Non-Refundable Hotels and Trip Planning

We booked a Holiday Inn Express in Dallas last week. Senior rate: $81, guaranteed rate: $80. I knew we were going, so I saved the buck! :)

We do extended land trips. We seldom book too far in advance. We use the web...venere, agoda, booking, whatever, to book as we go. We want the flexibility to change our itinerary. We will typically reserve in our first and second stops but keep it open after that. On our last trip we went with one way air. Got good return air later. Doing the same when we leave next week. One way air with a few hotels. B&B's booked but the rest is open, including air home.

We will only pay in advance if we are certain to be going and if there is a substantial financial benefit to doing so. And there has to be good value for us.

We have traveled extensively, and I'm okay guaranteeing a room with a credit card. I do not like to prepay, however.

We prefer to stay in bed and breakfasts and off the beaten path locations. We also like to have somewhere to stay on our first stop and make reservations via internet as we go along. We do not travel in high season, either.

With a notebook or laptop, there's no reason you cannot find a place to stay on Venere.com, AirBnB.com or Booking.com in virtually every place in the world. In most major cities, I will have checked out the accommodations closely from customer recommendations to online photographs.

I liked a bed and breakfast outside Rome where they just took my name and phone number without deposit or prepayment. We paid upon our leaving. They said you just have to trust people.

I cannot remember anytime I've lost any funds on accommodations.

With Airbnb, you will prepay. Airbnb holds the funds until you check-in, then pays the landlord. I'm sure that making $ on the float is part of Airbnb's business model. Cancellation/refund policies vary by property and length of stay.

I agree with what you're saying about AirBnB. Immediately upon leaving the property, they're wanting your feedback on the property and the owners. At the same time, they're getting feedback from the owner on how you kept their property--cleanliness, etc. I appreciate that.

I don't have any problem prepaying AirBnB in the short term. But I wouldn't want to pay them 6 months ahead of my visit. There are too many things out of my control in this world.

Hotels.com is another website that often wants prepayments, where Booking.com doesn't most of the time.

I agree with what you're saying about AirBnB. Immediately upon leaving the property, they're wanting your feedback on the property and the owners. At the same time, they're getting feedback from the owner on how you kept their property--cleanliness, etc. I appreciate that.

Yep, me too. I also value the fact that Airbnb holds the $ until 24hrs after the guest occupies the place. This protects the guest (me), and is worth the float to me.

I rarely use non refundable hotels since vacation plans can change quickly.

Besides, I am a Diamond Guest so I get anything I want.

Just booked some non refundable nights for our Greece trip next month.

The average saving was 18/20 percent. Made a difference. Also cut down on how much cash we take.

Back
Top Bottom