New Bag

RobbieB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since travel is on the list I ordered up a new bag. An extra large Timbuk2 CoPilot.

Not a carry on. Hard back, serious handle and serious ball bearing skateboard wheels. I be ready to go - :)

It arrived today and it's just what I wanted, large;

27987782231_d5f76180f2_z.jpg

And sturdy;

27451392144_ff79ca69e4_z.jpg

I be ready to go - :)

Don't know much about bags but I love the staging of the picture.

Ha!

The m/c has it's own built in removable luggage. This is for airplanes (checked) or car trips (trunk)

Your new traveling bag is very nice.

You folks are too funny/clever.

Seriously.

On our trips, I've noticed that many world travelers are using 21" or 22" rolling bags. And they would never check a bag unless absolutely required to do so.

I remember my father hauling those huge bags around for my mother--who never learned how to pack. I think he'd been able to travel into his 80's had he not had to lug around her 45-50 pound bags.

We now travel with TravelPro carry on's that weigh 6.5 pounds unloaded. And I can really feel the difference in ultra light baggage when we travel--20 pounds loaded. We follow Rick Steves' packing list with some minimal changes for our needs. And we can travel indefinitely with what we take with us.

My best travel tip is to get all pants and jeans heavy starched at the laundry. A pair of jeans will look good after 10 days if you keep the mud off them. We also scrapped the 17" laptop for a 1 pound Chromebook that we use on wifi at hotels.

I always check my bag because it always has a bottle of booze in it and you can't carry booze on anymore unless it's in those teensy-weensy bottles.

Can you lift it up overhead when loaded? Necessary for train travel.

We have been doing carry on only since we retired a few years ago. One week or six months we each take the same bag.

But they are heavy. We do not want a bag that weighs, like our current carry on rollers, 5 plus pounds. Three pounds would be more like it. Looking seriously at the IT carry-on at 3 pounds.

Plus, softer side is better for us to fit into overheads on planes, trains, etc. We also good rollers..one set is fine. Hard to find both in a reasonably priced bag. The weight really counts on some European and SE Asia airlines, not to mention we want to carry something as light as possible. Does not have to be bullet proof either. If we find the right one we have no issue if it only lasts for three-five years. Not looking to pass it down when we die or stop travelling in this manner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom