ground? Then a bit more to see where the Wright brothers made their 1st flight?

Perhaps you have been to those places already, or do not want to drive long distances? Depending on where in NY you are, these places may be within 400 mi, I think. Such distances are not that bad, considering what we have to drive in the West to go anywhere.

P.S. Just saw that you are in upstate NY. Then, have you exhausted what our northern friends have to offer?

If you are adventurous, maybe you'd like to try couchsurfing: www.couchsurfing.com. It sure would cut your costs when traveling. We haven't been bold enough to do it yet...let us know what your experience is if you try it!

Pack your camping gear on your bicycle and go explore the back roads of the Adirondacks.

Along the lines of what Simple Girl said, check out housecarers.com.
We had a couple stay at our place while we were gone for almost three weeks earlier this summer. They got a free place to stay in Charleston, we got someone to feed the animals while we were gone.

Visit a city/place off season. Airfares are usually much cheaper. Check out VRBO.com. Find an inexpensive place to rent for a week and settle in to relax in a place totally different from your own.

I did this to visit Oahu in Feb 2006. Airfare $450. VRBO studio within walking distance of Kailua beach, $100/nite. Car about $25/day.Food from the grocer and cooked up in the kitchen. $200.
One week in paradise. Total $1525.

Back
Top Bottom