Join Early Retirement Today

Recommendations for Lodging in Amsterdam
Old 10-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Recommendations for Lodging in Amsterdam

Hi,

DW and I will be visiting Amsterdam for the first time next May. We will also be departing on a cruise ship from there, but are planning 4 days in AMS prior to the cruise, and 4 days after the cruise.

There's an excellent thread on ER discussing things to see and do (link below), but we would like your input on where to stay and whether to stay in a hotel or an airbnb apartment with cooking facilities. We don't plan on doing a ton of cooking but somewhere to cook a quick breakfast or dinner once or twice might be nice.

I guess we prefer to be close to the central Amsterdam area to minimize getting around time to the pier, etc. Most of the activities on our list are in Amsterdam proper.

Thanks in advance.

Must sees and dining in Amsterdam for a two-day visit.

Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You'll certainly enjoy Amsterdam. I wouldn't worry too much about what part of town you stay in, because there is a really good tram system that goes all over.

Get the Amsterdam Travel Ticket when you arrive in the airport and you can just get on any tram any time. It's pretty cheap, something like 10 a day as I recall.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

We have been to Amsterdam twice and stayed at the Movenpick Hotel both times. The last time, in September 2019, we took a cruise and the cruise terminal is almost next door to the Movenpick which makes it very convenient (just walk over). This is assuming your ship departs from this terminal. I understand some ships leave from another terminal. It is also convenient to the train station.

Hope this helps.
Oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hotel L'Europe. Pricey but right downtown and very well done.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We hate being in a little box piled up with a bunch of other identical little boxes.

So our starting point is always AirBNB. What we do is to sort the list with most expensive properties first, then skim past the castles and large houses to where the apartments begin. For a longer stay like yours we require a kitchen. We always require a private bath and a lift if the property is not on the ground or first floor. Recliner chairs are a plus as are laundry facilities. If we have a car we ask about available parking. We also look at location of course and absolutely look at references.

We never have a specific goal of saving money over living in a box, but it almost always seems to work out that way.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

We loved Banks Mansion. Room rate includes a nice cooked breakfast, lobby snacks and open bar. Rooms a bit on the small side but great location and relaxed ambiance were very good.
mnopqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnopqr View Post
We loved Banks Mansion. Room rate includes a nice cooked breakfast, lobby snacks and open bar. Rooms a bit on the small side but great location and relaxed ambiance were very good.
Almost stayed there last trip, so will certainly consider it for next time. Thanks for the reco.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Center about 3 times. It's extremely well located but can be pricey. If you want a lower price hotel, there is also the Crown Plaza in Amsterdam south which will require a car or public transportation to get into town. We stayed there once.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You'll certainly enjoy Amsterdam. I wouldn't worry too much about what part of town you stay in, because there is a really good tram system that goes all over.

Get the Amsterdam Travel Ticket when you arrive in the airport and you can just get on any tram any time. It's pretty cheap, something like 10 a day as I recall.
Thanks braumeister. We were planning on getting the iAmsterdam City Card, which includes all public transportation as well as museum entry to most museums (except Anne Frank House). It's a little pricy at about 100 euro for 4 days but I think it'll be worth it.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

No doubt it's worth it. The Rijksmuseum alone is 20 admission.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Last trip we used Airbnb. It was all good: more space, the ability to make your own coffee, getting the feel of a non-touristy area. Amsterdam hotels were a bit pricey when we were there but I don't know that Airbnb was a bargain, but I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot more.

br
bigreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

We stayed at the American Hotel that we booked through hotels.com
It is in the Museum Quarter, at the junction of 2 tram lines and a short distance from a canal boat landing. There are many restaurants within walking distance.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #13

We've been to Amsterdam a number of times, and we used to stay out on the edge of the city in a Bed and Breakfast. Unfortunately, many B&B's have been sold as condos and few are now available in Amsterdam Sud (South). For hotels, I'd suggest staying in the Museum Quarter. For Airbnb's, I'd just make sure a tram line is close by. Getting to the center city is 15 minutes usually.

One of our favorite hotels anywhere is out at Schiphol Airport. They have opened Van der Valk Hotel Amsterdam-Amstel that should be a great place with very favorable prices.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #14

For something a bit unusual try a hostel. We did this one called City Hub.

https://cityhub.com/

When I booked it Mrs said I thought you said Hotel! She ended up liking it a lot.Your own little pod. Beer & wine on tap. A food hall next door. Close to the tram. It was fun
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We loved our B&B in the heart of Amsterdam. Strange name but nice family run place: Misc Eatdrinksleep. It was one of the top rated places on TripAdvisor and featured a nice canal view. Great breakfast each day. You will love Amsterdam.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilcan View Post
We have been to Amsterdam twice and stayed at the Movenpick Hotel both times. The last time, in September 2019, we took a cruise and the cruise terminal is almost next door to the Movenpick which makes it very convenient (just walk over). This is assuming your ship departs from this terminal. I understand some ships leave from another terminal. It is also convenient to the train station.

Hope this helps.
I thought those were illegal?
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
One of our favorite hotels anywhere is out at Schiphol Airport. They have opened Van der Valk Hotel Amsterdam-Amstel that should be a great place with very favorable prices.
Thanks for the Schiphol hotel tip Bamaman. We may need an airport hotel for our last night there.