TSA Pre check

Our first experience with Pre-Check was last April when my wife and I both got it. On the flight back, my wife was Pre-Check and I was not. Fortunately, I picked the right line and we finished about the same time. On our trip to Mexico, my wife and I were both Pre-Check, but a son traveling with us was not.

We didn't consider paying the $85 because we'd have to fly to another city for the interview and fingerprinting. One of my wife's friends did so a couple of months ago. On our return from Mexico earlier this month, we read in the paper that a local office was opening in our city. I just went through the interview, fingerprinting and paid the $85, so I'll hopefully get my number within a couple of weeks. We'll be doing more traveling so I figure it's worthwhile.

DW and I flew to Miami yesterday. I got the Pre-Check, but she didn't (I fly a fair amount, but she doesn't). I went through regular line with her and it was really bad that day, while the Pre-Checkers were just sailing through. We're going to have to figure out how to get her signed up, since we've got a couple more trips together this summer.

Last edited:
The one time I got lucky and got a TSA PRE check was for a 6:00 a.m. flight. Just my luck, there was nobody else at the security check-point and I could have breezed right though regular security. As it was, I had the time to stand around and joke with the TSA people. They were actually quite friendly... unlike most of them you find when the lines get really long.

My wife doesn't fly that much, but gets the Pre-check every time--and she never signed up for anything.

Last edited:
That was quick. I paid the $85 and was fingerprinted on Friday. I just checked my application status today, Tuesday, and I had my Known Traveler Number (KTN). So, I get to keep my shoes and belt on and 3-1-1 bag stays in the carry-on.

I have not found any TSA checks recently that have been enforcing the liquids and gels in plastic bags. I just leave mine inside and the only thing I do is take shoes off and laptop out.

I have Global Entry which also gets me pre-check (in most airports). I've seen the confusion of rerouting. It's the TSA so no more need sot be said...

It is still a great advantage most of the time and worth every penny. For anyone that travels overseas (ever!) I highly recommend GE. I made a connection recently only because I breezed through customs. I never would have made it in the regular line.

It's not perfect, but air travel is air travel.

There is no rhyme or reason that I can see on who gets the Pre-Check. A week ago, DW and I flew to Miami and I got Pre-check but she did not. Tonight on our return flight, she got it but I didn't. Both of us were traveling on the same reservation. What's up with that?

There is no rhyme or reason that I can see on who gets the Pre-Check. A week ago, DW and I flew to Miami and I got Pre-check but she did not. Tonight on our return flight, she got it but I didn't. Both of us were traveling on the same reservation. What's up with that?

The TSA never likes to do anything logical. I once got through the gates to airside and the couple behind me had a few small containers with liquids in their carry-on- They didn't have a Freedom Baggie so they could run them through separately. I offered to empty mine so they could use it. The TSA guy said, no, I couldn't do that because my liquids had to stay in the baggie. Umm, yeah, right.:confused:

To get back to the OT: headed to Chicago today for a day trip on Southwest. TSA pre-check both ways although I rarely fly Southwest- last time was February 2013. Of course, I've got very little to carry on, but at least I can keep my sandals on.

I second the wonders of Global Entry! It is great if you travel overseas and the Pre Check is included. Though my home airport does not yet have pre check available all the time, I can still get faster service because of the GE designation.

I second the wonders of Global Entry! It is great if you travel overseas and the Pre Check is included. Though my home airport does not yet have pre check available all the time, I can still get faster service because of the GE designation.

We learned more in our trip home, again boarding passes were stamped tsa pre check. We got to the first agent who checked ids and boarding passes he explained they didn't have it. Instead they had expedited, liquids/laptop/keys out, shoes and belt ok. He mentioned they didn't meet the minimum amount of daily passengers(600?), hence expedited.

Someone mentioned a more relaxed vibe from the TSA. This guy had it, his other j*b must be at a comedy club. He tells us we got pre-check because "you've heard about NSA wiretaps and drones, they've been by and you guys are ok". I smiled and walked on by.

Since we signed up for Global Entry (actually NEXUS, but it's the same idea), we recently had our first experience with using it. We flew back from Europe last week on a foreign flag airline, so couldn't have the pre-check mark on our boarding passes.

But when we got off the plane in Newark airport, there were several Global Entry kiosks available. Stick in your passport, place your fingertips on the screen, and answer a few simple questions -- Bingo! you get a printed receipt that you hand to the agent at the gate. No interviews, no inspections, no lines, no problems. I love it!

Enrolled in NEXUS, we get all the advantages of Global Entry at half the cost, so I'm absolutely sold on it.

My wife went in for her Pre check interview on Friday and by Monday she was approved and had her KTN. Now, we'll both be able to keep our shoes on and avoid the long airport TSA lines almost every time. Now that I'm retired, it's looking like we'll be doing more traveling.

Back
Top Bottom