Soon Laptops not allowed as carry-on

Just curious: I seem to recall that back when they first started this screening routine, I always had to turn on my laptop to prove it was really a working computer. Wouldn't that be a decent workaround now? Or would it just slow the screening line down too much?

Interview with Pilot association on the radio here (EU), paraphrasing:

I'd rather have an explosion in the passenger cabin vs. the cargo hold. Easier to put out and handle apparently.

I also remember having to turn on my laptop right after 9/11. I couldn't because the battery was empty. They did a chemical check (with strips and stuff) instead.

Interview with Pilot association on the radio here (EU), paraphrasing:

I'd rather have an explosion in the passenger cabin vs. the cargo hold. Easier to put out and handle apparently.

I also remember having to turn on my laptop right after 9/11. I couldn't because the battery was empty. They did a chemical check (with strips and stuff) instead.
Happened May 30 - laptop fire, fortunately it was in an overhead compartment. Still caused an emergency landing. Laptop Fire Exposes Flaw in Electronics Ban – FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community

I flew just in the last two weeks, and nothing had changed yet when going through a TSA PreCheck line. On our flight out PreCheck wasn't running and they made me take out my iPad and Kindle, but on the way back everything stayed in the bag. When I travel with a laptop, I have a bag that splits open so that the laptop side is flat by itself and I don't have to take it out. (At least as of last October - we'll see what happens in a few weeks when I fly to Germany.)

I was in Europe recently. I had an iPhone, an iPad Air2 and a Kindle. I was required to lay them all out flat at every airport security check.

Back
Top Bottom