Rigged hotel thermostats

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's not you. Hotel thermostats are rigged.

Sorry, this is behind a pay wall:

It’s Not You: Hotel Thermostats Really Are Rigged - WSJ

Unknowing guests around the world are left to push thermostats up and down in vain. Fixing the problem requires a degree—or six or seven—as well as a bit of a mischievous streak

You might check on the internet for instructions on how to override the the hotel settings. Here's one source of information. There are others.

http://lifehacker.com/override-your-hotel-room-thermostat-and-set-it-as-hot-o-1462595059

Last edited:
On a recent road trip, I stayed three nights in h/motels, two HIE and one Hampton Inn. All had the same or similar Amana hvac units, one with a wall thermostat. All three seemed to cycle uncontrollably between heat and cool, literally blowing cold air when the heat cycle stopped. All set to "auto", which normally should shut the unit off when the setpoint is reached...

I never hesitate to call for maintenance when the a/c doesn't cool enough. Even if it means changing rooms. But I'll have to try this first.
One thing I do enjoy is being able to have the fan run constantly rather than the loud clunk when the a/c kicks on at night.

I like the fan to run constantly as well. I find it helps drown out hallway noises or just sounds that are unfamiliar.

Unfortunately, sometimes the hotel AC or heat seems to cause the room to odorize as well. :(

Hmmm. I've found some rigged/dummy thermostats so I'm not debating whether they exist, but most hotels I've stayed in had adjustable thermostats and fan controls.

Hmmm. I've found some rigged/dummy thermostats so I'm not debating whether they exist, but most hotels I've stayed in had adjustable thermostats and fan controls.

I've never seen one either but we don't travel much. If I did find one I'd be complaining long and loud, and vow to never ever stay in that hotel again.

I also won't disagree with the article, but I have stayed in a LOT of hotels over the years. Flying airplanes for a living tends to have you living out of a suitcase for much of the duration. Anyway...I can probably count on one hand the number of hotel rooms I have had where I wasn't able to control the heat/air to a degree of relative comfort. I have seen some thermostats that were programmable and limited the range, but with some Google action, I was able to override them. But as a general rule, I would say this is pretty much a non-issue.

I'll agree with ExFlyBoy5 - i can't even recall the last time I found a hotel thermostat that did nothing. What I do find is occupancy sensors that will change the setting while I'm sleeping, which I don't like.

One thing I do enjoy is being able to have the fan run constantly rather than the loud clunk when the a/c kicks on at night.
It's getting increasing rare, but there are still hotels on the "low end" that don't have a wall thermostat, just a "warmer/cooler" dial that is in the control panel of the wall-mounted heat-pump unit itself. The >only< way to get those to semi-work is to have the fan running constantly, so the temp sensor is exposed to the room air constantly. If you allow the fan to turn off, the unit cycles on largely in response to the outside temperature that the cabinet of unit is being exposed to.

The only time I've run into a room with an uncomfortable temperature and a thermostat that didn't work was a Holiday Inn Express in Valencia. (Well, the price was right.) The weather outside was pleasant- it was May- and our room was FREEZING. The guy at the desk said the temps were set from some central place "to conserve energy". We were there only a couple of nights and used lots of blankets. What a waste.

Well it does work. We're at a Hampton in west Texas and the temp in the room would not go lower. So I tried Chuckanut's trick and I'm in VIP mode and my DW won't be happy tonight!

We ran in to this in a high rise hotel in China. It was hot and we were told they didn't turn on the a/c until a certain date.....June I think. The windows would barely so there wasn't much ventilation. It was uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom