Travel Tips

NorthNola

Dryer sheet wannabe
Greetings all! I am wondering if you have tips, tricks or particular websites that you use for travel for those who might be in the "retire early but not yet able to benefit from senior discounts".

Now that I'm not tied to "working people" dates (ie Saturday to Saturday rentals or hotels or flights) I'm looking to the wisdom you all may have collected!

Thanks!!:cool:

One thing I used was a Chase credit card tied in with British Airlines. If you spend a certain amount, you get a companion ticket. That way we used our miles to fly Business Class to Europe a number of times.

Airbnb, VRBO, and booking.com all have great options for places to stay that are usually cheaper than hotels and often have full kitchens.

Airbnb, VRBO, and booking.com all have great options for places to stay that are usually cheaper than hotels and often have full kitchens.

+100

We also use Southwest Rapid Rewards card, DW is my companion, and she has flown free for the past 3 years.

Check out affinity credit cards from airlines and hotels that you can use a lot. We have Delta and IHG.

Drop $25: https://www.intltravelnews.com/

This quirky little magazine features articles and vignettes written mostly by subscribers, so no fluff. You can search part of the web site for free, too, but I think you'll enjoy getting the print magazine.

We have not found very many seniors discounts that resulted in a price lower than we could otherwise get.

I believe that we snagged a seniors discount on a cruise once, and on a Hilton hotel in NA a few times. We do a fair amount of independent international travel. Cannot remember when we had any significant seniors discount other than on the odd admission or train fare.

My go to web site for travel info is TripAdvisor. Their forums tab under each location is excellent with lots of advice from local experts. You can search their forums for specific topics. Takes quite a bit of time to tease out the valuable info however. But being retired I have time;)

Oh yeah - not really any senior discounts on travel except for any AARP discount you might get at a US owned hotel chain.

Well, some European trains do give you a price break if you are old enough, but there are also often restrictions, so you have to be careful. And some local venues/tourist attractions may offer discounts for older folks.

Since retirement, we travel internationally twice a year usually for 2 months at a time.

We have our respective bucket lists. During our winters we go to places that are warm.

We pay attention to currency in three ways. We only use credit cards that do not charge the 2.5 percent uplift on foreign transactions that many do.

We also pay attention to currency. Delaying a trip to South Africa by a year reduced the cost by 10-15 percent simply by watching the falling value of the SA Rand. Same for euro and GBP, etc.

We also shop for travel internationally. We have found on a few occasions that a cruise, an AI, or indeed air may be less cost simply by purchasing it on an out of county website rather than a North American website. Sometimes we have realized savings as much a 30 percent on a single travel product buy simply by shopping out of country.

We also look for late booking travel offers, air, etc. In late summer we often travel on shoulder season when prices are lower. Cannot do that in the winter though.

We have found many ways of reducing the cost of travel. The small differences can add up. On our recent winter trip we avoided $300 in FX charges simply by using a card that did not charge extra on FX purchases. It also gave us one percent cashback-$120. on this trip. In some countries we offer to pay in cash if there is a discount. Not unusual for us to negotiate a five or ten percent discount in places that we might otherwise use our credit card.

Since retirement, we travel internationally twice a year usually for 2 months at a time.

We have our respective bucket lists. During our winters we go to places that are warm.

We pay attention to currency in three ways. We only use credit cards that do not charge the 2.5 percent uplift on foreign transactions that many do.

We also pay attention to currency. Delaying a trip to South Africa by a year reduced the cost by 10-15 percent simply by watching the falling value of the SA Rand. Same for euro and GBP, etc.

We also shop for travel internationally. We have found on a few occasions that a cruise, an AI, or indeed air may be less cost simply by purchasing it on an out of county website rather than a North American website. Sometimes we have realized savings as much a 30 percent on a single travel product buy simply by shopping out of country.

We also look for late booking travel offers, air, etc. In late summer we often travel on shoulder season when prices are lower. Cannot do that in the winter though.

We have found many ways of reducing the cost of travel. The small differences can add up. On our recent winter trip we avoided $300 in FX charges simply by using a card that did not charge extra on FX purchases. It also gave us one percent cashback-$120. on this trip. In some countries we offer to pay in cash if there is a discount. Not unusual for us to negotiate a five or ten percent discount in places that we might otherwise use our credit card.

I’m sure this is a naive question, but how do you shop as though you’re in another country? Are you not required to have an address that matches up?

I’m sure this is a naive question, but how do you shop as though you’re in another country? Are you not required to have an address that matches up?

You use the non-US website.

For example, most of us use expedia.com, but there's nothing preventing you from using expedia.co.uk. Try it, your login will work. Search around and see how things are priced doing the same search on the other. Use google for price conversions. Also remember, if you make a reservation and it's not paid immediately (for example a future hotel reservation), understand that the price can "change" as the UK (foreign) price would remain the same, however since the foreign exchange rate changes, the price you are ultimately charged in USD could be higher or lower.

Similar for other companies/websites.

We have a gmail address. We also have accommodation addresses in the UK and Australia but we have only had to use the UK one once.

We will shop by getting into the in country websites. We had a UK travel agent call us back when we were arranging a AI to Greece from the UK. We used my son's then address in London since they had to mail out the vouchers for some reason.

Once, when booking on a Europe site, we could not seem to get booked. Tried different credit cards. Finally, I realized that the on line form needed an EU address. I simply provided our address as the address of a hotel is Spain where we intended to stay prior...then the buy went through.

Some foreign sites want a local credit card. Our Visa and MC sometimes will not work but our Amex usually does. Some foreign on line sites do not seem to like premium credit cards either.

Booking our South African safari directly with the provider in SA was considerably less expensive than dealing with a local TA where we live. We communicated by email and on Skype.

We saved 30 plus percent over and above the quote from our US on line TA on a late booking Australian cruise simply by calling RCI in Australia. Their web site price was lower than their North American version. They knew we lived in Canada because of our customer number. No problem. My sister saved 15 percent plus simply by booking her Celebrity Baltic cruise through a UK travel agent.

Our custom is to arrange accommodation directly with the hotel, B&B, etc instead of using booking sites whenever possible. We typically either get a better price, a better room selection, or something additional thrown in such as breakfast.

When we went to Argentina two years ago I noticed the Aerolineas prices were better on their local site. I called the NA 1-800 number for Aerolineas and asked about these air fares. They gave me the number of the Buenos Aires call centre. I called, booked our internal flights, and saved 30 percent on the NA web site prices. They spoke english. They all seem to in the travel industry. Same for Turkey, but we were able to book directly on the web site for domestic flights. They were half of what expedia, etc were quoting for the same flights, same day, within 10 minutes of each other.

The prices are not always different than what we see on NA web sites however our experience is that it pays to shop. We are retired, so working the keyboard for a few hours can pay dividends. I guess you might call it the grey market for travel products. Not very grey though because the world has become a much smaller place from many perspectives. Naturally, we only use currency adjusted pricing for comparisons.

Last edited:
We have a gmail address. We also have accommodation addresses in the UK and Australia but we have only had to use the UK one once.

We will shop by getting into the in country websites. We had a UK travel agent call us back when we were arranging a AI to Greece from the UK. We used my son's then address in London since they had to mail out the vouchers for some reason.

Once, when booking on a Europe site, we could not seem to get booked. Tried different credit cards. Finally, I realized that the on line form needed an EU address. I simply provided our address as the address of a hotel is Spain where we intended to stay prior...then the buy went through.

Some foreign sites want a local credit card. Our Visa and MC sometimes will not work but our Amex usually does. Some foreign on line sites do not seem to like premium credit cards either.

Booking our South African safari directly with the provider in SA was considerably less expensive than dealing with a local TA where we live. We communicated by email and on Skype.

We saved 30 plus percent over and above the quote from our US on line TA on a late booking Australian cruise simply by calling RCI in Australia. Their web site price was lower than their North American version. They knew we lived in Canada because of our customer number. No problem. My sister saved 15 percent plus simply by booking her Celebrity Baltic cruise through a UK travel agent.

Our custom is to arrange accommodation directly with the hotel, B&B, etc instead of using booking sites whenever possible. We typically either get a better price, a better room selection, or something additional thrown in such as breakfast.

When we went to Argentina two years ago I noticed the Aerolineas prices were better on their local site. I called the NA 1-800 number for Aerolineas and asked about these air fares. They gave me the number of the Buenos Aires call centre. I called, booked our internal flights, and saved 30 percent on the NA web site prices. They spoke english. They all seem to in the travel industry. Same for Turkey, but we were able to book directly on the web site for domestic flights. They were half of what expedia, etc were quoting for the same flights, same day, within 10 minutes of each other.

The prices are not always different than what we see on NA web sites however our experience is that it pays to shop. We are retired, so working the keyboard for a few hours can pay dividends. I guess you might call it the grey market for travel products. Not very grey though because the world has become a much smaller place from many perspectives. Naturally, we only use currency adjusted pricing for comparisons.

Thanks very much for this information.

AAA is there for you on the road and offers some good values on cruises and tours. You can even get personal assistance designing a vacation at one of their offices.

We have used autoeurope and kemwell extensively for rental cars in various parts of the world. Their prices are typically the best. They have excellent customer service. We like Costco for NA rentals.

You pay in advance. Keep checking prices from time to time because they fluctuate. Last month we rented a car in Tasmania for a week. Started out at $260(CAD) or so for the week (with some insurance) and a low end car. Checked a month or so later it was was $205 (CAD) for a Camry. We changed our booking-no issue whatsoever. Rental cars are like hotels and cruises. The prices fluctuate with demand.

We had an issue with a rental in the UK. They dealt with it immediately and followed up to ensure that we were satisfied.

Discount airlines in various parts of the world do not always show up on the usual websites. We google to see what airlines service the country we happen to be in. So in SE Asia/Australia we also go directly to the Jetstar, Scoot, Air Asia sites etc. This March was the second time that we have returned one way from Australia. We take a low cost Jetstar flight (both have been code share with Qantas), stop over for a night or two, then continue home. The airline savings pay for a good part of our hotel cost and we get a good break between flights. We have used consolidators a few times for one ways to or from Europe.

Last edited:

BRETT:: Interested to know what safari company you used:confused: Sounds like you would recommend them.

Thanks.

We like Costco for NA rentals.

My favorite auto site is autoslash.com - gets the best price all the time. You tell it what memberships you have (including Costco) and it will scan for what one would get you the best deal. Additionally, if you have a reservation you did through them or not, you can fill in your reservation info and it will scan daily for a better rate and then notify you when it finds one so you can cancel/rebook.

I just checked, and it will also do rentals at international airports.

Last edited:
Last time I used a consolidator was three years ago to get one way tickets for our in-laws. Toronto-Istanbul.

Tried everything, including cruise air. Finally hit on cheapo.com. I was careful to select an airline that had multiple daily flights from Toronto to London and multiple daily flights from London to Istanbul in case of issues. I wanted the same airline for both segments. They check their bags. Not as important for us as we only do carry on.

The fare was considerably less ($200 plus per seat) than anything else we could find. And more than half the price of booking direct with British Airways.

We had the same experience two years ago going return to Bangkok. Our fare on Orbitz was $1000 . The same fare, booked with Air Canada, same fare code, same seats, same everything and booked within 10 minutes of shopping, was $1500. That was also the price of the expedia, travelocity, etc. The $1000 fare came up on matrixit.

Probably no help but we use the Escape …….. in our case Escape Houston . Right now RT to Munich 450.00 . We are going to Amsterdam in August for 610.00

Oh sorry try Booking buddy , friends of Escape and they work for all areas . Looking at Fort Lauderdale right now from Houston 232.00 Ea

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom