On The Road

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW, DS & I are on Route 66 right now. We made it from CA to AZ & detoured to see the Grand Canyon. Liked the Oatman to Kingmal leg of R66. Albuquerque was nice, great spicy food in NM. Then on to Amarillo for steak at the Big Texan, did not try to eat the 72oz steak:eek: but enjoyed watching someone else try. Last night made it to Tulsa and Riverwalk. More interesting town than I thought it would be. Lots of interesting events on the trip, like seeing wolves in the Grand Canyon, a 'blue hole' in NM, lots of dead towns and some headed that way (Tumcumcari). Today we head off to the KS bit of old R66, then into MO but we are going to detour into Branson. Probably will not get there again so take advantage of being nearby. The next day into IL and on Tuesday to Chicago foe a warm reception:rolleyes:

DS is 18 and on break form college. This will probably be the last family trip of this kind. Nice to have three drivers. DS growing fast. Any things not to miss on R66 in MO or IL?

Mandetory retirement related info, checked my work email yesterday morning, looks like my buyout was approved this time, last official day on the books should be Mar 2nd, last work day Feb 28th and a bunch of leave to take between now and then.:D

Yakers, congrats on the buyout approval. I can appreciate how good that must feel.

As to your road trip, sounds like you got your kicks...;)

Good news on the buyout!

I think route 66 goes by St. Joseph Missouri, UncleMick's stomping grounds, but it is out of the way from Branson. If you get that way there is a fabulous Museum, the Glore Psychiatric Museum, that is well worth visiting. You can see such delights as the stomach contents of a woman with pica, who ate all sorts of things, from forks to nuts and bolts. Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri

Stay warm.

Yackers, George Washington Carver National Monument south of Joplin is a nice site.

Coach

Any things not to miss on R66 in MO or IL?

Sadly, no.

Ha ha, just kidding. Have a great trip (referring to your retirement)!

The Abraham Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL......It is fabulous! You can speed through it in about an hour....but if you have a bit more time it's better. The "Ghosts in the Library" exhibit is a MUST SEE......I still haven't figured out how they do it.

In Missouri you can stop at Route 66 State Park. It's located on the site of the 'now gone' town of Times Beach. The EPA evacuated and bought out the entire town do to dioxin contamination back in the early 1980's. Now it's a public park.....kinda weird if you ask me. It's located next to Eureka, MO on Rt. 66.

Happy Trails!!!

Today we head off to the KS bit of old R66, then into MO but we are going to detour into Branson. Probably will not get there again so take advantage of being nearby.

This is the off season in Branson, so there isn't much happening. Most of the shows end their season around the 1st week of December, and don't really get back into the swing again until March or April. Here's a list of what's available in January in Branson.

I forgot one in MO......the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. You can take the tram to the top of it. I want to get back there someday, and go up into it. I go past it a couple of times a year, but the last time I was 'up close & personal', was about a month before they installed the final section in 1965.

Also, if you're driving back the way you came, I highly recommend a stop in Oklahoma City at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. It's a very nice place with indoor and outdoor exhibits. They also have a nice restaurant/cafeteria so you can make it a sightseeing lunch break.

Route 66 goes through historic Carthage, MO where you can spend the night at Boots Motel, established in 1939. Carthage has some interesting turn of the century houses, one I used to live in. Nice town square with a fun candy store. Otherwise, that's it.

Historic Carthage, Missouri

Back
Top Bottom