Travel as a lifestyle

We've been trying to move everything online too. It probably wouldn't hurt for us to do an assessment now, what mail we are still getting over the course of a year.

The credit card fraud scares the heck out of me though because it can be such a pain in the rear to sort out. We likely have to review our strategy on that. Right now the missus is the secondary card holder on my cards so we can focus our spend and points and a specific card. There might be some value in her having her own cards and maybe me being the secondary on hers too.
We just have backup credit cards for this, and have one that we don't carry or use online for automatic bill pays, so chances of that one being compromised are about nil and we don't have to change billpays if our regular cards are compromised. Redoing bill pays is the only "pain" we have encountered from credit card fraud, everything else is handled seamlessly by the issuer. Getting new cards can be a pain when traveling, which is why we carry backups.

We like the cards where different numbers are issued for each user. Amex does this, but we also have a MasterCard from First Tech that issued separate numbers for each of us and that's like having two independent cards when traveling.

There are so many credit card protections, I don't think it is something to be super scared about. Check, ATM/debit fraud, and tax fraud is a lot messier.

Last edited:
We retired and sold our house in January 2016 at 53 & 54 and have been perpetual traveling internationally ever since. We planned this for awhile and found great advice from all sorts of places like from Billy & Akaisha Kaderli (our initial inspiration from years ago), from RVers on mail and state tax considerations, and lots of other blogs from fellow nomads, some mentioned above like Go Curry Cracker. I also read Lynne Martin's book and noted they started in their 70s, we we could definitely handle it! There are lots of bloggers out there today documenting their travels, financials, budgets and sharing great tips!

It has worked great so far. So much to see and do and learn. This big world is simply amazing. Someone mentioned going where you want for as long as you want, and our bucket list just keeps growing. This lifestyle is not for everyone and does not appeal to everyone, but if you want to go for it, at least give it a try! We are having a ball. We will eventually settle down somewhere back in the U.S. most likely, but are not ready yet.

It is all really rather simple to set up be it services to scan and email you any lingering snail mail, manage credit cards, get free intl ATM withdrawals, online banking, autopay, access quicken or personal capital, get reasonable intl health insurance (we use world nomads), our cell phones work everywhere and it's easy to call family and friends via Skype or other free services, and most every accommodation in the world now has free WiFi!.

We have used AirBnB with great results so far, and use booking or Agoda alot as well. We are currently in Australia, been all over here for 2 months, on our way to New Zealand tomorrow for another month, then to some South Pacific Islands. Here we stay in apts with kitchens and cook, but in SE Asia, it was cheaper to eat out. Our budget depends on where we are, but having no bills back home helps.

We have met some people who rent their home to travel long term and it was working well for them, but for us it was easier and less stress to cut the cord, especially since our house was not where we wanted to end up (too big and not by water).

I say give it a go!

Have to agree with you. The more we travel, the longer our respective bucket lists grow. Plus, we are adding back in places that we have been and want to return.

Not owning a home for 4/5 years was a real eye opener for us in terms of the costs associated with 'turning the key' so to speak. We had the benefit of those monies while travelling. They also played a decision in our rent vs buy decision for a few years when the true numbers of the buy decision were accurately compared to the rental option.

Have to agree with you. The more we travel, the longer our respective bucket lists grow. Plus, we are adding back in places that we have been and want to return.

Not owning a home for 4/5 years was a real eye opener for us in terms of the costs associated with 'turning the key' so to speak. We had the benefit of those monies while travelling. They also played a decision in our rent vs buy decision for a few years when the true numbers of the buy decision were accurately compared to the rental option.
And I agree with you, Brett! Not owning a house any longer is indeed an eye opener. I think it will take a while for us to buy again. I see us renting until we are really, really sure even if we slow down the travel.later on. It is really a freeing feeling not to be tied down to any place and not burdened by so much "stuff". Makes you realize how little space and stuff you need to be happy and what a burden too much is!

Also agree on wanting to go back to many places we have visited. Vietnam cones to mind. Then you meet other travelers that tell you about some incredible place you have never heard of, and the list gets longer! It is a good problem, I think.

I'm thinking about scaling back my travel when I retire. I travel for work domestically and take anywhere from 2-5 international vacations every year. I figure I'll do most of my international travel now while I have hotel points and free car rental days earned through OPM.

We always carry 2 credit cards plus the bank debit card when we travel. We did decide some years ago that DW should have her own card for various reasons.

We just have backup credit cards for this, and have one that we don't carry or use online for automatic bill pays, so chances of that one being compromised are about nil and we don't have to change billpays if our regular cards are compromised. Redoing bill pays is the only "pain" we have encountered from credit card fraud, everything else is handled seamlessly by the issuer. Getting new cards can be a pain when traveling, which is why we carry backups.

We like the cards where different numbers are issued for each user. Amex does this, but we also have a MasterCard from First Tech that issued separate numbers for each of us and that's like having two independent cards when traveling.

There are so many credit card protections, I don't think it is something to be super scared about. Check, ATM/debit fraud, and tax fraud is a lot messier.

Yeah we always travel with back up cards.

I've heard people using the strategy of segregation of credit cards for different uses. I like the idea. Just haven't implemented it yet.

I've had one card compromised in recent memory and it was a company card. I hadn't used it for over a year and then used it 4 times (2 meals at chain restaurants and 2 taxi rides) for a business trip. That's all it took. Overall, the bank/credit card company was pretty good. But they wanted me to call them to chat and confirm about the fraudulent expenses. They also wanted me to then fax a letter stating that the fraudulent purchases weren't mine. While cc companies seem very good, the whole issue of whether they believe you or not is an (irrational?) concern of mine. I can see it being potentially stressful for us if it was our own card and we were in the midst of a trip.

Definitely concerned about ATM/bank card fraud. The other thing I'm scared about is being passed funny money when travelling.

My spouse was not certain about Vietnam. We spent a month there. She loved it and wants to return. It was the same for Thailand Where we initially went on a last minute whim. This winter will make our fourth visit in five years. The plan is to go to the Philippines for the reason you mentioned.......so many people we met recommended it to us. The opposite with Bali....lots of people told us to skip it in favor of other locales.

My spouse was not certain about Vietnam. We spent a month there. She loved it and wants to return. It was the same for Thailand Where we initially went on a last minute whim. This winter will make our fourth visit in five years. The plan is to go to the Philippines for the reason you mentioned.......so many people we met recommended it to us. The opposite with Bali....lots of people told us to skip it in favor of other locales.

Kind of the same for me. I didn't really have a lot of interest in SE Asia but the missus really wanted to go. We eventually tacked on Thailand to a trip about 6 years ago. I loved it and we've since gone back to Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia a few times. Really love the food and cost of living in the area. Much prefer the "smaller" cities versus Bangkok and HCMC.
We haven't spent a lot of time in the Philippines yet; just a few days on the southern islands (not too south tho!). Would love to explore it some more.

We typically do not spend much time in Bangkok. We usually head south, to the islands and area south of Phuket. This winter we will fly into Phuket or Krabi from Singapore spending time in Ko Lanta, Ko Lipe, etc on our way to Penang, then KL, and fly to Cebu.

We have found a real draw to SE Asia. So much so that my spouse is only interested in Hawaii as short stopover on the way to some other warm climate. I think the culture, the people, the beaches, play a large part in this. Plus, we can live very nicely thank you for two months on what we might spend on a few weeks in Hawaii, Florida, etc. and have a much better lifestyle (for us). We feel the same way about Florida. Why go there when we could go to Costa Rica is what DW would say. Perhaps we will feel differently in a few years.

Last edited:
Agree with everything said about SE Asia. It is a real draw for us as well. Have not yet been to the Phillipines yet, but hope to make it next few years.

Inspiring posts, thank you! We don't want to sell our home as we are pretty committed to Southern CA as our long-term abode. Great weather, lots of friends and diversity of things to do. However we could rent it out long term and hire a property manager to look after it. Just have to get psyched up for the hassle of moving, and we also have a middle aged dog that we love and don't want to leave for too long. We can take him with us to some of the places we'd like to go, but certainly not all.

Back
Top Bottom