Retired Military - Continue in current job?

Awesome! Thanks for replying.

It's odd. For nearly 30 years I never once vacillated on if I wanted to stay in the military or not. I knew what the end-game was and that was to stay until retirement. Since I've retired in 2018 it has been difficult to keep employment beyond a year or two. I've never been one to be indecisive. I'm quite confident this is because I now have a choice and don't need the income.

During the work week, I find myself quite content in this job; however, during my weekends and off-times, I go the other direction and begin plotting my exit.

As retired 0-5s, you and your wife will be totally set. I agree on SBP and think it's a total scam unless you do not qualify for term insurance.

I've read your story and my input is for you to just go and be a good dependent and travel the world with her -- who knows, she could be an 0-6 one day?

Take care.

Truly appreciate your input. I have entertained less qualified jobs based on my primary profession and realized it would cause more harm to the psyche than accepting full retirement. Becoming a dependent is sounding like the best course of action. It’s more rewarding knowing I’m serving the wife to reach her goals than working a job to validate my existence. Never know, next week I may think different.

Hi Nords - thanks for the great advice and book recommendation. DIC is what I was referring to...I suppose that's not considered pension?
You're welcome!

As for DIC... well, it's a stream of income based on military service so I guess it could technically be called a pension, but the VA tends to use the compensation and pension words interchangeably. Their vocabulary (sometimes based on Congress' enabling legislation) causes a lot of confusion.

For example, DIC requires vets to die specifically from a service-connected illness or injury, or have a "service-connected disability rated as totally disabling for a certain period of time." If you surf the wrong wave or die of a disease that's not service-related then the words on the death certificate might mean that your spouse is not eligible for DIC.
https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/
If there's any doubt in your mind about the qualifications (or if she's unsure how to handle the application after you're gone) then I'd visit a VSO or a Retired Affairs Officer now to make sure you both understand the qualifications and the application process.

Then there's the VA Survivors Pension, which is needs-based with income & asset qualifications. That's a niche program, too, and rarely discussed on financial independence forums.
https://www.va.gov/pension/survivors-pension-rates/

Hi Nords - thanks for the great advice and book recommendation. DIC is what I was referring to...I suppose that's not considered pension?

I believe the DIC payment (depending on your disability level) is between $1,400-$1,600.00 monthly, or in that area.

Back
Top Bottom