Join Early Retirement Today

Savannah , Ga
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Savannah , Ga

We are planning a short trip to Savannah and was wondering how long a trip should it be to cover Savannah ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Administrator

We went to Savannah about 10 years ago. I would say that you can see virtually everything there in 3 days.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Riverwalk, some squares to walk around, Jerri's Kinfolk an antique store (close to the river) and a few special eateries. My sister still lives there and I think 2 or 3 days about does it nicely. It is not a huge place and is quite laid back. Unless you are into public drunkeness, avoid St Patrick's day. They cancel all non-critical hopital services 48 hours in advance!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We went to Savannah about 10 years ago. I would say that you can see virtually everything there in 3 days.
Ditto.....we were there earlier this year for a few days, and that was plenty of time to spend there. You can take a trolley tour to get an overview of the town, then venture back to the highlights on your own....and that's made even easier if you get a 1 or 2 day trolley pass, so you can jump on & off as often as you like. The trolleys run about every 20 minutes, and if you let the driver know where you want to get off, he'll let you know when it's time for your stop. He'll also let you know where he'll pick you up if it's different than where you got on...like across the street or the next block or around the corner, etc.

Walking and trolleys are the way to go.....the streets are too narrow and congested to bother driving, and parking is limited.

A very nice town to visit and explore! Enjoy!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone for the info. We are planning on three days . It's a six hour drive from here so doable .
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you can, I recommend going to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch.
Bring cash and if it's the middle of the tourist season get in line early.
Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Three days is plenty. We stayed at Jane's on Jones last year. It is a great B&B in the historic district about two blocks from the Garden of Good and Evil mansion (which is worth a visit).
Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Lovely city. You will have a nice visit, I'm sure. It is nice to walk around the squares admiring the old houses. One thing I really like about Savannah is that it was a planned city, with proper squares and streets that make sense (unlike my beloved home city of Charleston, which bewilders even the residents with our sudden one-way streets).
Another thing I think is interesting is that all of the mansions are of different styles, so you get to see a real panorama of design in one place, also unlike Charleston, where the "Charleston single house" reigns.

There are good eats all over town, and don't forget to check out the beaches as well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote