United/Continental airlines???

Try buying airline tickets on less than a weeks notice and see what deregulation has done. Us guys in the working world are faced with some very high ticket prices. I paid $3,100 for a coach ticket from Houston to Toronto and back a while ago with less than a weeks notice.

Also, try changing a United ticket and see how you like paying a $200 change fee!

There was a short-lived series called Pan Am. They were making omelets cooked to order in first class!

I traveled extensively when I was w*rking on just about every major airline and numerous others. For the most part, they all suck at some point in time.

I flew Continental and United a lot (had status on each) and I thought they were both as good as any. I actually remember when they used real dishes and silverware in first class - that seemed short lived.

I recall traveling first class (on a short hop) and we got coffee in a styrofoam cup. I said to the stewardess, pointing to my styrofoam cup "If this is what you are serving us in first class, what are they getting back there?" motioning to coach. :D

That said, I think air travel is generally very affordable it you shop around. Where else can you travel coast-to-coast for a few hundred bucks?

That said, I think air travel is generally very affordable it you shop around. Where else can you travel coast-to-coast for a few hundred bucks?

Amtrack has some nice features and cost about the same as air travel. You just need to have the time.

I used to think united was the worst with terribly unfriendly staff. And then I flew other airlines...

The only airline I actually like is southwest.

Just arrived home after three flights, the first of which was a sleepless overnight on United, from OGG to LAX on a 737-800. It was 5+ hours of torture, wedged into a window seat with no pitch to spare. I spilled cranberry juice over my white pants and was given three segments of paper towel. No flight attendant was visible between the juice run and preparation for landing. There was less than one inch between my knees and the seat in front, so I could hardly move and had no access to my carry on (under the seat in front). The young couple between me and the aisle were wearing very new wedding rings but did not say one word to each other throughout the entire flight. I was unable to go to the washroom and I sure hope I won't get a DVT. I groaned when I saw my seat assignment but was unable to change it. They were paying passengers to get off this flight as the full plane was overloaded for the very warm weather in Maui. I was glad to get to LAX, but if you arrive on United and need to find any other airline, there is zero signposting to help you. I was one of a large group of people who had to resort to asking multiple people how to get from A to B.

My subsequent two flights were on Embraer 190s and were far more comfortable. I had an additional 5 inches of pitch.

Rant over. Next time I will try to avoid United. And at least it was a great vacation.

Last edited:
I fly United quite a bit, and find it "OK." One thing I liked was that when I missed a connection in O'Hare (that's not the part I liked) all I had to do was to walk up to the kiosk machine, enter my credit card to identify myself, and it spit out my replacement boarding passes in no time flat. When the same thing happened on US Air in Charlotte, I had to wait in line for 20 minutes to talk to a surly agent. With my FF status I get premium economy for free, as well as one free bag, so I can't complain.

I just booked award tickets a week apart for us to fly to London in July. Can't beat that 30k miles and $5. And nice to be able to transfer Sapphire points 1:1 to United.

When the same thing happened on US Air in Charlotte, I had to wait in line for 20 minutes to talk to a surly agent.

As a frequent flyer, I'm sure you are aware of this. But, I've heard several experts interviewed over the years that said as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens at the airport (cancelled flight, missed connection), you may have a better chance of getting quicker service through the airline's reservations phone line rather than standing in line.

After 35 years of business travel on all the airlines and in all the FF programs, I have come to realize the automated kisok is a better choice than live airline employees. I never check baggage so I have no reason to stand in line. I use the website to book and change tickets. It's almost like banking anymore!:LOL:

I just booked award tickets a week apart for us to fly to London in July. Can't beat that 30k miles and $5. And nice to be able to transfer Sapphire points 1:1 to United.

30k miles for an international flight?

That doesn't sound right.

Yep, and I happily just found a 32.5k miler on American for a return for DH from Tokyo. Now,the hard one...return from Ulan Baatar, Mongolia for me!

So it's not 32.5k for the round trip, just for the return segment?

Oh, yes, the first flight was to London. The second is home from Tokyo (and Mongolia). We're taking the bus in between. I'm sorry it was confusing.

Coach.class.sucks.

I think it was in 2007 that ice storms crippled much of the midwest. I had a Southwest flight from Love Field to Detroit, via St. Louis. I knew the conditions, so I checked SW's web site, LUV's site, and STL's site. No mention of any closings or delays. "Confident" that I'd exercised due diligence, I drove to the airport, and was on my way.

We flew to STL, circled the area, then the pilot announced that the airport was closed, and proceeded to fly us to Kansas City. On the ground there, I got to stand in line for an hour or so, before I was issued a new ticket. To Baltimore...

So, after a flight to Baltimore, and a two plus hour layover there, I finally got on a plane to Detroit.

Southwest lived up to their slogan that day: "You are now free to move about the country..."

We have been flying for business and leisure now for over 40 years. So many of the names in our past such as Pan Am, Ozark, TWA, Eastern, etc. are all now gone. Most of our flying today on Delta, American, and Allegiant. We have one upcoming trip planned on United. Wow...even before departure their schedule changes and customer service are awful....have never seen such a poor quality call center with off shore staffing and very poor training and product knowledge. Hope our flights next month are better than the prep for them! Has anyone else had bad phone center experiences with United recently or did we just draw the short straw! A good name and good product seems to have slipped.... :facepalm:

If you are flying to or through Narita Japan by chance taking a leg on their partner airline ANA is a dream (and I was on a Dreamliner 787). The flight attendants were so friendly. I did so on my way to the Philippines.

My flight home was on a United Flight 777. I'm 52 and felt young compared to the "staff" who looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but on that flight. It was like a 180 degree difference than my ANA experience. :D

I have found the mileage website is pretty cool tho. Very user friendly. For what it's worth from Seattle WA to SE Asia the airline of choice for my friends is EVA. Suppose to be a very favorable flight and service. Very new 777-300 ERs. Cheers.

We're going to London on United next week. Before that I had cashed out our Sapphire points.

Is there an advantage transferring Sapphire points to United for a planned flight? Did I miss a deal?

Lsb, I don't think it was anything special. But a friend who is all into the points game told me that transferring exactly how many points you need from Sapphire to United is the best way to go (ie, use of Sapphire points). I'm very much a newbie at this stuff, though. I've been working on our return, and wow, is it confusing!

My buddy seems to specialize in getting these long layovers and open jaw type tickets, and business class upgrades, but that's because he's open ended on travel dates and has a million points. I, OTOH, can't lollygag much as I eventually have to show back up at work if I want to keep the checks coming!

Coach.class.sucks.
This. We've done a great job as consumers rewarding our suppliers for rushing to the bottom. It's gotten so bad that I'm firm in my intention to not fly anywhere I could legitimately drive or take the train. That includes the Boston to Florida trips, since we can leave on Saturday morning and still make it to Florida by Sunday noontime (if we left really really early Saturday morning, and took the Auto Train from Northern Virginia), enjoy five days in the sun, and still make it home by Saturday night.

most people here are complaining about "Back of the bus" service. If you want better service, pony up for premium cabin.

Here is the seat I am flying to Asia this summer, booked through United. Sure, it's 70k miles and about $10, but premium cabin is well worth it IMO.

Asiana_first%20class.png

If you're flying domestically, they all suck. First class, coach, it doesn't matter. Some are better than others. Jet Blue is my favorite, a little bit extra pitch, leather seat, free TV, good service. If you're flying any other airline, the seat will be the same size and service just about the same. As I said earlier, pick your poison. It sucks. And I've had just as crappy service with every airline. I pray to my higher being everytime I fly that there won't be any hiccups. I suggest you do the same. If you don't have a higher being, you may want to adopt one for your air travel.

That can't be only 70k miles ...

ronoc, DH is beyond excited just for the chance to fly business. I'd never let him see that photo of your lady friend in first. :)

That can't be only 70k miles ...

We talk in one way mileage requirements. Here's my seat on the return which is 67.5k miles (AA).

cathay_suite.jpg

ronoc, DH is beyond excited just for the chance to fly business. I'd never let him see that photo of your lady friend in first. :)

While that lady is pretty, there were many prettier attendants on my last Asiana flight (and don't get me start on THAI). If flying from Mongolia, you may want to try and connect through seoul. Their airport is great and if you fly business, their QS seat is superb (even makes you wonder if you need first class). QS isn't on every plane, but I can help identify if you need. And asiana has their 1st class suite going to JFK now. for 10k more miles, it is well worth it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom