Older Travel Photos

Nemo, I have some buddies whose girlfriends will not let them take their credit cards with them to the bar when they meet up. Way too many trips were booked after a few pints!

Nothing like RIGHT now to take off on a trip! That's a great story, and I also love that photo from the ship. What a journey!

Nemo, I have some buddies whose girlfriends will not let them take their credit cards with them to the bar when they meet up. Way too many trips were booked after a few pints!

Nothing like RIGHT now to take off on a trip! That's a great story, and I also love that photo from the ship. What a journey!

Come to think of it....there WAS a remote possibility that alcohol featured in the story. ;)

On the ship I even got to be King Neptune on the crossing-the-line ceremony. :LOL:

:D:D

So, where's the photo of you as Neptune, I ask you:confused:? :D

Day & Night:

o720e1.jpg

o5vrkz.jpg

(Wasn't as if I had to audition & rehearse for the role...the only other guy with a beard was an orthodox Greek priest...and I don't think he was too interested. :LOL:)

OMG, that is WAY better than expected.
Awesome in every sense of the word!
I love everything about these photos. Everything.
If you were my DH, this would be blown up to poster size and hung over the mantle, is all I can say.

Brother Ric, my DW and my dad circa 1956, on a trip to Freeport ME.

img_1692576_0_264b262b390f59a29fad08c5e1524926.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Nemo, you've got nice photos and stories to tell.

Sure. But didn't you have to take occasional breaks from travel to go work to raise some money?

Sure. But didn't you have to take occasional breaks from travel to go work to raise some money?

I try not to dwell on those traumatic times. :LOL:

Some tired backpackers in Sierra's in the mid-60's.
6qxzdd.jpg

Last edited:
My mom, during her WAC training at Fort Oglethorpe, GA in 1944. She was a truck driver, although she had to sit on a telephone book to see through the windshield and stretch her legs to reach the pedals.

I know, "Your mother wears Army boots." :LOL:

Attachments

• 0105.jpg
    0105.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
Nemo, where did that black beard go?

I'm starting to think I got gypped by this fast talking used-beard salesman.....he used words like "Distinguished" and "Refined", so I traded it in...........and now all I have is this ratty old gray one. :(

Partly to keep the thread alive.....and partly because we're delving into old pics:

121burk.jpg

c018y.jpg

Al Kharj (approx 50 miles from Riyadh)....old palace, long since razed, and crater (purported to be from an asteroid/meteorite strike)

mbtoco.jpg

Coober Pedy, South Australia, circa 1961/2......opal miners live/lived underground....'town' later to attain some fame in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

16atlpj.jpg

My first ever airplane ride, (with shadow in the foreground), circa 1961/2...Alice Springs to Wyndham, West Australia.

2ljg4kp.jpg

Mahout, Sri Lanka 1985

n48g2g.jpg

Yemeni five & dime, Riyadh, 1982

Keep 'em coming Nemo. I love these pics.

Keep 'em coming Nemo. I love these pics.

Oh boy....as if I need encouraging..:LOL:

2wrpu6o.jpg

20k27ir.jpg

Jerusalem, Easter 1982

2qjhcp4.jpg

Miners putting on dance demonstrations, Witwatersrand, RSA...1983

28hg393.jpg

Elephants digging for water, Kruger Park, RSA...1983

We had a small rented camper and had been driving for hours without seeing a thing.....rounded a curve in the dirt road....and there must've been 150 elephants digging in the river bed for water......we parked, shut off the engine, made coffee, and watched for about 90 minutes.

Last edited:
These are amazing, Nemo. And yes, keep 'em coming. Love the elephants!

No elephants in this batch, (although I do have more, LOL), but something closer to home for you:

9zony8.jpg

April 1966....on board the USS Yorktown, IIRC
125t4iq.jpg

1986: The Casamance area of southern Senegal, (which has fought sporadically, (Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance (MFDC)), and often violently, for independence from Senegal, since 1982...the latest ceasefire, (AFAIK), declared in 2014)...........we stayed at a small guest house by the sea....our waiter mentioned he'd like to visit his animist village....we had a rental car....off we went:

Animist tree:

2ivd089.jpg

16gl4t0.jpg

At the village....my late wife......the drum is/was apparently still used. (She also learned how to grind corn/maize.)

332a5fk.jpg

f1id83.jpg

With the villagers, I shared a couple 'glasses' (actually a cutoff bleach bottle) of 'palm wine' which was 'aging' in the sun in a 45 gallon drum - that, along with the oysters gathered below, and consumed back at the beach that evening, made for very upset intestines. VERY!

Getting oysters along the Casamance River....the other side is Guinea-Bissau.
2iazh54.jpg

Banjul: Fending off hawkers while waiting in The Gambia for the ferry to cross the Gambia river back into northern Senegal.

veur7.jpg

The Selous....southern Tanzania, early 1988:

Our fearless ranger:

2yuztp4.jpg

"How high's the water, Mama?"

fxx8b9.jpg

"Let's do 'er"

2ugffp3.jpg

The elephants in this area of the Selous were, at that time, and unlike places such as Kenya, where they are quite blasé about tourists, 'wild'.......we approached this group slowly from downwind......then the trunks came up and they became aware of us.........and so:

z7uhu.jpg

Film camera, blurry shot, (the ranger was attempting to get his rifle where my camera was).......and the driver was desperately attempting to locate reverse gear................apparently, tuskless elephants, since they feel more vulnerable, compensate by increasing their propensity for aggression.......we were out of there tout de suite...........but not before my buddy who was sitting on the spare tire, (we were traveling with friends), bounced off the roof when we hit a bump at speed, and, when he and the tire landed, squished an uncomfortable part of his anatomy:

16mjxd.jpg

Exit.....pursued by an elephant. :LOL:

Nemo2's travel photos are the best!

Nemo2, I enjoy your photos and commentary. I do NOT enjoy sitting for a long time looking at my friend's travel photos. It's usually blurry, bad angles, too dark, the backs of people and most of the time has no idea about the who, what, why, where and when. A couple of us gave him photography lessons one year hoping that he would do better. We think he's worse.

Back
Top Bottom