Global Entry Pass and TSA Travel Pre-check

Thanks for the on the info on updating the GE with new passport info. My DW just got her new one and we will be traveling next month so you have just saved us some time!

Also, the Pre-check is the best thing ever. Here at the ATL airport, the city leaders and TSA have been in a p***ing contest and this has resulted in some significantly long lines which we (so far) have been fortunate to not deal with. My DW's sister came to visit and when she left last Tuesday, she missed her flight because she had to wait an HOUR AND A HALF to get through security!

I don't know that I will travel enough internationally to bother with Global Entry when I retire. I figure that I will have time to stand in line then anyway as I will be in no hurry:LOL:.
You might not have all the time in the world if you have to make a connecting flight after customs!

Both the Global entry system and the pre- check have been improved over the past couple years. We have been very happy to "skip the lines" with the pre-check at almost all airports. As noted above some of the discount flyers don't participate.
I'm increasingly happy with our decision to spend the money on the GE/pre-check.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Both the Global entry system and the pre- check have been improved over the past couple years. We have been very happy to "skip the lines" with the pre-check at almost all airports. As noted above some of the discount flyers don't participate.
I'm increasingly happy with our decision to spend the money on the GE/pre-check.

This is great to know, I have been listening to this roll out for a few years and it sounds like it is working better than many other well intentioned programs. My DW and I are looking forward to getting into the Global Entry System.

Thank you,

OK - DH has a renewed passport and needs to update his Global Entry information with the new passport number. But the old GOES system was taken down in Oct 2017, and so we need to create new TTP accounts and migrate over from GOES.

Looks like we have all our info as we have our PASSIDs and copies of the original GOES application. So it looks pretty straightforward.

Other folks have done this migration I assume?

Last edited:
OK - DH has a renewed passport and needs to update his Global Entry information with the new passport number. But the old GOES system was taken down in Oct 2017, and so we need to create new TTP accounts and migrate over from GOES.

Looks like we have all our info as we have our PASSIDs and copies of the original GOES application. So it looks pretty straightforward.

Other folks have does this migration I assume?

Yes, did this when my passport expired - I went to my old bookmarked link and I was redirected to the new site. Painless experience for me.

Don't forget to enter your new passport number into your Airline profile.

Yes, did this when my passport expired - I went to my old bookmarked link and I was redirected to the new site. Painless experience for me.

Right, will do on the next international flight.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the migration.

Global Entry Sign-up / Interview Scheduling

This is just my experience, so far. Nothing new from what's in this thread already, but I figured I'd share it anyway.

On 4/27, using some of my new travel credit cards, I applied/paid for GE for DW and I. Both cards credited the $100 back after just a few days.

On 5/4 the global entry site (https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/) placed a note in each of our inboxes that interviews could now be scheduled. No email was sent, so I didn't see that message until today.

Today 5/17, I scheduled appointments for 6/30 (Sunday).

I figured I could schedule an appointment in Charlotte (home town) but there were no appointments available at all, no matter how I searched. I didn't know at the time about walk-ins so didn't investigate those for the Charlotte location.

Doing our interview when arriving back into the country would have been ok, I suppose, but the minutes/hours immediately after a long flight seemed 'the wrong time' to me.

So I just scanned the locations and it turns out we just happen to be driving right past an interview location in Riviera Beach on 6/30, so seemed a great match. There were only a few days at that location that weren't already booked, so the fact that it matched when we were going to be driving our rental car back to Fort Lauderdale seemed like a lucky coincidence. So we're ready for interviews at the end of our upcoming Florida visit!

One question: Is it too early to put our Known Traveler number on our airline profiles / reservations?

Attachments

• geprocess.jpg
    geprocess.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 207
If you have a KTN, put it in at your convenience.

-Rita

I'm traveling with my son to Iceland in August. I have Global Entry, he does not. There's really no advantage if just one of us has it, right? I guess I could shoot through, and go rent the car, and upon return, maybe go pick up the car from LT parking. Other than that, he still has to go through the normal process, right?

I don't think it's official until after your interview, so I would wait until then before entering the number in any airline systems. I don't know, but I can envision putting in the number and having the airline do a routine sync with TSA and find that you're not really a "full" member of the program. That could lead to problems.

I'm traveling with my son to Iceland in August. I have Global Entry, he does not. There's really no advantage if just one of us has it, right? I guess I could shoot through, and go rent the car, and upon return, maybe go pick up the car from LT parking. Other than that, he still has to go through the normal process, right?

There are four points where having GE could help a traveler:
- leaving the U.S. -- you can get pre-check if your airline participates, and that will get you through TSA faster, but then you have to wait for your son to go through the regular line
- entering Iceland -- no benefit, Iceland doesn't have reciprocity with GE
- leaving Iceland -- no benefit
- returning to the U.S. -- you can bypass the immigration and customs lines and use the kiosk, but then you have to wait for your son to go through the regular lines

There are four points where having GE could help a traveler:
- leaving the U.S. -- you can get pre-check if your airline participates, and that will get you through TSA faster, but then you have to wait for your son to go through the regular line
- entering Iceland -- no benefit, Iceland doesn't have reciprocity with GE
- leaving Iceland -- no benefit
- returning to the U.S. -- you can bypass the immigration and customs lines and use the kiosk, but then you have to wait for your son to go through the regular lines
Thanks! That's probably obvious, but to an infrequent traveler like me, that's very helpful.

I don't think it's official until after your interview, so I would wait until then before entering the number in any airline systems. I don't know, but I can envision putting in the number and having the airline do a routine sync with TSA and find that you're not really a "full" member of the program. That could lead to problems.
A known traveler number is also issued for TSA Travel Pre-Check. KTN's are not issued without some type of screening. In the TSA Travel program it's a fingerprint scan, after the fee has been paid. The OP didn't say how they got the KTN (could have been through a credit card).

So if the poster already has a KTN they can add it to airline websites.

You can’t use your PassID as your KTN until after your interview and you’re accepted into the GE program. My understanding was the number wasn’t put in the system until after your approval. I’d also activate your GE card just in case.

Our TSA PreCheck #’s expire in June, so we went through the GE process. We had a problem with our first flight after GE approval, with neither of us getting PreCheck. After calling the airline and then messaging TSA on Facebook, we were able to get PreCheck after the agent at the airport unchecked and rechecked us in. Hopefully, we won’t have the same problem with our next flight.

Right, you can’t go through US GE customs together.

At O'Hare in Chicago you can by-pass the longest lines if you only have carry on bags - without GE. Not sure if the airport you are flying to does the same. IF so, I suggest you check the bags on your ticket, you clear passport control via GE, pick up bags, clear customs and meet DS at the curb after he passes the "carry-on only" passport and customs check points.

One more thing...during the interview triple check to make sure all data entered is correct. My family went 2-for-4. Both kids had data entered wrong (errors in birth dates) that rendered the GE and KTN invalid. Required a trip back to airport to have them corrected.

At O'Hare in Chicago you can by-pass the longest lines if you only have carry on bags - without GE. Not sure if the airport you are flying to does the same. IF so, I suggest you check the bags on your ticket, you clear passport control via GE, pick up bags, clear customs and meet DS at the curb after he passes the "carry-on only" passport and customs check points.
We'll probably both just be doing carry on only. I figure if the lines look long I'll go pick up the car, and if not, I'll wait for him somewhere like the parking shuttle. If we do check a bag, I'll make sure it's on my ticket as you suggest.

When you renew your passport you must update your Global Entry info. I found that out when entering the US and the system wouldn't recognize me. The TSA staff took me aside and fixed the problem.

When you renew your passport you must update your Global Entry info. I found that out when entering the US and the system wouldn't recognize me. The TSA staff took me aside and fixed the problem.

When we had our NEXUS interviews the folks in the office made very sure we were aware of that. New passport, address change, etc.

Fortunately, you can do that online.

Other folks have done this migration I assume?

OK - we did the migration. It was more complicated than the online articles/instructions indicate as there are a couple of stages of additional security mechanisms.

DH, however, was not able to update his passport information online. He called the nearest office to check about needing an appointment. They just went ahead and updated his information over the phone!

United no longer accepts passport numbers in our online profile. Apparently this can only be accomplished 24 hours ahead during check-in using the United App, otherwise is done by physically scanning your passport when you arrive to check-in.

The unchanged KTN is linked to the new passport number anyway, so that doesn't change and the airline has that already.

Back
Top Bottom