Scheduling Uber from Airport - can I or can't I?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I find this information (copied from Uber's web site) confusing. The first sentence says you can't schedule a ride from an airport. The second sentence appears to contradict it. What am I missing? :confused:

Q: Can I schedule a pickup from an airport?

A: Scheduling a ride from an airport is currently not possible due to several difficult-to-account-for variables like flight delays, time from gate to pickup area, and picking up checked luggage. Ordering an Uber on-demand ride is a great option when being picked up from one of the 300+ airports on 6 continents that Uber serves.

Perhaps they mean you can't schedule in advance because of the variables noted. However once you arrive and are ready to be picked up standing on the curb, you can order a ride on-demand. My impression esp in urban areas is that there is usually not a long wait when you do this.

Correct. There is no need to pre-schedule an UBER ride. At most in Minneapolis I have waited 10 minutes.

I schedule Uber once I have my luggage. I believe they charge for waiting, so to be safe, I don’t pre-schedule.

Got it, thanks! Sometimes, all it takes is some other people looking at the same words :)

When DW is with me, I skip Uber (my normal go-to). DW has some limited mobility, so I hire a limo and bite the bullet. CLT has construction and it can take 20++ minutes for Uber to get to the PU point due to bottlenecks, etc. If the wait times were normal (~5 min), I'd stick with Uber.
The limo driver is waiting at bag claim, helps Sherpa our gear and we only need to schlep to the limo parking zone.

We always use Uber and schedule it while in the airport. Waiting times no more than 10 minutes in Tampa.

Actually, we ended up using the limo option by default last couple of times we flew. Cost: 3X Uber.

We didn't realize (and Uber app/airport signage were not helpful) that BWI had changed the rules for where app-based drivers can pick up riders. We were exiting baggage claim as usual, while the Uber driver expected to meet us at Arrivals - different floor. We were charged a "missed ride" fee by Uber, too.

When DW is with me, I skip Uber (my normal go-to). DW has some limited mobility, so I hire a limo and bite the bullet. CLT has construction and it can take 20++ minutes for Uber to get to the PU point due to bottlenecks, etc. If the wait times were normal (~5 min), I'd stick with Uber.
The limo driver is waiting at bag claim, helps Sherpa our gear and we only need to schlep to the limo parking zone.

We didn't realize (and Uber app/airport signage were not helpful) that BWI had changed the rules for where app-based drivers can pick up riders. We were exiting baggage claim as usual, while the Uber driver expected to meet us at Arrivals - different floor. We were charged a "missed ride" fee by Uber, too.

Hmmm, I fly BWI about 6X year. Baggage claim and arrivals is the same level. Top level is departures and lower level is arrivals/baggage. Only 2 levels at BWI.

I did make sure I asked the airport employee where the exact place for Uber pickup before I ordered it. So far I only use it once from LAX to home. It was not cheap, almost $80.

I did make sure I asked the airport employee where the exact place for Uber pickup before I ordered it. So far I only use it once from LAX to home. It was not cheap, almost $80.

I could directly uber to LAX, or uber to flyaway then bus to LAX. The price would be the same during the day. At night, we almost always uber to flyaway first then bus since uber price doubles at night for us.

Certain airports and taxi companies have given a lot of pushback to Uber at the airports--liking trying to take over their territory.

Orlando was back and forth for awhile, pretty sure they go there now. But this past summer in Barcelona, I tried to get one at the airport and none was "available" although Uber was again allowed to operate there.

I would google it with the airport city to see how things stand-especially in Europe.

I could directly uber to LAX, or uber to flyaway then bus to LAX. The price would be the same during the day. At night, we almost always uber to flyaway first then bus since uber price doubles at night for us.

There is no more flyaway from our city to LAX unfortunately.

You're right about the 2 floors. I mis-typed.

The info online is confusing. Uber's web site says Arrivals, but BWI's says that app-based rides are to be met at Departures (2nd floor).

I also searched on other airports we use, and Uber's site always says to meet the car at "Arrivals." However, other airports (e.g. Dulles/IAD) have different places that they've set aside for ride-sharing pickups.

I suspect the Uber web site just says "Arrivals," no matter where each airport wants you to go. Whereas, each airport, with its own real estate limitations, has had to devise its own rules for Uber and Lyft.

airport
Hmmm, I fly BWI about 6X year. Baggage claim and arrivals is the same level. Top level is departures and lower level is arrivals/baggage. Only 2 levels at BWI.

You're right about the 2 floors. I mis-typed.

The info online is confusing. Uber's web site says Arrivals, but BWI's says that app-based rides are to be met at Departures (2nd floor).

I also searched on other airports we use, and Uber's site always says to meet the car at "Arrivals." However, other airports (e.g. Dulles/IAD) have different places that they've set aside for ride-sharing pickups.

I suspect the Uber web site just says "Arrivals," no matter where each airport wants you to go. Whereas, each airport, with its own real estate limitations, has had to devise its own rules for Uber and Lyft.

airport
Lax has designated ride sharing sites. I wait to hail Uber until I'm at the pick up location. Just used Uber at LAX a week ago and the car arrived in about 8 minutes.

I always use super shuttle to/from sky harbor airport in Phoenix. I do the shared ride van that generally takes about 4-6 passengers. Very easy to schedule and I’ve never had a problem in more than 100 trips. I think they serve BWI if you want to check them out.

Certain airports and taxi companies have given a lot of pushback to Uber at the airports--liking trying to take over their territory.

Orlando was back and forth for awhile, pretty sure they go there now. But this past summer in Barcelona, I tried to get one at the airport and none was "available" although Uber was again allowed to operate there.

I would google it with the airport city to see how things stand-especially in Europe.

Agreed. We are in Greece and apparently they no longer allow Uber here.

I know that until recently, Uber was not allowed at Logan International Boston.

About two years ago the airport finally gave in but you have to walk to a special lot to meet your ride.

Maybe other airports--those living in the dark ages--still have that restriction?

If it helps anyone traveling to London, we just paid 37 pounds from West Kensington to Heathrow. Convenience factor. Just call via the app when you’re ready to go and stand outside. Would be cheaper late morning or pm before peak times. Stay safe out there!

We recently came back into PDX and grabbed an Uber home. The Uber pick up point was chaotic as heck. The taxi area was calm and deserted. Probably 3 taxis. Uber driver said the airport was only going to allow 10 Ubers in the pick up area at a time. When those are filled then 10 more are released from the off site

Had one Uber driver tell me a little trick. After dropping off a passenger he kind of slow rolls out of the Departures area with his app open. Sometimes he can grab a ride real quick instead of going to the off site waiting area. LOL..Always an edge

We did this is Tuscon this year. There were drivers waiting near by.

Back
Top Bottom