The High Mountains of New Mexico

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
The spousal unit and I are thinking about bailing from the incessant hellish heat and spend a week or so in a cabin in the NM high country. It's within about a 9-10 hour drive to us, and the thought of highs in the 70s and low 80s dropping into the 40s and 50s overnight seems like paradise to us at the moment. It's basically the closest place we can find (and within a day's drive) to find serious relief from the heat.

Has any of you spent much time out that way -- I'm probably assuming somewhere high in the Sangre de Cristo or something like that? Anything highly recommended or to avoid?

We're probably looking at the first week of August, for what it's worth.

We've taken a number of heat vacations in NM in the small town of Ruidoso. Closer, more laid back, and less expensive than the Santa Fe area. Not a lot to do, but not crowded and best of all, those folks apparently have figured out how to air condition the outdoors!

We've taken a number of heat vacations in NM in the small town of Ruidoso. Closer, more laid back, and less expensive than the Santa Fe area. Not a lot to do, but not crowded and best of all, those folks apparently have figured out how to air condition the outdoors!

Not a lot to do? I looked it up on a map, and it looks like it's only about an hour from Roswell. Maybe there are tours, and stuff to do in Roswell.

Not a lot to do? I looked it up on a map, and it looks like it's only about an hour from Roswell. Maybe there are tours, and stuff to do in Roswell.
Sure, if that sort of thing floats your boat. However, I prefer the White Sands Monument outside Alamogordo. And nearby the pistachio "ranches" are pretty interesting as well.

Attachments

• 2002_0820_131700AA.JPG
    2002_0820_131700AA.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2002_0820_124957AA.JPG
    2002_0820_124957AA.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 9
Actually, this is good to know. Ruidoso was on the short list of possibilities we compiled over the last couple of days. We're not really looking to "do" a heck of a lot, but it would be nice to be able to spend a few minutes outside without needing to change sweat-soaked shirts several times...

REWahoo, the White Sands Monument looks really beautiful. I can't imagine sand that white, that far inland.

But as a second choice activity, I dunno - - pistachio ranches sound pretty boring. I'd go for Roswell. :D

REWahoo, the White Sands Monument looks really beautiful. I can't imagine sand that white, that far inland.

But as a second choice activity, I dunno - - pistachio ranches sound pretty boring. I'd go for Roswell. :D
Like I say, whatever floats your [-]mylar balloon[/-] boat.

Nobody here has ever called me a tinfoil hat.... yet!! But just think: I could get a genuine, bona fide tinfoil hat at Roswell. And who knows what else? Maybe artistic renditions of the aliens or some such memorabilia.

And think of the photo opportunities. :D

Are there cooler places in the mountains in West Texas that people go to in the summer?

Not that anything is cooler than Roswell--hey I saw Close Encounters :) or pistachio ranches (I'm imagining the dude pistachio ranch where you can rope your own (fill in the sophomoric blank here) ).

Rudioso is fine. I'd avoid Roswell, it's flat, hot and dull, except during the Roswell Festival (then, literally anything that looks vaguely humanoid will be roving the streets -- I believe that, if aliens landed anytine during the festival, they'd go un-noticed).

Check out Espanola, north of Santa Fe. Look up Chiamyo and the famous chapel there (famous for miracle cures). Go over to Las Vegas, NM, where you might find a t-shirt stating, "Las Vegas -- The City Indifferent -- we don't care who the hell you are!"

Go over to Santa Rosa and look in the Blue Hole ... to date, no one's found a bottom, even on helium-oxygen breathing mixture.

Check out the Navajo Reservation, which operates out of Shiprock, to the northwest. Look for the Acoma Sky City, west from Albuquerque.

I used to live there, and -- though I was certifiable-crazy at the time -- I miss the state, the people and the views.

And they still haven't.

The "UFO" was, according to reports, a military balloon made of a new (at the time) material, Mylar. The thin, shiny tinfoil-like :rolleyes: material appeared to be out-of-this-world.

(I wasn't referring to your post about Mylar balloons when I posted about not having been called a tinfoil hat... was just thinking of funny tourist items that they might have.) That's interesting! I can imagine that it probably did.

Last edited:
Texas summers are SO hot and dry. I think the dryness gets me more than the heat, there.

It didn't seem as hot here, today. I think we are going to be getting a 10+ degree drop in our temperatures for the coming week. AND, we have a 60% chance of rain tomorrow. That would be wonderful!

And they still haven't.

The "UFO" was, according to reports, a military balloon made of a new (at the time) material, Mylar. The thin, shiny tinfoil-like :rolleyes: material appeared to be out-of-this-world.

That's just what "they" want you to think! Now where did I put that tinfoil hat.

I don't know about 2009, but a few decades ago, I spent alot of time in the Gila National Forest doing backcountry hiking, camping and especially ski camping. Drive past El Paso, Las Cruces, and go into the Gila either from the south via Silver City (yes, US180 is really that straight) or the east via Truth or Consequences.

You are hiking along the Continental Divide at elevations between 8,000 and 11,000 feet. Expect a thunderstorm and hail every afternoon. You might see a bear or two. Lots of coyotes and turkeys to hear, but rarely to see

Of course, Big Bend is great as well, but I like it for desert camping in the winter. Last time I was there, they found a guy's remains who had gotten lost a year before. Also don't fall off the South Rim and become newsworthy.

Santa Fe and north is lovely. Headed there on thursday. Frankly, I think Santa Fe is overdone and too touristy. You do much better from Espanola north to Taos.

Many nice small towns in and around Taos and also in and around Los Alamos. The Taos Ski Valley is nice and the area in and around Angel Fire is also nice. I've spent a number of summers living at 9200' elevation in the Taos Ski Valley...wonderful!

DH and I are headed to Taos the last week of July. The high is usually around 84 or 85 during the day and it gets into the upper forties at night. Taos is a wonderful little town. It is close enough to drive over to Red River or Angel Fire for the day. We may even drive to Santa Fe for a day. There isn't much in Angel Fire unless you are a golfer. Red River has an abundance of shops, some restaurants, and mountain activities.

We have TX friends that are staying in Cloudcroft NM for two months They love it there, and we are going to drop by and see them for a night also. We want to check out Cloudcroft for future escapes.

We are also escapee's from the Texas heat. This time of year we start looking for a break from the heat.

Our friends called from Cloudcroft last week when our temp here in the Dallas area was triple digits and said the high there was 64! It has an elevation of some 9000 feet. I am anxious to see if it is a place I will feel comfortable in.

Roswell NM is the last place I would want to be in the summer...

DH and I are headed to Taos the last week of July. The high is usually around 84 or 85 during the day and it gets into the upper forties at night. Taos is a wonderful little town. It is close enough to drive over to Red River or Angel Fire for the day. We may even drive to Santa Fe for a day. There isn't much in Angel Fire unless you are a golfer. Red River has an abundance of shops, some restaurants, and mountain activities.
We had a friend here in town recommend Angel Fire. Yeah, it's even cooler but it's also an extra 2 hours each way from some of the other spots we're looking at, and I'm not sure how well we (or our dog) will deal with prolonged exposure to 9,000 foot elevation. Beyond that, the temps there look heavenly (he says as it's [-]101º[/-] 103º here at the moment)...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom