Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #41

Keep 'em coming Nemo. I love these pics.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Keep 'em coming Nemo. I love these pics.
Oh boy....as if I need encouraging..

Jerusalem, Easter 1982

Miners putting on dance demonstrations, Witwatersrand, RSA...1983

Elephants digging for water, Kruger Park, RSA...1983

We had a small rented camper and had been driving for hours without seeing a thing.....rounded a curve in the dirt road....and there must've been 150 elephants digging in the river bed for water......we parked, shut off the engine, made coffee, and watched for about 90 minutes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #43

These are amazing, Nemo. And yes, keep 'em coming. Love the elephants!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
These are amazing, Nemo. And yes, keep 'em coming. Love the elephants!
No elephants in this batch, (although I do have more, LOL), but something closer to home for you:

April 1966....on board the USS Yorktown, IIRC

Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Love the elephants!
Sri Lanka 1985:

Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #46

1986: The Casamance area of southern Senegal, (which has fought sporadically, (Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance (MFDC)), and often violently, for independence from Senegal, since 1982...the latest ceasefire, (AFAIK), declared in 2014)...........we stayed at a small guest house by the sea....our waiter mentioned he'd like to visit his animist village....we had a rental car....off we went:

Animist tree:

At the village....my late wife......the drum is/was apparently still used. (She also learned how to grind corn/maize.)

With the villagers, I shared a couple 'glasses' (actually a cutoff bleach bottle) of 'palm wine' which was 'aging' in the sun in a 45 gallon drum - that, along with the oysters gathered below, and consumed back at the beach that evening, made for very upset intestines. VERY!

Getting oysters along the Casamance River....the other side is Guinea-Bissau.

Banjul: Fending off hawkers while waiting in The Gambia for the ferry to cross the Gambia river back into northern Senegal.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #47

The Selous....southern Tanzania, early 1988:

Our fearless ranger:

"How high's the water, Mama?"

"Let's do 'er"

The elephants in this area of the Selous were, at that time, and unlike places such as Kenya, where they are quite blasé about tourists, 'wild'.......we approached this group slowly from downwind......then the trunks came up and they became aware of us.........and so:

Film camera, blurry shot, (the ranger was attempting to get his rifle where my camera was).......and the driver was desperately attempting to locate reverse gear................apparently, tuskless elephants, since they feel more vulnerable, compensate by increasing their propensity for aggression.......we were out of there tout de suite...........but not before my buddy who was sitting on the spare tire, (we were traveling with friends), bounced off the roof when we hit a bump at speed, and, when he and the tire landed, squished an uncomfortable part of his anatomy:

Exit.....pursued by an elephant.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nemo2's travel photos are the best!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Nemo2's travel photos are the best!
Thank you! (But I can hear the collective groan...."Don't encourage him".)

Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #50

Nemo2, I enjoy your photos and commentary. I do NOT enjoy sitting for a long time looking at my friend's travel photos. It's usually blurry, bad angles, too dark, the backs of people and most of the time has no idea about the who, what, why, where and when. A couple of us gave him photography lessons one year hoping that he would do better. We think he's worse.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Great stuff, Nemo2. Thanks!

That time period brings back some memories for me as some of my photos of back then were of the same quality. You must have been a handful in your early years! Way much so than I was (or any of my friends). I was single until my mid-30's and spent a bit of that youthful "free" time running around but not anywhere as adventurous as your travels. (I did spend a night in a German jail, though!)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Nemo2, I enjoy your photos and commentary. I do NOT enjoy sitting for a long time looking at my friend's travel photos. It's usually blurry, bad angles, too dark, the backs of people and most of the time has no idea about the who, what, why, where and when. A couple of us gave him photography lessons one year hoping that he would do better. We think he's worse.
Glad you enjoy them!

My late wife & I used up about 36 rolls of film in Kenya - we had the film developed (slides) in Nairobi, sat outside having coffee at the Norfolk Hotel, (I had to stay there; The Norfolk and the Pera Palace in Istanbul are the only hotels I really 'wanted' to stay in), went through them*, and tossed about 34 rolls worth.

DW digitized most, (pretty much all) of the pics here from the slides.....(digital is soooo much better/easier).....hence the irregularities, which came from the originals.

(*While we sorted through the slides we also took a moment to chuckle at the juxtaposition between the African desk staff at The Norfolk, who were dressed in dark three piece suits, and the tourists dismounting from air conditioned buses who were all attired like Jungle Jim.)

Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Great stuff, Nemo2. Thanks!

That time period brings back some memories for me as some of my photos of back then were of the same quality. You must have been a handful in your early years! Way much so than I was (or any of my friends). I was single until my mid-30's and spent a bit of that youthful "free" time running around but not anywhere as adventurous as your travels. (I did spend a night in a German jail, though!)
Story of my life here, written almost 3 years ago: The Effect Of Serendipity On Retirement with several comments/responses following. (The initial text, which when I re-read it, sounded like an "I" test, was only intended to be an "Is this what you're looking for?" first draft, but they went ahead before I could say "Whoa".)

Never did spend a night in jail, but was detained at machine gun point in Basra, Iraq, in 1963...first at an army camp, then at a police station, for about 16 hours, on suspicion of attempting to smuggle an Iraqi citizen out of the country, (to 'where', you might ask).

Released that evening and crossed into Iran the next day.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #54

It's a drab snowy day here, we just lost a heap of money (again), and it's 47 days until we take off on our next trip..........so....more pics:

Kenya: "March of the Toreadors"....(with apologies to 'Carmen') All these huge animals and not a sound....kinda eerie.

"Get UP mom, let's DO something!"

Circa 1985/6 Amboseli Lodge, Kenya......no game drives in the heat of the day, so most everyone heads for les chaise longues........watched intently from the treetops by opportunistic Black Faced Vervets........guy near us, (what was he thinking?), has some fruit, which he places on his side table.......and gets up, (possibly for a washroom break).....I'll bet he hadn't gone four paces...and of course he didn't think to look back:

Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Come to think of it....there WAS a remote possibility that alcohol featured in the story.

On the ship I even got to be King Neptune on the crossing-the-line ceremony.
Here's a group of pictures from a couple of my early and more exotic cruises. I wasn't warned about the crossing the line thing. I'll never forget the start of the intercom announcement "A flying fish has landed on our deck..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distant Cruises Paste-up.jpg (74.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #56

^ Nice little ships, I've never had the good fortune to be on ones that size - smallest one I've sailed on was twice as big as the larger of the two......someday...perhaps.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We were on a 38 passengers yacht in the Adriatic, on a cruise of the Croatian Islands. Everything amazing until a cyclone struck us on the return trip to Dubrovnik. After 3 hours of being heaved to and fro, we were glad to return to terra firma!

(Funny how we always imagined the Adriatic to be peaceful!)

PS Keep those pics coming everyone.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #58

As part of my fiscal avoidance strategy, since today's shaping up down to be even worse than yesterday, I'll monkey around:

"Sitting on a Stupa in Anuradhapura, such a fine sight to see..." (Apologies to the Eagles).........Sri Lanka 1985

Stopping for an on-the-road 'Big Gulp'...somewhere in Sri Lanka, 1985

'Best Buds' Kandy, Sri Lanka 1985

Old 02-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #59

Is that monkey doing yoga? That's a great shot.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Is that monkey doing yoga? That's a great shot.
There was a Black Friday sale on peanuts and he arrived on Tuesday so as to be first in line.