Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have a whole house shut off valve inside our house. In addition to what others have said, I would suggest that you do not quickly turn the shutoff valve back on upon your return, do it slowly/gradually.

Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Without adequate air flow into the furnace room, you not only risk CO build up (not CO2 - carbon dioxide, fizzy stuff in beer and soda. CO is Carbon Monoxide - very bad. CO2 mostly is dangerous just because it displaces oxygen, like in a fire extinguisher), but you run the risk of a back-draft.

The fire will start flaring out of the furnace, it can't get out the chimney w/o air coming in. This can cause a fire. Furnaces have 'roll-out' temperature detectors. But I saw a demo video on youtube, and that fire looked pretty nasty before the flame sensor got hot enough to kick the gas off. I would not want to rely on it.

If having the room open meets code, I would literally take the door off the hinges before you plug the air vents to that room. And take a picture. That way, if there is a problem, at least you could prove you were in code.

I meant CO, but thanks for that and your other warnings. When I did the calcs I was literally within a few cubic feet of not needing the vents, and that was with the door shut. But I will check it again and/or ask an expert.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe
I turn off the water main to the house, which is outside, set the water heater to vacation ( I verify the pilot is still lit) and turn off the HVAC system when we leave for more than a weekend. We live in a non freezing climate. I also exercise the water valve about once a month as deposits can build up. I also have a cheap Internet security camera and give a neighbor a key. This gives me peace of mind.

DTCS is offline   Reply With Quote