Trip stops along 65 & 75

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
I'm planning a trip along 65 ( through the States of: Indiana, KY, TN) and
Then along 24 & 75 ( Georgia, bit of FL).

I'm looking for some things that could consume 1-4 hours as a tourist stop in the travel to break up the trip.

I could also be tempted to go off the trail if something was worth visiting.

This would be for adults.

Last edited:
Right through the hearts of Louisville and Nashville--what type of things you interested in seeing?

If into Corvettes, the National Corvette museum is within a hundred yards or so of the highway in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

If into the Space Program, the Space and Rocket Center/museum is in Huntsville, Alabama, just a very short jaunt off onto 565...

Edited to add Huntsville....

Bourbon trail in Kentucky if that interests you. A couple of the places are just off I-65, a 2-3 more are not far out of the way, and the rest of more toward Frankfort and Lexington.

In addition to the Corvette Museum, the Corvette Plant used to offer tours of the production, probably still does and would be worth checking out.

Maker's Mark and other Bourbon distilleries are definitely worth the detour.

If you are enjoy National Parks you might stop at Mammoth Cave.

Downtown Nashville is worth a stop, especially in the evening if you enjoy live music.

Oh, forgot: About 25 minutes east of 65, in Nashville: Andrew Jackson's estate/mansion, the Hermitage. (I need to go there; max 15 minutes surface streets from my house, and I hear great things. But, you tend not to explore where you live....)

You'll also pass by James K. Polk's home south of Nashville, if you are really into dead presidents....

I have seen Mammoth Cave years ago, and want to take DW there in another trip as its a pretty area to spend a few days at. They have camping and lodging there.

We're headed to Mammoth Caves for a few days this summer on our way to Toronto. We found a nice Airbnb place in Bowling Green KY just 20-30 minutes from the caves.

Hands down the big deal on this route is Mammoth Cave.

Ha

In addition to the Corvette Museum, the Corvette Plant used to offer tours of the production, probably still does and would be worth checking out.

Maker's Mark and other Bourbon distilleries are definitely worth the detour.

If you are enjoy National Parks you might stop at Mammoth Cave.

Downtown Nashville is worth a stop, especially in the evening if you enjoy live music.

+1 for Mammoth Cave. Check when it is open. I also enjoyed Maker's Mark, but it is not right on the way. The Space Center in Huntsville is great, but even further off your route.

What? Is nobody going to mention Rock City and Ruby Falls just off the path, outside of Chattanooga? I remember seeing the barn roofs with "See Rock City" written in the roof shingles as a kid. Been past there many times and was tempted but just felt too much like the Old Route 66 tourist traps. Would like to hear if anybody has actually been there.

Been to Mammoth Cave and can +1 it too.

What? Is nobody going to mention Rock City and Ruby Falls just off the path, outside of Chattanooga? I remember seeing the barn roofs with "See Rock City" written in the roof shingles as a kid. Been past there many times and was tempted but just felt too much like the Old Route 66 tourist traps. Would like to hear if anybody has actually been there.

Been to Mammoth Cave and can +1 it too.

Both are nice places and just off I-24 right outside Chattanooga. If you are into Civil War history there are just too many places to mention.

Here are a couple of sites that may give you ideas.
RoadTrip America
https://roadtrippers.com

I've used the latter and have sometimes found stuff worth stopping for.

Just let everyone know, that https://roadtrippers.com site is full of information , much better than mapquest or random googling at showing attractions/sites/etc.
It shows you everything along your route you input so you don't see lots of stuff that is on the opposite side of the State.

Re: mammoth cave, you can buy advance tickets for the cave tours online through the National Park Service web site. It's something like $13-14 per tour for the long 2 hour tours. I don't know how fast they fill up, but we were the first ones to book tickets for our July tour dates.

Re: mammoth cave, you can buy advance tickets for the cave tours online through the National Park Service web site. It's something like $13-14 per tour for the long 2 hour tours. I don't know how fast they fill up, but we were the first ones to book tickets for our July tour dates.

Good advice to buy online ahead of time.

A long time ago, in 2001 I drove by there, so I stopped to take a tour that day. They were sold out of the biggest tour.

I stayed at a B&B just outside the park (as the motel in the close by town was a dump), then did the tour the next day.

I was at Mammoth three years ago in April and most tours (they have quite a few different ones) were filling up by lunchtime.

Good advice to buy online ahead of time.

A long time ago, in 2001 I drove by there, so I stopped to take a tour that day. They were sold out of the biggest tour.

I stayed at a B&B just outside the park (as the motel in the close by town was a dump), then did the tour the next day.

That's what we were afraid of so booked WAAAAAY ahead of time as soon as we booked our partially refundable Airbnb stay. Mammoth Cave plus Niagara Falls are our two "must sees" on this road trip and everything else is just a bonus along the way.

That's what we were afraid of so booked WAAAAAY ahead of time as soon as we booked our partially refundable Airbnb stay. Mammoth Cave plus Niagara Falls are our two "must sees" on this road trip and everything else is just a bonus along the way.

Raleigh, Mammoth, Niagara, and back to Raleigh (or the other way around). Impressive family trip. :cool:

I did 5700 miles in RV with our three then-tween sons in the early oughts. Great learning/fun adventure!

In our trip to Louisville, we thoroughly enjoyed a tour of the Louisville Slugger factory (even though we are not baseball fans) and a behind-the-scenes tour of the Kentucky Derby (even though we know little about horse racing).

Raleigh, Mammoth, Niagara, and back to Raleigh (or the other way around). Impressive family trip. :cool:

I did 5700 miles in RV with our three then-tween sons in the early oughts. Great learning/fun adventure!

This was our somewhat failed attempt to "do something small" this summer. :D Last summer was 7.5 weeks through Mexico and next summer (possibly 2018 instead) will be 6-8 weeks across Europe.

We drove Raleigh to Quebec City and back in 2014 with the five of us in a 14 year old Honda Accord. Now we're rocking a much newer Toyota Sienna minivan, so it should be a breeze. And our 2 year old will be four on this road trip.

The kids love these trips, but in a way I want to do a "do nothing" summer so we can relax at home and do simple stuff.

The kids love these trips, but in a way I want to do a "do nothing" summer so we can relax at home and do simple stuff.

Even "weekend trips" make for great memories for the kiddos.... so maybe a few shorter and closer trips would be a nice plan for your summer.

My boys still love to travel with us as young adults and I love that. One is going to Hawaii with us in the fall ( and even me paying for his portion in payday installments :D). That willingness to hang out with the "old folks" may change when they meet the girls of their dreams though..... you never know about kids ....

Back
Top Bottom