Things to see and do in Seattle

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I going on Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We figured we would spend a couple of days before or after in Seattle. Anyone with suggestions on what to see and do there?

What are your interests?

There is a vibrant, flat track roller derby scene in the area with bouts most weekends (you might have to drive an hour+ to a neighboring city). Not the derby of the 70's, it's a real, amateur sport.

If the weather is nice, you can check out Aqua Verde for paddle boating through lake Union. But you might be burnt out on boats after your cruise.

Dukes is by far my favorite NW seafood joint. Ivars is also a local institution, but it's more of a fast food/red lobster type chowder house.

A lot of folks like the Underground Tour.

There is the Fremont Troll, which is under the Aurora bridge, not the Fremont Bridge. That is one large troll.

Lots of neat downtown neighborhoods. I probably like Ballard the best, classy and safe.

The list goes on...

The underground tour was really interesting. The Columbia Center sky view was good.
I am kind of dumb but the first time I drove on the floating bridge (520) was pretty exciting.
My wife and kids love to ride the ducks even though we live here.

Taking the ferry (along with the rental car) was also an interesting experience for us, as we had never been on one. The ride and view were wonderful.

It you like architecture then you should see and go into the Seattle public library.

I happened to be there on a crystal clear day and went up the space needle. The view is great and the exhibits and food at the top of the needles are very good too.

A view from the ferry is also nice.

A walk through the Pike Place Market of course. There is a nice shoreline park and trail north of the Pike Place Market. Start at the Olympic Sculpture Park.

Take a ferry ride (walk on) to Bremerton and back. No need to hang out in Bremerton any longer than necessary to catch the next return ferry. But, time your return so that you approaching Seattle about 20 minutes before sunset. If the sun is out (big if!!) you will be rewarded with a very nice view of the city and its waterfront.

There is also a tour of the Seattle harbor that is inexpensive. It lasts about an hour.

***Off topic:

If you have rain gear you should bring it, you will probably need it. Fleece is another excellent choice to wear.

I live in Portland and typically dress with waterproof running shoes, merino wool socks, water resistant or quick dry pants and shirt, waterproof and breathable pants, a fleece jacket, a high quality breathable rain jacket with a hood and a waterproof baseball cap (to keep the rain off my glasses) and light weight fleece mittens. I can be outside and walking about quite comfortably like this for miles and miles. Learning how to dress for this climate has made a big difference, especially in retirement where I have more time to be outside.

I lived on Bainbridge Island for 15 years and make the following suggestions:

Ivar's SALMON House Ivar's Salmon House, Seattle Seafood Dining | Ivar's . I agree with cooch96 about their other dining establishments... but they are conveniently located close to the ferry dock. Ivar's clam chowder is served on the ferries.

Experience Music EMP Museum - Music + Sci-fi + Pop Culture & the Ducks - located across from one another adjacent to Seattle Center (& Space Needle).

Agree with ChuckaNut, ferry ride to Bremerton as a walk-on. As you pass the fish farm look straight up the bluff and see our former home.

Seattle has fine collections of Asian art. Asian Art Museum - SAM - Seattle Art Museum The Seattle Art Museum (SAM) is downtown and often has top notch traveling exhibits.

Also - The Museum of Flight

Almost forgot http://www.pikeplacefish.com/

Helen is spot on, dress in layers and expect rain in OR, WA, BC & Alaska.

Last edited:
Again, it depends on your personal tastes, but I'll add to the above suggestions:

Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest!

Last edited:
Need I say you are in salmon country? Don't choose Atlantic Salmon, they are fish farmed. All other salmon is wild caught. You want to choose a Pacific salmon that is 'in season' whose meat is red.

DW and I going on Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We figured we would spend a couple of days before or after in Seattle. Anyone with suggestions on what to see and do there?

We went last summer for four days in August. Awesome! Check this site out Official Seattle CityPASS® | Visit 5 Seattle Attractions for $64. We did this and it was a good deal. I agree with the others Pikes place and if your a Starbucks fan going to the original one was kind of cool.

Last edited:
Is this a spring/summer cruise?

Right now we are getting drenched in Seattle. Almost non-stop. I use roundup on my car windshield to remove the moss that grows overnight.

Summer is nice. Both weeks.

I live in the Seattle area. Moved here in 1997 from Atlanta. One of the most awesome places to see is Mt. St. Helen's. You would have to rent a car and it is about 3 hours south on I5 but definitely worth the trip. If it is sunny a trip up in the Space Needle at sunset is a great plus! If summertime, a whale watching trip.

The Arboretum is a tranquil getaway and can be glorious in spring and summer.

My wife and I used to buy raw beans at this little store in the early 70s. 2000 Western Avenue is just below the market, and a few blocks north.

I think for those who are Starbuck's fans (which does not include me) a very showy tourist attraction has just been opened by Starbucks a few blocks up the hill from downtown 1124 Pike Street This is maybe 2-3 blocks up the Hill onto Capitol Hill, just E of the Freeway overpass. A more popular local coffee brand, Caffe Vivace has a roaster a block above this

Starbucks combining high-end roastery with Capitol Hill cafe | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

A well known local restaurateur named Tom Douglas has a pie restaurant in the same building as the Starbucks roaster. Of course I haven't committed this sort of nutritional sin against my body in close to 20 years, so pie houses are not big draws for me anymore.

Ha

If you are into wine, take a short drive over to Woodinville, North of Bellevue about 10 miles(across the Lake Washington Bridge (WA520) and have over 150 winery tasting rooms to try. Hollywood area alone has probably 20+ within 5 miles of each. Most of the outstanding wineries from Eastern WA have tasting rooms now in the area. http://woodinvillewinecountry.com/
Nwsteve

Wow, you guys are great! I haven't logged on in a couple of days so this was my first chance to see all of the useful replies. Thanks again. This sure is one heckuva website.

seconding the Museum of Flight, I went multiple times in the 3.5 years I lived in Renton, and on my recent road trip back to Seattle I went again. :)

There are a lot of things to do in Seattle. It's one of our favorite places to visit, and we have been there numerous times. I still remember our 1st time there more than 30 years ago, when I had Cioppino for the 1st time in the restaurant up in the Space Needle.

For 1st time visitors, the Pioneer Square and Pike Market are among the quintessential places you want to visit and take a leisure stroll through, if not to have a meal there. We have even enjoyed visits to lesser known places, like the Bainbridge downtown quarter or the Discovery Park (where there happened to be an Indian Pow Wow on that day), or took a leisure walk around Green Lake before we headed to Mama Melina for dinner. This favorite Italian restaurant of ours has relocated from its old spot near the University, and we have not been back to Seattle since.

Ah, lots to do! We usually also stop in the International District (not too far from Pioneer Square) to have a bowl of Chinese duck noodle soup. It's just as good as a bowl of noodle one can get in SF Chinatown, and the parking and traffic are nowhere as atrocious.

As with many large metropolitan cities, the choices for dining are so many, it's hard to choose. We stayed in the Sheraton downtown, and had to walk but 1/2 mile to the restaurants near the waterfront.

And one time, we ventured out and made a day trip to Snoqualmie Falls and made a hike to the foot of the fall. One can even make a day trip from Seattle to Vancouver, or take a fast hydrofoil to Victoria BC. So much to do!

Back
Top Bottom