motorcycle camping

I'm building a 50cc moped now, a Motoped. Should be lots of fun!

That is a true moped because it can be pedaled.

I see that it uses a clone of the venerable Honda small engine. These engines and their clones have an integral gear box with 3 or 4 speeds. The clutch is either a manual design (like bigger bikes), or automatic (centrifugal).

What is used here? If it has a gear box, the foot pedal to change gear would interfere with the left pedal.

By the way, because of the 4-stroke engine and the gear box, the Honda scooter has much better torque at low speeds and also better top speeds, compared to the Mobylette which has a simple dry centrifugal clutch with a single gear. This single gear is a compromise by necessity, and the Mobylette does not have good torque for climbing hills, nor high speed for flat land.

Riding a moped to Alaska is a real test of human endurance. Compared to that, a Honda scooter would be a real luxury.

Last edited:
My first powered ride was on a Solex. My uncle had that, then acquired, at various times, a Honda P-50 (had the engine "in" the back wheel) and a Honda Z-40 (looks amazingly like the current vintage "monkey bike" I posted earlier). This was in the late 1960's, I think. In the 1970's I was riding my cousin's Suzuki monkey bike and another cousin's off-road version of a Honda 125. I rode a street version of the Honda 125 during summer in England and Europe. That was late 1970's. Since then, I've only ridden one-day rentals when we go to the Caribbean, but done many of those in the last few decades.

The pictures are just ones I've grabbed just now off the Internet.

Attachments

• MyOldRides.JPG
    MyOldRides.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 19
These guys have so much fun motorbiked across Vietnam - I have a good laugh watching this

I've done a couple of 4-5K mile cross country trips, but I've never been able to make the concept of camping on a motorcycle work for me
*no room for camping gear (no trailer), food, etc
*no time to set up/break down camp (and unloading/reloading all of the gear from the bike)
*If I just rode 500 miles in the rain, I don't want to sleep in the rain too.
If you like it, great. I'll save camping for the back of my pickup.

My first powered ride was on a Solex. My uncle had that, then acquired, at various times, a Honda P-50 (had the engine "in" the back wheel) and a Honda Z-40 (looks amazingly like the current vintage "monkey bike" I posted earlier). This was in the late 1960's, I think. In the 1970's I was riding my cousin's Suzuki monkey bike and another cousin's off-road version of a Honda 125. I rode a street version of the Honda 125 during summer in England and Europe. That was late 1970's. Since then, I've only ridden one-day rentals when we go to the Caribbean, but done many of those in the last few decades.

The pictures are just ones I've grabbed just now off the Internet.

I had similar experiences in my youth. This brings back memory. Heh heh heh...

I do motorcycle camp when I go to rallies or with some buddies a couple times
A year. But mostly we stay in modest hotels. I wish they would make a tent that you can stand up in that fits on a bike. I have added a trailer this year and will be doing some shakedown trips to work out the bugs before trying it long distance.

You all are giving me the urge to ride again. This has been collecting dust for the last few years:

2dnp6p.jpg

I do motorcycle camp when I go to rallies or with some buddies a couple times
A year. But mostly we stay in modest hotels. I wish they would make a tent that you can stand up in that fits on a bike. I have added a trailer this year and will be doing some shakedown trips to work out the bugs before trying it long distance.

a can sleep in my tent along with my bike...i stand up in it to load my bike while it's pouring down rain. google the Redverz tent.

Attachments

• 176 (2).jpg
    176 (2).jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 171 (2).jpg
    171 (2).jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 169 (2).jpg
    169 (2).jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 16
I spent some time last night watching that guy and his girlfriend going down the Dalton Hwy, then across the Canadian prairie in the winter. Too daring for me.

Even when they cross the US going east to west on a set of trails called the Trans America Trails (TAT), it made me cringe when I recalled my own experience riding trails. I had a couple of dirt bikes, and my son and I used to ride the national forest trails around my high-country home. On a long ride of 5-6 hours on rocky trails, I would come back with my butt sore from all the pounding. I don't see that I can take that abuse for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom