Older Travel Photos

Great stuff, Nemo2. Thanks!

That time period brings back some memories for me as some of my photos of back then were of the same quality. You must have been a handful in your early years! Way much so than I was (or any of my friends). I was single until my mid-30's and spent a bit of that youthful "free" time running around but not anywhere as adventurous as your travels. (I did spend a night in a German jail, though!)

Nemo2, I enjoy your photos and commentary. I do NOT enjoy sitting for a long time looking at my friend's travel photos. It's usually blurry, bad angles, too dark, the backs of people and most of the time has no idea about the who, what, why, where and when. A couple of us gave him photography lessons one year hoping that he would do better. We think he's worse.

Glad you enjoy them!

My late wife & I used up about 36 rolls of film in Kenya - we had the film developed (slides) in Nairobi, sat outside having coffee at the Norfolk Hotel, (I had to stay there; The Norfolk and the Pera Palace in Istanbul are the only hotels I really 'wanted' to stay in), went through them*, and tossed about 34 rolls worth. :LOL:

DW digitized most, (pretty much all) of the pics here from the slides.....(digital is soooo much better/easier).....hence the irregularities, which came from the originals.

(*While we sorted through the slides we also took a moment to chuckle at the juxtaposition between the African desk staff at The Norfolk, who were dressed in dark three piece suits, and the tourists dismounting from air conditioned buses who were all attired like Jungle Jim.)

Last edited:
Great stuff, Nemo2. Thanks!

That time period brings back some memories for me as some of my photos of back then were of the same quality. You must have been a handful in your early years! Way much so than I was (or any of my friends). I was single until my mid-30's and spent a bit of that youthful "free" time running around but not anywhere as adventurous as your travels. (I did spend a night in a German jail, though!)

Story of my life here, written almost 3 years ago: The Effect Of Serendipity On Retirement with several comments/responses following. (The initial text, which when I re-read it, sounded like an "I" test, was only intended to be an "Is this what you're looking for?" first draft, but they went ahead before I could say "Whoa".)

Never did spend a night in jail, but was detained at machine gun point in Basra, Iraq, in 1963...first at an army camp, then at a police station, for about 16 hours, on suspicion of attempting to smuggle an Iraqi citizen out of the country, (to 'where', you might ask).

Released that evening and crossed into Iran the next day.

It's a drab snowy day here, we just lost a heap of money (again), and it's 47 days until we take off on our next trip..........so....more pics:

Kenya: "March of the Toreadors"....(with apologies to 'Carmen') All these huge animals and not a sound....kinda eerie.

30dbk14.jpg

"Get UP mom, let's DO something!"
2q8ymvs.jpg

Circa 1985/6 Amboseli Lodge, Kenya......no game drives in the heat of the day, so most everyone heads for les chaise longues........watched intently from the treetops by opportunistic Black Faced Vervets........guy near us, (what was he thinking?), has some fruit, which he places on his side table.......and gets up, (possibly for a washroom break).....I'll bet he hadn't gone four paces...and of course he didn't think to look back:
1z333ph.jpg

Come to think of it....there WAS a remote possibility that alcohol featured in the story. ;)

On the ship I even got to be King Neptune on the crossing-the-line ceremony. :LOL:
Here's a group of pictures from a couple of my early and more exotic cruises. I wasn't warned about the crossing the line thing. I'll never forget the start of the intercom announcement "A flying fish has landed on our deck..."

Attachments

• Distant Cruises Paste-up.jpg
    Distant Cruises Paste-up.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
^ Nice little ships, I've never had the good fortune to be on ones that size - smallest one I've sailed on was twice as big as the larger of the two......someday...perhaps.

We were on a 38 passengers yacht in the Adriatic, on a cruise of the Croatian Islands. Everything amazing until a cyclone struck us on the return trip to Dubrovnik. After 3 hours of being heaved to and fro, we were glad to return to terra firma!

(Funny how we always imagined the Adriatic to be peaceful!)

PS Keep those pics coming everyone.

As part of my fiscal avoidance strategy, since today's shaping [-]up[/-] down to be even worse than yesterday, I'll monkey around:

"Sitting on a Stupa in Anuradhapura, such a fine sight to see..." (Apologies to the Eagles).........Sri Lanka 1985

2qth1zc.jpg

xefmb.jpg

Stopping for an on-the-road 'Big Gulp'...somewhere in Sri Lanka, 1985
a28aj5.jpg

'Best Buds' Kandy, Sri Lanka 1985
ouqnmt.jpg

Is that monkey doing yoga? That's a great shot.
There was a Black Friday sale on peanuts and he arrived on Tuesday so as to be first in line.

Mentioned blasé animals in Kenya previously.....this shot, from thirty years ago, shows just a few, (I counted twenty in all), minivans that surrounded a sleeping lion, (he didn't even bother to wake up), in Amboseli.

339ttsk.jpg

We asked our driver why, with all this space, everyone was on game drives in the same area......he said that this is where the big animals, that the tourists want to see, are.

We replied, fine, let's go somewhere else.......went to a section where we were the only vehicle......saw ostrich, jackals, and a whole slew of smaller animals....it was great!

Again, these photos are amazing, and a worthy distraction from the market conditions! :)
Gold star for the Charleston ones you posted--I just saw those!
Crazy to think that the game areas were that crowded 30 years ago. I saw 100s of people lined up along the road in Yellowstone to take photos of a bear...crazy!

This composition, in Blue & Beige, is entitled "Hi Sailor - new in town?"

Nothing is known about the subject, other than that the pic was taken circa 1986/7 somewhere around Lagos, Portugal:

jtudkm.jpg

I think that you are right about itchy feet. When I was 19, living in Quebec, a friend and I bought an old VW van and travelled through Canada and USA.

After my wife and I were married and living in Calgary in 1979 we decided to change jobs and move to the west coast. We sold up but went to the UK first. Bought a used VW van and travelled through Europe for four months.

We travelled with and without our children. My son has the bug. My daughter does not.

We have always travelled. The first thing we did after retiring was downsize, store or belongings, and travel for seven months. Now we are back but we travel at least twice a year for 2-3 months at a time.

And we still have lots of places to see. If it was up to me, I would store everything and travel for 12-18 months quite easily.

In the 1960s I lived with a bunch of guys in the Toronto Annex; people were coming & going, (we even had a guy knock on the door, looking for somewhere to 'flop', who had gotten our address from someone he'd met in Germany) - they told a story that, before my arrival, a few of them were sitting around exchanging travel stories.....one guy said that the tales were making him want to take off again.......a little while later he said "I think I'll go.....in fact, I think I'll go right *** now".

He got up, packed his bag, said goodbye....and nobody heard from him again. :LOL:

Curse of the Traveler

On the restless road to nowhere
There's no certain peace it seems
Desire to keep on moving
Till the river of dreams
Is it just because someone told you
Is it just because you found
Old freedom feels uneasy when duty is around

Curse of the Traveler

Thanks for that....always liked Chris Rea!

It wasn't until 1986, (I'd be 44 in a few months), in Senegal, heading from Dakar to Tambacounda, (which used to be part of Mali), enroute to Niokolo-Koba Park, that I had an epiphany......if we'd've landed in Niokolo-Koba, I'd've been heading for Dakar. "What's over there? What's over there?":LOL:

Back
Top Bottom