Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've had this happen with various car rental companies over the years. It seems like it is a local problem with an asshat manager trying to meet some quota.

I regularly use Hertz off airport and they never even mention insurance or upsell. On this last trip, I reserved a Toyota Corolla and was given a new Dodge Charger at no extra charge.
Never used Hertz, but a recent Dodge Charger rental (free upgrade) was our favorite rental, ever. Seems like we get the best upgrades in airports when the employees are all hectic-acting.

We do not have a Costco in our state. Wish we did. There is one in Memphis and I am beginning to wonder if it would not be worth it to join. Even if we never get to shop there, just for car rentals?

While I have shopped on Priceline, we have never booked through them. has been helpful a couple times and we would use it again.

ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Asshat, lol! I've unfortunately experienced that! A local issue, but how vigilant is corporate?

Too easy to point out faults. I'll say Enterprise at Hethrow went above and beyond for me. If every rental car experience could be like that...

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
We do not have a Costco in our state. Wish we did. There is one in Memphis and I am beginning to wonder if it would not be worth it to join. Even if we never get to shop there, just for car rentals?

It may be. On our recent trip to PDX, the Costco car rental saved us more than $50 over the next best deal I could find. I think a basic Costco membership is $50/year.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Pays to try different options.

I'm planning out 2 week trip to Western US National Parks for the spring. Starting in Phoenix and ending in San Fran. As of right now Hotwire is about half the cost of Costco. I've had pretty good success with Hotwire.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
I'm gonna tell all your wives that you are trash talking their driving skills!

Learned about the Costco deal from here and was delighted to get a great deal for our last rental. Plan to use them again when we rent for a couple of weeks in October out west.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
picked up a 24hr PT j** for the summer at Enterprise shuttling cars back and forth to the airport from their cleaning facility, ~1mi away. couple things - Ent, Alamo, and National.. all the same company (same w/Avis&Budget, not sure about the rest). couldn't speak for other cities, but here, the only thing that determines where I put a clean, ready to go car when I take it to the airport is - over 20k miles doesn't go to National. other than that, put it where there's a space. So (here, at least) you'll get same vehicle at all 3. Make your choice of who to rent from accordingly.
Second, when they give you a free upgrade, it's because they don't have the smaller car available presently. Might in 10, or 30mins, when the wash&vacuum production line pumps one out, but they aren't really being that nice. And many times, when they are trying to talk you into upgrade, it's for the same reason; but if you agree, they get to charge you.

drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote