Need help planning a trip: Denver to Albuquerque and back

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It is looking very much like we will be flying to denver in august, renting an Rv, and driving to albuquerque and back. Any good websites, resources, other tips on how to plan the logistics of the trip once we pick up the RV? How do I figure out where to camp? Since it will be high season, I assume we will need reservations, no? Is it foolish to even consider boondocking along the way as a backup plan?

I just went through this for my trip. I just bit the bullet and made the reservations. Did some careful thinking about how long I want to stay in each place, but of course you can never tell until you get there.

You can check out my intinerary at: http://calsurftrip.blogspot.com/

Too bad our trips won't intersect!

Brewer, you'll have a chance to visit one of my favorite places, Ft. Union National Monument http://www.nps.gov/foun. Oh and the Colorado Gator Farm http://www.gatorfarm.com/ is supposed to be great -- imagine alligators at 8000 feet. I hope you'll get to Taos on the trip too. There are several fun non-interstate ways to get from Denver to Alb.

Lots of National Forest between the two -- primitive camping should be reasonably easy.

Have a greatt trip!

Coach

I often use Woodalls .. You can pick up a copy of their book in most bookstores. I often just use their website woodalls.com. Depending on the time of the year we may or may not make reservations.. usally we get on the road and call ahead. There are so many options depending on what you are in... generally it depends on what you prefer.. Some like state parks others like sites with amenities... Woodalls gives pretty good descriptions.. If you are ok with KOA campgrounds their website is very good too.

Make sure to see Mesa Verde at the Four Corners on the way. Santa Fe is a must but make reservations. If time allows, see the Carlsbad Caverns.

I just discovered the site below. You can make camping reservations at National Parks, National Forests, national recreation areas, Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds, etc.:

www.recreation.gov

Red-y said:
I just discovered the site below. You can make camping reservations at National Parks, National Forests, national recreation areas, Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds, etc.:

www.recreation.gov

That is a really great site! Thanks.

BUM said:
Don't forget that in a pinch, Wal-Mart parking lots are overnight RV friendly.

Yup, truck stops too, usually. But not exactly how I plan on spending vacation time with the kids, especially as I am a compulsive planner.

How big an RV? Its been a few years, but think you'll be able to stay in forest service campgrounds without reservations if arriving during the week, but these often have only pit toilets and a single faucet for filling water tanks. Commercial campgrounds, such as KOA, usually have nice facilities, but you probably should reserve. http://www.koakampgrounds.com/

In the Colorado Springs area is the Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, Cripple Creek, and the Molly Kathleen Mine tour.
If you make it to Santa Fe, I suggest the Canyon Road art galleries.

Yeah, stop in Taos if possible. Do "Old Town "in Santa Fe and in Albuquerque. Check out the Tram ride to Sandia Peak in Albuquerque.

I use Woodalls.com and sometimes TrailerLifeDirectory.com (I like Woodalls better).

I also have a Good Sam Club membership (goodsamclub.com) that has a trip routing service as part of my membership. It has a bunch of options like showing Rest Areas, Mountain Grades, Emergency Numbers, and of course, campgrounds along the route. Most of the 'RV Clubs' have services like that. I think a Good Sam membership is like $30...so it may be worth it fo you.

Also, check out the Open Road Forums at http://www.rv.net/forum/

Have a good time, I haven't been in the 'real mountains' for a long time....*sigh*.

Your main problem, as I see it, is to resist the lure of the turnoff to Taos. Then if you resist that one, the one to Santa Fe is coming up pretty soon. I am warning you, once you make the turn off to Santa Fe, you are going to enter an alternative universe and you're going to really like it. Especially New Mexican cuisine. And you aren't going to want to get back on I-25 to Albuquerque any time soon. Have a great trip!

I have a preliminary itinerary that I will post when I get a chance. Perhaps someone will tell me if it overly ambitious.

You will love the different landscapes, green mountains to lava flows. The entire drive from Denver to Albuquerque takes about 6 hours, maybe 8 if driving a large RV. Albqu has an awesome aquarium and zoo, make sure you make some time for them with the kid. I lived in Gallup, NM for 2 years and made the trip through Albuquerque to Denver many times. How long you have to stay? If you have a chance, Inscription Rock is well worth the drive to see the writings of Spanish Conquestadors. Too much to see in two years, good luck!!

SonnyJim

OK, here is our rough itinerary.

Saturday: arrive in Denver and pick up the behemoth RV. Figure out how to use/drive the thing and maybe stock up the larder. Spend evening with in-laws.
Sunday: Depart Denver in the middle of the day, head to Walsenberg. There is a state park outside walsenberg with a nice lake and many campsites.
Monday: Head for Albuquerque. Sister in law will be there, so we will visit with her when available. Will I be able to park on the street/driveway for the night, or do I need a campsite?
Tuesday: Mooch around/sightsee in Albuquerque. Stay overnight.
Wednesday: Head for Northen NM/Southern CO (possibly end up around Alamosa). Stop along the way in/around Taos.
Thursday: Head to the Great Sand Dunes area. Possibly visit gator farm. ::) Stay near the dunes.
Friday: Head toward Denver via the rockies. Stay overnight somewhere in the mountains, but will need to be in a pass/valley/gorge so as not to drop dead from too high altitude.
Saturday: Return to denver and get rid of RV. Spend night with in-laws.
Sunday: Fly home.

Does this sound doable without killing ourselves? What should I make sure not to miss, especially around Albuquerque? Any suggestions where to stay in the mountains on the way back?

brewer12345 said:
Wednesday: Head for Northen NM/Southern CO (possibly end up around Alamosa). Stop along the way in/around Taos.

I highly recommend you take in the small town of Chama (NW of Santa Fe on 64/84) and head to Alamosa from there via Hwy 17 to Antonito, CO. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railway (narrow gague steam driven) runs between Chama and Antonito, and 17 parallels it for much of the route. My grown kids still remember seeing it steam along beside us and stopping to see it take on water at a tower beside the road.

brewer12345 said:
Does this sound doable without killing ourselves?

No. But if you didn't, would it truly qualify as a family vacation? :)

Back
Top Bottom