Newfoundland?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone been to Newfoundland for a vacation? Where, specifically, did you go? How long did you spend there? What did you do? What's good and bad about Newfoundland? Any other thoughts?

Has anyone been to Newfoundland for a vacation?
I've been to the Labrador part of the Canadian Province of Newfoundland & Labrador. It wasn't a vacation although it was a holiday - Christmas 1974.

Where, specifically, did you go?
Goose Bay - mostly the alert shack and the flight line.

How long did you spend there?
A week, but it seemed much, much longer.

What did you do?
Tried not to freeze my @ss off while keeping the world safe for democracy.

What's good and bad about Newfoundland?
It's a long way from Texas.

Any other thoughts?
Don't forget your Long Johns.

Did not get that far. Only to Halifax and a few small towns outside. One was Peggy's Cove.

Was returning from Jan Mayen in the North Atlantic. That far north we had one good day with mirror smooth ocean, and Dory races around the ship and in between the icebergs. Way cool. A Dory being a flat bottomed double ender, which we had for lifeboats. The Aurora Borealis was out in full force, splendid is a gross understatement.

I'm sure further north lots of tundra, spectacular views when not socked in.

Halifax was very windy the few days there. The cab driver was complaining about the wind lifting the big chevy station wagon cab. We were, ahem, three sheets to the wind so did not notice the source of complaint. Do recall having coffee with creamer made out of some kind of fish oil, the little floating oil spots on top of the coffee were dead giveaway. Still better than ten hour old Coast Guard coffee, on the fisheries flights.

Much of the ship's crew were Newfies. A really great bunch of guys.

The good:

• Cod tongues
  • Jig's dinner
  • Screech
  • the empty lanscape
The bad:

• Cod tongues
  • Jig's dinner
  • Screech
  • the weather
  • the beaches
  • Danny Williams

Last edited:
yep, been there via motorcycle in 81', was like going back in time in most every way, the fishing and the wildlife are unbelievable

Lived there for a year and have been back several times. I love the place, but it may be a bit too weird for some of y'all. My favourite thing about Newfoundland is the humour. If you want, PM me for more info.

Newfoundland/The Rock is a long way from just about anywhere.Prebook your ferry going and coming.If you are going up the west coast of Nfld the ferry leaves from Sydney Nova Scotia and takes about 11 hours,A trip to St Johns in the east takes about 22 hours.Things to see are mostly scenic and include many fishing villages,Provincial parks,icebergs,whale watching.Viking ruins. The friendliest people and great seafood.Be aware this island is big,driving up the west coast is a 6-7 hour trip if you dont stop,driving from Cornerbrooke across the island can take 10 hours, from the northern tip to the southeastern Avonlea penninsula is 1100 kilometers and if you are doing much driving watch out for moose as they are everywhere.
Home | Iceberg Finder | Find icebergs in Newfoundland and Labrador

Gros Morne Newfoundland - Travel information, Accommodations, Hiking, Camping, Restaurants

Went to "The Rock" in the summer of '05 to visit my sister and BIL who were living in St. John's at the time (BIL is a Newfie by the way). Spent a couple of days in St. John's and walked around a lot. Rented a car for the remainder of the week and spent the nights in some really nice B&B's in old fishing villages. The scenery was amazing.

The highlight of the trip though had to be our trip by ferry from Fortune, NL to St. Pierre & Miquelon, located off the coast. Pretty neat experience since both of these islands are under French control and we had to clear Customs to get back into Canada! We also found that the locals live like the Europeans do: stores would close at lunch for a couple of hours, pace of life was VERY slow, etc. Bienvenue aux îles Saint-Pierre et Miquelon - Welcome to St Pierre and Miquelon

If you do go, don't forget to check out DILDO, Nfld (I'm not kidding....that's the name of a real town) :blush: Welcome to Dildo Trinity Bay Newfoundland and Labrador Canada Tourism

Did not get that far. Only to Halifax and a few small towns outside. One was Peggy's Cove....

Halifax was very windy the few days there.

Been to Nova Scotia. We loved Halifax and Cape Breton Island. Also saw Peggy's Cove - nice little town.

Lived there for a year and have been back several times. I love the place, but it may be a bit too weird for some of y'all. My favourite thing about Newfoundland is the humour. If you want, PM me for more info.

Thanks, I may do that if we pursue this. Thinking at the moment is a flight from Montreal to St. John's. (We live in VT, 2 hours S of Montreal.) Spend a week or so on the Avalon Peninsula. Day trips exploring. Hopefully an Irish pub or two and some Celtic music in St. John's. Some hiking and outdoor stuff. Since we were in Patagonia in December, it would be neat to be an equivalent distance north of the equator - perhaps a bit further - within the same year.

If you do go, don't forget to check out DILDO, Nfld (I'm not kidding....that's the name of a real town) :blush:

I checked on the map and it looks like it's in striking distance of where we may go. Couldn't miss a place like that!

We had a great vacation in Newfoundland last July. Flew in and out of St. John's. Rented a car and saw as much of the island as we could in 2 weeks.

Highlights - the people. Friendly, great sense of humour.

Icebergs off Bay Bulls - 1/2 hour south of St. John's

Picnic at Ferryland lightouse - about 2 hours south of St. John's.

www.lighthousepicnics.ca

Port Rexton and Fisher's Loft Inn - about 3 hours' drive north of St. John's. Near Trinity. Live theatre. Kayaking. Great hiking on the Skerwink Trail.

www.fishersloft.com

Gros Morne National Park - a (long) day's drive from Port Rexton on the western side of the island. UNESCO World Heritage Site. Incredible hiking. Incredible scenery. Don't miss the Western Brook Pond boat tour.

L'Anse Aux Meadows National Historic Site. About 5 hours north of Gros Morne at the northernmost tip of the island. Viking Settlement dating from 1000 CE. Another UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Parks Canada - L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site of Canada

If you want anymore info on places to stay, things to see, send me a message.

All the best

Rob

Attachments

• nfld - iceberg.jpg
    nfld - iceberg.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
  • nfld - lighthouse.jpg
    nfld - lighthouse.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
  • nfld - fishers loft.jpg
    nfld - fishers loft.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4
  • nfld - skerwink.jpg
    nfld - skerwink.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • nfld - western brook.jpg
    nfld - western brook.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2
We had a great vacation in Newfoundland last July. Flew in and out of St. John's. Rented a car and saw as much of the island as we could in 2 weeks.... If you want anymore info on places to stay, things to see, send me a message.

Rob,

Thank you very much for the commentary, the links and the photos. Based on the photos, Newfoundland is our kind of place. I may well take you up on the offer for specifics as we get closer to the time.

My wife and I are weird in that we have no interest in Florida, Caribbean cruises and the like. I thin we will like "the Rock."

I’ve never been to Texas but I’ve been warned. I’ve never been to Newfoundland but I was once surrounded by a group of Canadians in the observation car on VIA Rail. They grilled me to make sure I was not Canadian and then made fun of Newfoundland for hours or was it half hours? They managed to thoroughly entertain me starting with a long discussion of Canadian time zones; everywhere I go, Canadians are comedians and I have no reason to believe people in the eastern provinces would be any different.

Love the photos.

I’ve never been to Texas but I’ve been warned. I’ve never been to Newfoundland but I was once surrounded by a group of Canadians in the observation car on VIA Rail. They grilled me to make sure I was not Canadian and then made fun of Newfoundland for hours or was it half hours? They managed to thoroughly entertain me starting with a long discussion of Canadian time zones; everywhere I go, Canadians are comedians and I have no reason to believe people in the eastern provinces would be any different.

Love the photos.

Newfies are the funniest Canadians. They also have the most sex. No, really!

It's a long way from Texas.

Don't forget your Long Johns.

:ROFLMAO:

Hey, RE, I was in San Antone for a couple of days just a few days ago. It hit 91 but felt like 90. And as I was driving on the aptly named Culebra road I noted the spring ritual of young rattlers coming out of hiding is still going strong.

Hey, RE, I was in San Antone for a couple of days just a few days ago. It hit 91 but felt like 90. And as I was driving on the aptly named Culebra road I noted the spring ritual of young rattlers coming out of hiding is still going strong.
Yep. But when it hit 99 on Thursday even the culebras were looking for shade.

Back
Top Bottom