What are the downsides you have found to traveling

I think one of main downsides of travel for us is that we feel we need to be "on guard" a lot from: not getting scammed, not getting pickpocketted/robbed, health and safety concerns, corrupt cops/government officials, etc. Tourists are typically targeted one way or another.

But don't get me wrong, we've met wonderful people when we travel and appreciate the destinations we've experienced but losing your phone/laptop/passport, getting injured, getting tossed in jail is obviously going to be a bigger pain in the rear while traveling than while at home.

Anyone else have an issue with having to use the restroom frequently? How do you deal with that? I once had to leave the security line only to have to start over. I also dread flights where the seatbelt sign stays on. That kind of ruins long flights for me.

My biggest complaint is that now that I am flying more and can sometimes qualify for 'reward' status the rewards are not available. Even Zillion Mile Platinum Diamond members are finding it hard to get an upgrade to business or first class. Heck sometimes even premium economy is not available unless I buy a more expensive ticket and then only if somebody else doesn't show up or decides not to pay for the upgrade.

Fancy airport lounges have more restrictions on them. A while back I flew 1st class (on somebody else's dime) and found out that was not good enough to get into the airline's lounge without 'status'. Now I have status but I can't afford 1st class. What's the point?

Reward programs have definitely been watered down. Fortunately, I learned that from reading posts on FlyerTalk form people who'd hoarded miles to use after retirement. Earn 'em and burn 'em!

I was really annoyed when I flounced into the AA lounge (Admiral's Club) 3 years ago, with Gold status, flying Coach on an international itinerary and expected to get lounge access as I had for years under those conditions. Nope- they took that away, too. Now I just buy a day pass at whatever lounge I want if I have a long wait. No loyalty whatsoever, since the airlines don't have any, either.

Anyone else have an issue with having to use the restroom frequently? How do you deal with that? I once had to leave the security line only to have to start over. I also dread flights where the seatbelt sign stays on. That kind of ruins long flights for me.

We always book business or first class, primarily for this reason. They seem to be a little more lenient to allow one to use the toilet up front, and the line is never like in coach. As for security, we always get TSA pre-check, typically from my Nexus card and Trusted Traveler status, but I gotta get the DW one soon. Usually:dance: the first class line in security is shorter as well.

+1
I've always hated tours. Too many people, too regimented, too little free time.
Recently, we've had to put up with the organized nonsense a couple of times (Alaska/Denali and Galapagos) but by choosing a high end outfit (Lindblad/NatGeo for both) it was quite bearable.
On our last two tours, one to the East Coast, and the other to the Canadian Rockies, we went with Tauck. They are more laid back, dining is choice of menus, hotels are Fairmont or equivalent.
Yes, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Since we are cutting back on traveling, we can take fewer more expensive trips and stay within our travel budget.

When you don't have a "must" list, foreign travel can be relaxing and enjoyable. I can think of at least a dozen European cities we have visited this way and I have nothing but wonderful memories of each one. No pressure to see the sights, no fixed itinerary, just take it as it comes.
Almost couldn't agree more. I usually arrive at a destination with a list of a few things I'd like to see, and some areas where I'd like to wander with camera. Generally, I do one of each per day after reviewing the options in the morning. The days I do neither usually happen when I stumble upon a site more interesting or an area that acts like a magnet on my camera. I have no problem with post trip conversations where someone says 'You went to A and DIDN'T see B?!'

I've learned to pee early, pee often, pee before no or limited access. Smell food or see the cabin crew concentrated in the galleys? Go pee, it might be an hour before you can. Feel a couple of bumps when the seatbelt sign is off? Go pee, it might be seatbelt time for who knows how long. Forty five minutes before estimated landing time (this varies by size of plane and airport)? Last chance until you're in the terminal, and if applicable, past immigration. I'm a former civilian pilot, so I notice when the pilot drops the nose a bit at the beginning of an approach. Seatbelt sign soon follows.

Airport 'Security Checks'...likely a total (or at least partial) farce since numerous 'radicalized' individuals have from time to time been identified as being employed as airport baggage handlers.

"Hell is other people"...Jean Paul Sartre.

My biggest complaint is that now that I am flying more and can sometimes qualify for 'reward' status the rewards are not available. Even Zillion Mile Platinum Diamond members are finding it hard to get an upgrade to business or first class. Heck sometimes even premium economy is not available unless I buy a more expensive ticket and then only if somebody else doesn't show up or decides not to pay for the upgrade.

Fancy airport lounges have more restrictions on them. A while back I flew 1st class (on somebody else's dime) and found out that was not good enough to get into the airline's lounge without 'status'. Now I have status but I can't afford 1st class. What's the point?

Reward programs have definitely been watered down. Fortunately, I learned that from reading posts on FlyerTalk form people who'd hoarded miles to use after retirement. Earn 'em and burn 'em!

I was really annoyed when I flounced into the AA lounge (Admiral's Club) 3 years ago, with Gold status, flying Coach on an international itinerary and expected to get lounge access as I had for years under those conditions. Nope- they took that away, too. Now I just buy a day pass at whatever lounge I want if I have a long wait. No loyalty whatsoever, since the airlines don't have any, either.

They have been watered down but I still get treated well by Delta as a Diamond Medallion. My upgrade percentage is still above 95%. I get a membership to the Sky Club because of my DM status but that ends at the end of this year but they are giving 3 choice benefits starting next year and SC membership is one of them. I probably won't take that because I have the Delta Reserve card that gets me into the club anyway.

One huge benefit to DM status is the ability to get global upgrade certificates. I use them to upgrade to business class on cheap international flights. I've even flown the upper deck of the 747 multiple times to Japan and Europe.

I'm sitting on 3/4 of a million sky miles right now. I mainly use them to purchase first and business class fares for personal travel by using Pay With Miles. This still gives me the qualifying miles and dollars I need to reach Diamond every year.

Been retired for over 4 years now. I was United Platinum while w*rking. Now I am a grunt. I still have 500k miles to use, but today that is only 1 good Business Class trip for 2 internationally.

The only downside for us is length of flight. Often our elapsed time, two or three flights to get to destination, is anywhere from 18-23 hours.

Sure, I miss the perks of business travel. Lots of points accumulation, upgrades, airport lounges, hotel floors, etc. But the absence of these benefits do not in any way cause us to limit our travel.

We just did KLM flights from Amsterdam, what a wonderful checkin process they have, compared to our O'hare system.
The actual flight, was jammed up tiny economy seats, with the tv screen so close to your face it was almost too close to focus.
However, the food was pretty good, and the free wine handed out really smoothed the ride.

Next time though, I think I will spring for a more expensive seat than economy, as it was pretty cramped sitting there for an 8 hour flight.

Sure, I miss the perks of business travel. Lots of points accumulation, upgrades, airport lounges, hotel floors, etc. But the absence of these benefits do not in any way cause us to limit our travel.

When I feel like it, I get a day pass at whatever airline lounge is handy. It works out better than an annual membership to one particular airline's lounges since you can't always find one (or an affiliated one) when you're stuck in an airport for a few hours. Very calming in the midst of beeping carts and blaring announcements outside.

When I feel like it, I get a day pass at whatever airline lounge is handy. It works out better than an annual membership to one particular airline's lounges since you can't always find one (or an affiliated one) when you're stuck in an airport for a few hours. Very calming in the midst of beeping carts and blaring announcements outside.

+1. Stepping away from the cacophony for an hour or two can make an okay trip a great one.

Also, as a military retiree, I also will sometimes use USO lounges (and donate while there). The ones I've used are comfy, quiet, and well stocked.

+1 Except we went ahead and got a membership. We're flying a lot this year and have some long layovers at hub airports. I went ahead and got the membership (happy early Father's Day to me), while my wife was skeptical about it. After the first time in the lounge, we felt more relaxed and refreshed. Nothing beats stepping out of the lounge 5 minutes before the plane boarded (gate happened to be next to lounge that first time). I think my wife enjoyed it more than I did.

1- I'm tired a lot.
When I fly to another time zone I am tired from the flight, then I'm tired from the jet lag, and when I finally do begin to adjust to the different time zone i fly back home and have to readjust all over again. I'm also finding that as I get older my body doesn't adapt as quickly anymore to these sudden changes, so it is taking me a good 7-10 days to feel normal again. Since I'm traveling around every 6 weeks it feels like I am now tired almost a third of the time.

DW and I love to travel, although with MIL's death last December and FIL's declining health, our travel opportunities, even being early retirees, have been significantly curtailed.
However, a "trick" I learned during our international travels, especially with a 26+ hours travel from Hawaii to Italy and back 2 to 3 times a year, is to take Melatonin for 3 straight days before my flight...and take them when it would be bedtime at my destination. So with HI and Italy being 12 hours apart, I would take melatonin for three days before my flight at 1000 hours (10:00 AM). I find traveling east makes jetlag more of an issue...but on my last flight from HI to Italy, I flew in on Saturday morning, and by Monday morning, we were jetting off to Amsterdam with no jetlag issues. This trick works for me...worth a try if you suffer from jetlag.

The downside is that I can only hold mail for one month. I have two kids nearby so each month, one kid will pick up my mail.
I made friends with my mailman and he can hold my mail for longer than 1 month...just another way to go about it.

Our long-trip threshold is three weeks. By then we are ready to go home. At the halfway point of a longer trip we schedule a down day with little or nothing scheduled. A good time to relax and recharge.

Re getting sick it happens. We carry generic Imodium, generic Sudafed, and ibuprofen plus azithromycin or some other 3-day antibiotic blast for the occasional gastric excitement. The latter requires a prescription and your doc can tell you about options there, but I'm sure he/she will give you the scrip.
DW and I feel the same way about length of travel...3-4 weeks at a destination would be about what we prefer and by then we are ready to head back home. Being a home gardener, I always "worry" about my plants.
We also include Imodium, Sudafed, Nyquil and Tylenol in our packing list...not so much antibiotics, although prior to a trip to the Philippines and Singapore recently, we were actually referred by our Primary Care Provider to a Travel Clinic and the doctor there reviewed our shots to make sure we have the adequate immunizations for our destinations and prescribed certain medications that we took with us (mainly for addressing traveler's diarrhea and such).

On our last two tours, one to the East Coast, and the other to the Canadian Rockies, we went with Tauck. They are more laid back, dining is choice of menus, hotels are Fairmont or equivalent.
Yes, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Since we are cutting back on traveling, we can take fewer more expensive trips and stay within our travel budget.
DW and I normally prefer not traveling with a group, although for a trip with multiple flights and destinations/countries, we are considering an outfit like Tauck. I've heard some good and bad things about them, so the research continues. I will look at Tauck for a trip we are planning to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos.

Although we can afford it, we have yet to travel in style by splurging for business or first class for those long international flights, or even from here in HI to the mainland USA...guess old habits (that allowed us to RE) die hard.

I have to share an anecdote I heard from a fellow traveler while we were in Europe. He said "Europeans think 100 miles is far, while Americans think 100 years is long"...pretty much sums things up.

Back in 1985 I was flying so much on Pan Am (remember them) that they offered me a deal. For $600 I bought a lifetime pass to their airport "Clipper Club" lounges. Fabulous deal, but no longer quite so useful when I moved in 1989 to a city where the only practical option was Delta.

Then when Pan Am went under, Delta bought most of it. One day in 1991 I got a nice letter from Delta telling me that my old Clipper Club lifetime pass was being converted to its Delta equivalent.

When they merged with Northwest and changed their system again, I got another nice letter saying I had been grandfathered again. So for $600 I've had 32 years (and counting) of airport lounge access. Probably the best deal I've ever made.

Back
Top Bottom