What is a good price on Alaska cruises

I'm just wondering if waiting until Mar/Apr there might be better deals. Really don't care about the room (just sleep in it and then I'm out and about) or which cruise line I go on. I'm thinking the deals might get better as they try and fill up the boat.

If the cruise ships are running March and April, the fares would be cheap. First, the ship would be close to empty and second, it is rainy and snowy in the far North until June. Alaska is a Mid-May to first of September like of place.

alaska tour season doesn't really start until mid June, so early June vs. late June has a cliff much like pre/post Memorial day. I was there the 2nd week of June and there was still avalanche warnings on some of the trails, and the salmon were running late so saw less bears but no mosquitos so plus/minus there. I personally think the best part of Alaska is the interior so that will also dictate costs of the cruise.

I personally cheated, went to Princess Cruises looked up their Interior plan and looked up all the trips you could go on, then just flew to Anchorage, rented a car and booked all the same things for a fraction of the cost. That was the best trip I ever took, we drove as far into Denali as we could, got out and looked over the bridge to see a mother grizzly with 2 cubs playing in the ravine, totally safe so we watched for an hour, then took the trail there and saw elk and sheep up close (sheep maybe too up close, nearly ran into them as we both were going up the hill and met at the top). Next day we took the bus, saw all the big 5, got out, hiked to the glacier and then saw a moose a little too close for my comfort as we were backed into a ravine, but up we climbed. Between the whale watching, white water rafting, ocean kayaking with the dolphins and sea otters, and just general great scenario it really was one for the books.

My parents took the cruise, they came back and said, yep we saw Ice, water, glaciers and not much else.

The prices noted above are certainly accurate. We have followed them for the last two seasons. Late booking have been anywhere from $299/399/599 for inside, outside obstructed/outside to $399/540/699 USD from Vancouver plus port taxes.

We live within driving distance so I usually check the prices. We tend to do a lot of late booking travel. We took the first last minute when we lived in Vancouver. Booked on Wednesday, boarded on Sat for a 7 day return in mid Aug on RCI.

Pricing is purely dependent on supply and demand. CAD was down this year so demand was up. HAL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, RCI all dock in Vancouver. We found that the best last minute prices were on HAL (older ships), Princess, and NCL. Of course, next season could be a whole new ball game. No cruises in March!

Just spent some time looking at Caribbean fares...especially from San Juan.

I highly recommend the 14 day Holland America cruises out of Seattle. Great ports that the 7 day cruises miss out on - Kodiak, Homer, Icy Straight, Anchorage - in addition to the standards - Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria

I highly recommend the 14 day Holland America cruises out of Seattle. Great ports that the 7 day cruises miss out on - Kodiak, Homer, Icy Straight, Anchorage - in addition to the standards - Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria

This is the one I went with. We liked the idea of seeing a number of different ports and not have to deal with offloading mid vacation onto a bus/train. We were thinking that on the next trip up there would do more interior.

karen1972 you have a great idea!! I'm now thinking that on our next trip to Alaska we might drive up the ALCAN highway to see the interior just like you and then catch a ferry back down to Vancouver. I drove the ALCAN back in 1971 as a Freshman in college as part of a Geology summer class. I imagine it's changed a bit since then.

We did the Alaskan ‘Inside Passage’ Norwegian Sun cruise late August. Starting in Seward ending in Vancouver BC. We loved it. Used “Vacations To Go” to book the cruise. It was painless, they took care of everything. Cost was $1800 for 2.

We paid $2340 per person including fees and taxes on HA 10 day Land and Sea "journey" plus airfare to Vancouver first week of June. Included an upgraded meal and $50 drink card. 4 days on board in a Verandah suite nice mid ships nice balcony. Vancouver , Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, train to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, overland to Dawson, YT, fight to Fairbanks (yawn), Denali for 2 days. We were lucky and had clear days so we had a great view of the mountain so much wild life Bears with their cubs, Sheep, Bald Eagles in the Yukon. We did see a Moose IN THE PARKING LOT OF OUR RESORT lol. From Denali to Anchorage in a glass covered train car with a lot more wildlife seen. Glad we splurged on some neat excursions. Zip line, Glacier tour, Dog Sledding, Dinner Show etc. HA runs the tours like a well oiled machine our "Journey Host" was awesome. Really a good balance of free time and planned activities. We had a great time.

If we ever go cruising (just went once in 2002 on a small boat from now defunct Cruise West) it's going to the small ship companies like Windstar or Uncruise or Lindblad.

Yeah, waaaay more expensive. But DH will not set foot on a larger ship, and I'm kind of with him on that.

We pushed out cruising for when we're older and not able to get around so much on our own. Or, it might be a nice way to have extended family travel with us.

Last edited:
If you have good mobility (because the beds are bunks) consider the Alaska Ferry system. Because cabins are sold based on type, not the number of occupants, if a 4-bed cabin is available book that if you need 2 lower bunks. Cabins sell out fast so don't expect last minute cabins. We engaged a tour operator to arrange the trip, maybe this one https://www.ferrytravel.com/page298.htm or Alaska State Ferry Maps, Routes and Running Times, Marine Highway, Alaska Ferry

On the way back a troop of First People's dancers practiced for a competition in Fairbanks. Fantastic experience.

Engage with the locals.

Last edited:
If you have good mobility (because the beds are bunks) consider the Alaska Ferry system. Because cabins are sold based on type, not the number of occupants, if a 4-bed cabin is available book that if you need 2 lower bunks. Cabins sell out fast so don't expect last minute cabins. We engaged a tour operator to arrange the trip, maybe this one https://www.ferrytravel.com/page298.htm or Alaska State Ferry Maps, Routes and Running Times, Marine Highway, Alaska Ferry

On the way back a troop of First People's dancers practiced for a competition in Fairbanks. Fantastic experience.

Engage with the locals.

I have taken several Alaska ferry "cruises" and cannot say enough good things about them, especially the one out to Dutch Harbor. You stop in tiny villages with no other access, and have plenty of time to walk around.

Which is exactly what we say about that, and taking the train across Canada......"If we can't do that then perhaps we can do this".
The problem with the Canadian train trip from Toronto to Vancouver is the days you travel across Manitoba and Saskatchewan. It is like driving through Kansas.
We took a trip with Tauck called the Grand Canadian Rockies, from Vancouver to Calgary.. It was fantastic! I have attached a copy of the trip story.

Attachments

• Western Canada 2015.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
The problem with the Canadian train trip from Toronto to Vancouver is the days you travel across Manitoba and Saskatchewan. It is like driving through Kansas.
We took a trip with Tauck called the Grand Canadian Rockies, from Vancouver to Calgary.. It was fantastic! I have attached a copy of the trip story.

Great thanks.....lived on Salt Spring Island for 8 years, visited Mayne, Pender, Saturna, et al, with regular trips to Victoria....never went up in a float plane though.......also drove pretty much from the B.C. coast to Cape Breton.

Yeah, for those people who haven't been through Sask, Man, and parts of Alberta, but who have seen the movie Fargo, there are places where, even if you're doing 80 mph, the scenery doesn't change and you feel as if you could just step out of the car....because 'obviously' you must have stopped. :LOL:

The train trip, if we ever do it, (DW has never been west of Lake Superior), will likely be when we're unable to get/afford medical coverage to go elsewhere, and then it'll be 'grab a book and look out the window from time to time'.

Yeah, for those people who haven't been through Sask, Man, and parts of Alberta, but who have seen the movie Fargo, there are places where, even if you're doing 80 mph, the scenery doesn't change and you feel as if you could just step out of the car....because 'obviously' you must have stopped. :LOL:
Yes the trip from Toronto to Vancouver includes 1400 miles to get out of Ontario. Nice country. Lots of trees and lakes. The next 900 miles is absolute boredom until west of Edmonton. Then you can't get enough of it!

I always check out vacationstogo dot com for a great searchable website and easy use company.

I agee, sweetana...gimme the data! VTG does that, and I like that. Although the email response is lackluster, if you call them on the phone, they're on their game.

We had done 3 round trips and 1 one-way.. If you can, do the one-way with balcony...What we did stayed in Seward in a cabin for $400 a week..rented a car.. awesome time..All the tours was done before we got on the cruise... If you can reserve Harv and Marv in Juneau AK. Whale watching with only 6 of us. and also did the glacier on the way back for free..Half the price than reserving on the ship....You can PM and I can find most of the stuff we did at each port..

Costco travel has Alaska cruses on their website. As others have mentioned be sure you travel the inland passage.

Back
Top Bottom