London, England - 4 Days (Part Deux)

IMATERP

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thanks for the input regarding our initial journey on a previous thread. We booked our trip with Tripmasters thus we cannot make any changes. By the way, four days in England, 3 days in Amsterdam with hotel and flights was $2,450 for the two of us.

Now, here is the preliminary itinerary.

Arrive on a Thursday AM into Heathrow. Take Heathrow Express to Paddington. Metro to aldgate East. Check into hotel and 10 minute walk to London Bridge. Spend the balance of the afternoon getting acclimated.

Friday we obtain a 3 day Big Bus ticket and use that from Friday through Sunday. Identify different sites we want to see and use that as our primary mode of transport.

On Saturday noon we would take the Parliament tour (purchased in advance.)

On Sunday we would take the London Tower tour.

Monday at 2:00p.m. We have to be back at Heathrow.

How does this sound so far?

I

Sounds like you're fleshing it out. Not sure how close to Aldgate East your hotel is but London Bridge is 20 minutes from the station. Tower Bridge is closer - is that the one you meant? London Bridge is "new" c. 1970's and not a tourist spot in itself.
On arrival afternoon you might consider a walk down Fenchurch Street to the Skygarden which can give you some great views across London Nice place to get a visual orientation. Similar views from St. Pauls rotunda if you're felling energetic enough to go there. In the evening you're also very close to Brick Lane that offers great East Indian eating options, if that's your thing, and memorable street art.

Fantastic... Your absolutely correct - we are in walking distance from the Tower Bridge. Kudos for setting up the rest of our Thursday for us. In addition, wifey and I love East Indian food. :)

It sounds good and not overscheduled … just my opinion 7 days in the greater London area would have been just right. you kind of lost a good chunk of Monday in transit. You are definitely going feel some jet lag. But I realize people have different travel styles.

Enjoy it all!

Depending on your ability, your also within walking distance to the London Eye if you take the river walk route. We just got back a few days ago from London. Also, for us Uber was the way to go. Easier and only a few bucks (pounds) more then the Underground.

When you get in the Paddington Train Station, note that you'll have to take an underground hike to the Paddington Metro Station. They're not quite the same place.

TripMasters appears to be a consolidator operation operating all over Europe. I am amazed at the low cost of some of their trips for self directed touring.

Try to get to the British Museum. It is world class.

I can recommend being at birdcage walk at 10:40, if you want to see the Royal guard line up. Also you can stroll from London Bridge to Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, hms Belfast the globe and the tate modern all within where you are staying.

we found the Churchill War Rooms to be extremely interesting. If you like WW2 history, plan on at least 4 hrs there.

I’d also recommend the imperial war museum if you are a history buff. A little further to get to but well worth the visit and price (it’s also free[emoji41])

Back
Top Bottom