Warm in Winter?

Why not just move to the warmer location? I guess I have never understood the snowbird mentality, especially these days when all buildings, vehicles, and public places have climate control.

The expense, hassle, and emotional upheaval of moving twice a year sounds nightmarish to me; I'd rather stay year 'round in either of the two locations than to do that. To me snow-birding just sounds like the inevitable and ultra-expensive outcome of indecision about where to live, though I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

W2R, perhaps you missed the fact that the OP is a Canadian. Moving permanently to the warmer location would mean emigration. That's a much bigger deal and rarely a practical choice. Indecision has nothing to do with it.

There are very few places in Canada that don't get seriously cold in winter. I live in one of them, and even I feel the need for a short winter getaway. 2011 was a Caribbean cruise, 2012 was Hawaii, and 2013 will be the Yucatan peninsula. Arizona is on my to do list. I can see the appeal of spending a longer duration somewhere warm. If I were to relocate for several months, it would be to somewhere I could drive to, and I would rent a furnished place.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Why not just move to the warmer location? I guess I have never understood the snowbird mentality, especially these days when all buildings, vehicles, and public places have climate control.

The expense, hassle, and emotional upheaval of moving twice a year sounds nightmarish to me; I'd rather stay year 'round in either of the two locations than to do that. To me snow-birding just sounds like the inevitable and ultra-expensive outcome of indecision about where to live, though I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

Although I now live in Texas, I'm from the midwest, and, frankly, I like the scenery in the midwest/midsouth, and the summers are milder. Multiple months of winter is NOT on my radar.

FWIW, I'm not planning on buying another place, but I may do some mid-summer rentals in cooler climes.

Reactions: W2R
W2R -- another reason is family. We'd love to move somewhere mild year round, or at least that doesn't have cold winters. But we both have lots of family near by and with whom we spend lots of time.

Brownsville, TX is pretty cheap, plus you can't beat the food

But what about crime? Scary being so close to mexico and the bad stuff going on down there. Wasn't that young guy that got picked off his jet ski a couple years ago from around that area?

Big Island of Hawaii attracts some Canadians. Allegiant Air and Alaska Air have flights to Honolulu. Allegiant from some obscure airport in northern Washington state.

In Arizona you can choose your temps by the elevation, including living one place but visiting another climate zone by driving for two hours. Since you don't need a job, you can live away from the urban areas (inexpensive) but go to them when you choose to. Much depends upon your daily recreation. Phoenix does have a pro hockey team.

Big Island of Hawaii attracts some Canadians. Allegiant Air and Alaska Air have flights to Honolulu. Allegiant from some obscure airport in northern Washington state.

In Arizona you can choose your temps by the elevation, including living one place but visiting another climate zone by driving for two hours. Since you don't need a job, you can live away from the urban areas (inexpensive) but go to them when you choose to. Much depends upon your daily recreation. Phoenix does have a pro hockey team.

How does Phoenix/Scottsdale area and surroundings compare to SoCal? How do those compare to Hawaii? I've read a lot of (positive) comments on here about Oahu, but people I know in real life call it the concrete jungle?

How does Phoenix/Scottsdale area and surroundings compare to SoCal? How do those compare to Hawaii? I've read a lot of (positive) comments on here about Oahu, but people I know in real life call it the concrete jungle?

Having spent significant time in SoCal I can tell you that the Scottsdale area is significantly cheaper than SoCal whether it be LA/OC/Palm Springs/Palm Dessert. Plus the traffic is much much better.

Not sure about Oahu as my experience in Hawaii is only with the other islands. Have heard that it is expensive as everything (other than Pineapple) is basically imported.

I live in an icebox state. I don't mind the cold so much but what I do mind is:

Driving on/in ice and snow
Having to buy expensive boots you where a few hours a winter
Trying to stay vertical while walking across icy walkways and parking lots
Black ice
Having to put on/take off boots (with laces) every time time you go out
Getting into the car with wet snowy boots
Snowplow going by right after you finished shoveling
Shoveling a path for the dog
Having to go outside to get more firewood
Getting in a cold car
Scraping windshields
Shoveling out your mailbox
Turning your ignition key and hearing the battery moan
Going into a warm building (church/store/restaurant/sporting event) with your winter clothes on

Oahu

I have lived in Hawaii since 1980 on three different Islands and Oahu is my favorite. Yes, Honolulu is a concrete jungle, just like any other big city (but it is warm :cool:) but there is no way you would stay near Honolulu. There are parts of Oahu that will make you think you are on another Island but if you do need something it is an hour or two drive instead of a flight.
Kimo

Last edited:
I've been going to Scottsdale for the past 10 years. Ive seen it snow a couple of times at night, but most days are sunny in the 60's or low 70's. Like others have said, the Phoenix area is cooler than Florida in the winter. But I'll take sunny cool days over warmer rainier weather. Az stacks up quite favorably over Northern Illinois in the winter.

I have lived in Hawaii since 1980 on three different Islands and Oahu is my favorite. Yes, Honolulu is a concrete jungle, just like any other big city (but it is warm :cool:) but there is no way you would stay near Honolulu. There are parts of Oahu that will make you think you are on another Island but if you do need something it is an hour or two drive instead of a flight.
Kimo

Kimo, what areas of Oahu would you suggest for a childfree couple interested in walking, hiking and biking (both leisure and more serious road)? We love bright, sunny temperate weather and small but bright/cheery houses.

someguy:

Probably the best way to really get an idea is to come and stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore (I have absolutely no affiliation with them) and explore the area. Please do not be tempted to stay in Waikiki and try to explore the North Shore from there. There are so many things wrong with that attempt that I could write a book on it....:)

I thought the north shore tended to be cloudy and rainy?

someguy:

There are actually quite a few places in Oahu that fill your needs. A lot of them are on the "North Shore" which is actually a lot of little towns always a few miles apart. The are all level and then they have to Koolau mountains in the background for the more serious roads. https://www.google.com/search?q=koo...u9IhZaMAueigPgG&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=650

Another great area is mokuleia https://www.google.com/search?q=mok...vOpJOnsiQKgq4EI&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=650

For the most part, when it rains here it is for a short time, also, remember when it rains the temperature stays about the same. It could be raining and it is still 79 degrees. Now it is true there are the occasional true rain storms that will pass over Hawaii but those have a tendency to hit all of Hawaii so it won't really matter where you are if one of those hit, although it will still be in the high 70's....

PS. I go to the North Shore quite a bit and I can't remember the last time it rained for more than 15 or 20 minutes.....although I am sure it has, just nothing to base your decision on..........

someguy:

Probably the best way to really get an idea is to come and stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore (I have absolutely no affiliation with them) and explore the area. Please do not be tempted to stay in Waikiki and try to explore the North Shore from there. There are so many things wrong with that attempt that I could write a book on it....:)

I fell in love with this place from the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall! Glad to see your endorsement of Oahu. We've never been to Hawaii partly the multi-island logistics and decisions and extra costs were daunting, and I wondered why not just go to Oahu. So maybe we will!

I fell in love with this place from the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall! Glad to see your endorsement of Oahu. We've never been to Hawaii partly the multi-island logistics and decisions and extra costs were daunting, and I wondered why not just go to Oahu. So maybe we will!

Mila Kunis could make me forget Sarah Marshall... :cool:

Great idea! So many people come to Hawaii and just see Waikiki and think that is what Oahu is all about......anyone who lives here never goes to Waikiki......:flowers:

Hawaii, especially Oahu is OK for a short period of time, but if you plan a long term stay, there are ... limiting factors.

Having lived on the East side of Oahu for some years before returning to the Mainland I found it to be a bit limiting and expensive - and traffic now....well... If you are going for strictly the weather and relaxation for a short period (couple of months), and are sold on Hawaii, I suggest the Big Island or Kauai.

M

Hawaii, especially Oahu is OK for a short period of time, but if you plan a long term stay, there are ... limiting factors.

Having lived on the East side of Oahu for some years before returning to the Mainland I found it to be a bit limiting and expensive - and traffic now....well... If you are going for strictly the weather and relaxation for a short period (couple of months), and are sold on Hawaii, I suggest the Big Island or Kauai.

M

Or if you don't need to go to Honolulu on a regular basis, the North Shore, did you live in Aina Hina or Hawaii Kai?

Or if you don't need to go to Honolulu on a regular basis, the North Shore, did you live in Aina Hina or Hawaii Kai?

We lived in Hawaii Kai, when it was a bit nicer than it is now.

No major complaints, and we liked the locals, just not where we would select for retirement - got a bit of rock fever. If you have family there or do not plan to travel in retirement and desire Hawaii, I would still go for the outer islands - far less tourist traffic and congestion. Traveling from Hawaii anywhere such as Europe, etc, is much more expensive, if you plan that.

We lived in Hawaii Kai, when it was a bit nicer than it is now.

No major complaints, and we liked the locals, just not where we would select for retirement - got a bit of rock fever. If you have family there or do not plan to travel in retirement and desire Hawaii, I would still go for the outer islands - far less tourist traffic and congestion. Traveling from Hawaii anywhere such as Europe, etc, is much more expensive, if you plan that.

I actually did live in Hawaii Kai and Nui Valley (Remember that small area?) When I lived on the outer Islands I found myself needing items or things I wanted to do that were all on Oahu, that is why I ended up here after Kona and Maui.

As far as travel goes, I leave Hawaii once a year for 2-3 weeks for Nevada so the travel thing also never hurt me.......I guess it is like they say, what works for one person may or may not work for another....

I am very lucky that in over 35 years I have never gotten rock fever although I am very familiar with people who have.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up living?

Back
Top Bottom