Older Travel Photos

We didn't travel much growing up but here's one of me from PA about 1963 or 1964. Dad shot 8mm movies but not very many stills.

Attachments

• dino_ride.jpg
    dino_ride.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
22409021767_9d56405b11_n.jpg

My Grandfather crossing the country in the early 1960's. (or me last week - I'm not sure)

Last edited:
Nemo, I enjoyed all the photos.
Walt, Is that Dino?
Ronstar, That is a great shot of your grandfather.

Walt, Is that Dino?

Yes it is, made of cast concrete if I remember right.

Here's another one at the same gas station and the other one with some color correction and brightened shadows.

Sinclair at the time had an advertising campaign with a tie to dinosaurs and I guess this station owner wanted to take it a step further. A neat bit of roadside Americana.

Attachments

• dino_2.jpg
    dino_2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 30
  • dino_ride_2.jpg
    dino_ride_2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 28
This was taken in about 1982 when we were stationed in Europe. It was taken at the Roman Coliseum. The second on a camping trip in Idaho, circa 1976.

Last edited:
I'm the second from the left.

Attachments

• Steve_Don_Dave_stagecoach.jpg
    Steve_Don_Dave_stagecoach.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 34
Here I am circa 1962/3 on a day outing, looking "cool"

Attachments

• Joe Cool.jpg
    Joe Cool.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 34
I traveled almost constantly during most of my childhood. I have almost no photos of travel that include me, though, because I don't have any photos taken by other family members. I attached

(1) 1954: a photo taken of my family in Egypt, with me sitting on my mother's lap on a camel at age 6. Notice the grimace on my face. As you can see, my dislike of travel surfaced young! :D.

(2) 1958: a typical photo of the scads that I took with my Brownie camera, and still have. This one was pulling up to the dock in Moorea (I took the photo and so I am not in it).

(3) 1959: a photo of me at age 11, at a Japanese friend's house in Tokyo where her Mom insisted that I should borrow and wear a very fancy kimono.

Attachments

• Giza3.jpg
    Giza3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Tahiti - Moorea.jpg
    Tahiti - Moorea.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Tokyo_4.jpg
    Tokyo_4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
^ Hey, I know that camel driver! ;)

^ Hey, I know that camel driver! ;)

Hey, he was pretty cool! As I was getting off the camel that day, the camel suddenly stood up and I found myself falling an awfully long way towards the ground (those camels were tall!). The camel driver caught me and although scared I wasn't hurt at all. The camel was all spitting and being mean and he dealt with that at the same time. I thought he was the most wonderful camel driver who ever lived. :)

Here is a young buck at graduation from Uni, then Ottawa war memorial, then Butchart's Gardens all from circa 1965

Attachments

• KC-GradPic.jpg
    KC-GradPic.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 2 (89).jpg
    2 (89).jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2 (69).jpg
    2 (69).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
More memories:
French cemetery
San Fran
Mexican market

Attachments

• 43890031.jpg
    43890031.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 43890084.jpg
    43890084.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 43890040.jpg
    43890040.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 27
DW is currently, as a self imposed project, sorting all my old pics/slides.....here's one, (that may have been shown before...memory escapes me), circa 1988, feeding wild pups in Riyadh:

2iswgw6.jpg

More unearthed pics:

Circa 1986, Visitors to Nairobi will likely recognize this place - Carnivore Restaurant
20tl08y.jpg

A 'polite request' to move the truck - Kenya, circa 1986
nl4l04.jpg

Hippo swim team - Kenya
149z0pe.jpg

Wandering aimlessly in Saudi - late 1980s
m9nmlf.jpg

Beach time - Senegal, West Africa, circa 1987
2dqmvxy.jpg

Wow, you sure got some traveling in, in your younger days. Are you still traveling?

Wow, you sure got some traveling in, in your younger days. Are you still traveling?

79 days until our next jaunt. (One trip, even further back, in 1963, I went across the Pacific from Australia to England by ship, and then overland back to Australia......hardly took a pic.....had an old Kodak camera, little money, and film was (for me) expensive......the untaken pics reside in my head, and I bore people here with the taken ones. ;) )

People who love to travel can never cure their itchy feet. :)

Found this oldie, taken aboard the 16,000 plus ton R.H.M.S. Patris in 1966, en route from Australia to Greece; the majority of the passengers were Greeks either heading home after visiting family in Australia, or Australian residents going (back) to Greece for a visit, (IIRC there were only about 25 of us onboard who were not of Greek extraction).

The vessel, (long since scrapped), broke down in the Red Sea at one point....this was my second voyage on it (first was in 1965....it was cheap).....oh, I'm the one standing, wearing the 'University of Hawaii' sweatshirt that I purchased at Honolulu airport on a layover, San Francisco - Nadi, Fiji.

2lxh03.jpg

Last edited:
I think that you are right about itchy feet. When I was 19, living in Quebec, a friend and I bought an old VW van and travelled through Canada and USA.

After my wife and I were married and living in Calgary in 1979 we decided to change jobs and move to the west coast. We sold up but went to the UK first. Bought a used VW van and travelled through Europe for four months.

We travelled with and without our children. My son has the bug. My daughter does not.

We have always travelled. The first thing we did after retiring was downsize, store or belongings, and travel for seven months. Now we are back but we travel at least twice a year for 2-3 months at a time.

And we still have lots of places to see. If it was up to me, I would store everything and travel for 12-18 months quite easily.

Last edited:
I think that you are right about itchy feet.

In the 1960s I lived with a bunch of guys in the Toronto Annex; people were coming & going, (we even had a guy knock on the door, looking for somewhere to 'flop', who had gotten our address from someone he'd met in Germany) - they told a story that, before my arrival, a few of them were sitting around exchanging travel stories.....one guy said that the tales were making him want to take off again.......a little while later he said "I think I'll go.....in fact, I think I'll go right *** now".

He got up, packed his bag, said goodbye....and nobody heard from him again. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom