San Diego in February

unclemick

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Leaning toward driving Kansas City to San Diego and back in February - quasi family reunion time. In ER can take as long as I wish - up to two weeks before the dogs drive the housesitters crazy.

Mapquest shows three routes - north via I-80, middle I-70 and south I-40. thinking south cause it's February.

But open to any ideas - must see's and food places. I lived 4yrs Denver in the 70's and became partial to Mexican and Southwest styles and then of course lived thirty yrs. in New Orleans.

heh heh heh - :greetings10:

If you have the time, avoid the freeways and take the back roads. Best way to see America.

We went out I-40 a couple of years ago, and enjoyed a stop in Oklahoma City at "The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum". We spent several hours there, and didn't see everything. Also had lunch there, which was pretty good also.

You could also stop by Lake Havasu City to take a gander at London Bridge. (That's on my list of things I want to see sometime....don't know why...I guess it's just 'cause it's there! Haha!)

Depending on the weather, I'd stay south as much as possible this time of year plus, the more south you go, the more access to the southwestern and Mexican cuisines - each area is different - Texas has a different taste from New Mexico, from Arizona, from CA. San Diego is beautiful this time of year - like most of CA due to the fact there isn't much of a marine layer until May/June.

I've found the Mexican food in New Mexico to be fairly spicy hot - I would use New Mexico dried peppers for my tamale sauce. If you go through Tucson, there is a Mexican restaurant I love: Cafe Poca Cosa. Its actually Oaxacan food. The restaurant is a bit pricey and mood oriented, but the food is AWESOME. You order a meat type and then they serve you beans, greens, salsa and homemade tortillas to 'roll your own.' They usually have differnt types of moles for the meat sauces - green mole, red mole...you get the picture. Additionally, they have great margaritas (I like mine on the rocks with salt). They are located in downtown Tucson.

Event though I grew up in Phx, I don't go there very often anymore cuz I don't recognize the place. Too big.

When I lived in San Diego, I used to go to a Mexican place which had a tortilla making factory right next to it - it was in the Hillside district (near the airport). They had pretty good Mexican food. San Diego also had a very tasty dessert place up on the hill overlooking the downtown area - just looked it up - Karen Krasne's desserts - oh my, a Cordon Blue chef and amazing cooieis, cakes and pastries.

This is a long shot, but if you play badminton, San Diego has a thriving badminton community that meets many times during the week at the Balboa Activity Center in Balboa Park - tons of courts and lots of very good players.

I also used to run on the beach - Mission Beach. La Jolla is pricey but beautiful. San Diego (as I remember it) was a great place to live - loved it.

Have a great time! I love these types of road trips - right now I'm freezing my a$$ off in Germany and I do miss my Mexican food, oh, boy do I. Serious case of envy right now towards you :)

Last edited:
Outta here - gonna disconnect and dink on down the road for 10-14 days starting sometime this weekend.

Not even making a decision as to which route til the last minute after checking the weather out West.

Hope I don't get 'posting withdrawal' or overcome with the urge to take pictures or do too much touristy stuff.

heh heh heh - :D ER is fun.

Have a great time, unclemick!!!

Your headin' southwest...I'm headin' southeast.....so together we'll keep the universe in balance! :D

You could also stop by Lake Havasu City to take a gander at London Bridge. (That's on my list of things I want to see sometime....don't know why...I guess it's just 'cause it's there! Haha!)

I saw that bridge and it is truly bizarre - but that was in 1991 or so - maybe they built around it since then! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom