Munich Oktoberfest Question

NoiseBoy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I will be in Munich during the first week of Oktoberfest. I plan to see many places during my trip including the inside of one of the big beer tents at the festival. There are two of us and we don't have reservations for a tent, so I would like to get the forum's advice on how early we should arrive in order to find seats? The websites mention different seating times, but I am not clear on the details. I'd like to experience a full tent, but I don't need to close the place down. Tentative plan is to go on Monday if the weather is good. So, what time should a couple plan on arriving in order to have a decent chance at seats? And how will the "seating times" impact us?

I've read some other threads here on things to see in Bavaria, so I think our week will be pretty full, but feel free to post your "must see" ideas too.

My trips are too long ago to be helpful to you but, you can also sit at tables just outside the tents if necessary. In decent weather, that's also a nice experience.

We went 2 years ago. It was a blast!

We did not have reservations but went mid-morning/early afternoon. There were seats available in every tent we visited but they were pretty crowded. However, if you attend in the evening, you will want a reservation for sure.

Find a German speaker on here to make the reservation for you. I try to go to the more traditional Bavarian tents than the younger "hipper" ones that just get a little crazy.

I went to Oktoberfest in Munich in 2016.

We (5 adults) arrived on a weekday (Monday, IIRC), around 11 -11:30am and had no problems (=no wait) in getting an inside table at the first tent we entered. (Tent = semi-permanent building with a band on a large stage, seating 6,000 people at large picnic-style tables that can seat ~10-12 people, with adjacent permanent flush-toilet facilities.)

We spent an hour or so there, drinking beer (1 liter = 10 euro) and eating lunch, and then wandered around. A while later we stopped at another beer "tent" and had no problem with getting an inside table (which we shared with some Germans who were already seated there) to drink another liter of beer apiece while watching the crowd start chanting whenever some brave soul decided to stand and chug their stein-ful of beer.

A few hours later we stopped at another tent/building that specialized in desserts/coffee/wine/cocktails. Again, we were seated right away.

They seem to have crowd-handling down to a science. And the wait staff are professional servers from all over the country. They typically take 3 weeks (vacation?) off to work Oktoberfest where they make as much in tips there as they do the rest of the year 'back home'.

(I did see some tents had some reserved seating around the sides and upstairs in sort of a balcony/mezzanine area...but have no further info.)

Due to the recent spate of terrorist attacks in Europe, they were limiting the size of any bags that could be brought in -- they had to be quite small. (Check their site for size details.) My medium-size handbag was too large, so my hostess had loaned me a tiny bag for the day. There were several 'pop up' locker facilities right outside the Oktoberfest grounds (for 5 euro per locker) for items too large to be allowed in.

It was fun to see so many young people dressed in dirndls and lederhosen. I guess it has become quite popular.

Everything was neat, tidy and orderly. And everyone seemed very well behaved. Tons of beer was being consumed but I didn't see anyone acting drunk/disorderly.

Have fun!

omni

Back
Top Bottom