Is your drivers License Compliant TSA

I was the first Real ID applicant at my local MVD, because my DL had expired 7 days before the Real ID became available. I called the MVD the week before and asked how much trouble I would be in with an expired DL I was told that there is a 60 grace period. I think the whole MVD helped get me get my new license. It must have been a slow day for them.

Both DW and I have our DL expiring in the next few months, and we were hoping to get the new kind when we renew. But the state recently pushed back the implementation date and now our county won't get them until sometime in mid to late summer. That means we'll have to go through the drill all over again if we want to have compliant DLs (and we do). Plus we'll have to pay another fee for the replacement license. Not a huge deal, but I think we're going to see these new Real ID type licenses needed more and more as time goes by.

On one hand, it will be a great convenience and a time saver, as a swipe of the new card will let us do many things with no other verification.

On the other hand, it will be [self-edited to avoid bringing up the hornet's nest of politics and ...]

Thanks to this thread I looked it up and found that I could get the license renewal application online and get in queue online. That should save some time!

A few years ago I renewed my driver's license, and at that time you could choose whether or not it would be a "Real ID" type of license. I think it cost $5 more for that. Since apparently there was no requirement to have a "Real ID" in order to fly at that time, I went for the regular license. I guess that in 2023, when my present license expires, I will have to get the "Real ID" type of license.

As a result of a class action lawsuit, my state now has a two tier system of 1) Real ID and 2) Driving Authorization Card (DAC). The DAC was implemented for those who cannot or do not want to provide the Real ID documentation e.g., homeless, elderly, immigrants. There are a number of US citizens in my state who were born at home (I know several who are just a few years older than me), live in depressed rural areas, and/or work odd jobs or clean houses. I'm sure that coming up with a birth certificate, SS card, pay stub, etc. would be difficult. And I doubt they fly very often if at all.

Last edited:
As a result of a class action lawsuit, my state now has a two tier system of 1) Real ID and 2) Driving Authorization Card (DAC). The DAC was implemented for those who cannot or do not want to provide the Real ID documentation e.g., homeless, elderly, immigrants. There are a number of US citizens in my state who were born at home (I know several who are just a few years older than me), live in depressed rural areas, and/or work odd jobs or clean houses. I'm sure that coming up with a birth certificate, SS card, pay stub, etc. would be difficult. And I doubt they fly very often if at all.

I didn't even know some states were trying to force the Real ID standard for all DLs. NC never did that, and has a dual standard. I thought that was the case in all states. Didn't know NM went nuke on it.

So without the higher standard, you just won't get the gold star, and someday if you want to fly domestic, you'll have to bring your passport. I don't want to have to bring my passport for domestic issues.

I didn't even know some states were trying to force the Real ID standard for all DLs. NC never did that, and has a dual standard. I thought that was the case in all states. Didn't know NM went nuke on it.

So without the higher standard, you just won't get the gold star, and someday if you want to fly domestic, you'll have to bring your passport. I don't want to have to bring my passport for domestic issues.

You may be right that all states have a dual standard. I tried to google this but could not obtain this info and I may have misunderstood the lawsuit in my state. The lawsuit concerned our MVD attempting to require a SS card or other documentation for the non-Real ID similar to a Real ID.

Last edited:
You may be right that all states have a dual standard. I tried to google this but could not obtain this info and I may have misunderstood the lawsuit in my state. The lawsuit concerned our MVD attempting to require a SS card or other documentation for the non-Real ID similar to a Real ID.

Not in TX. All Real ID compliant.

I was pleased that my NC DL (not compliant) was issued to be valid for 8 years (double from my former state). I still have 5 years to go and don’t fly frequently so I’ll let it die a natural death. I also don’t want to carry my passport but will if I have to. The passport will need renewal around the same year as the license.

Made sure to get mine last year. My wife still has 3 years to go on her current license. We always bring passports with us if traveling outside US so not a big deal.

Made sure to get mine last year. My wife still has 3 years to go on her current license. We always bring passports with us if traveling outside US so not a big deal.

For air travel without Real Id, you'll need that passport inside in 2020, assuming they don't move the date again.

Last edited:
They have been delaying the implementation of this for years (almost decades). I don't know why there has been so much resistance. Supposedly we have a real deadline now. I got my Real ID drivers license last year. After all the BS I said "this looks just like my old license" and they pointed out the only difference is the gold star. I could of just gone to Sunday school and gotten a gold star to stick on the license.

They have been delaying the implementation of this for years (almost decades). I don't know why there has been so much resistance. Supposedly we have a real deadline now. I got my Real ID drivers license last year. After all the BS I said "this looks just like my old license" and they pointed out the only difference is the gold star. I could of just gone to Sunday school and gotten a gold star to stick on the license.

And the TSA would have accepted that? I think not.

Yeah, after 7 months DM just got approved for her Real ID! It was not that easy for a 90 year old without current documentation. She had everything available, from her birth record, baptism, vaccinations. school records, marriage, social security, etc. However we had to regenerate all new records for the new requirements. 7 months later mission accomplished.

However when somebody stole her identity it only took minutes.

My wife and I got ours last summer. We figured that starting this year there would be rush to get them and I don't like waiting in line.

If someone did that, they would have a lifetime of "SSSS" on their boarding cards.

Yup, Hawaii has been pushing that gold star for years. Paperwork ws a pain in the okole, but glad it's done.

I just renewed in California and got the "read id"

iu

I got mine in California last September. One interesting glitch - this was the first time I was ever asked to show my Social Security card. I brought my 50 year old card to the Davis, CA office and they refused to accept it because it didn’t look like the current cards. The Walnut Creek office did accept it and I got my new TSA compliant license. I’ve also recently gotten a new Social Security card.

We use passports.

We signed up for and received out Global Entry passes last year. Those are worth more than their weight in gold (for many reasons.)

I renewed my DL online without RealID because for the latter I'd have had to go to the DMV and that's a pain and a half. When I travel I'll use my passport.

I renewed my DL online without RealID because for the latter I'd have had to go to the DMV and that's a pain and a half. When I travel I'll use my passport.

Pain in the half - I agree! It took me 4 1/2 hours to go through the DMV process. Aghhhh.

I

Back
Top Bottom