What is going on with AF

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday I checked Escape Houston for airline tickets , not Turkish Airlines to Europe . Tickets to Paris or Amsterdam were 538.00 in August on American / Finnish Airlines. We haven't seen these prices in years ...probably missed them but from Houston to Amsterdam for two people for less then 1600.00 is a great deal for us . We bought ! Now get our Eurorail pass and we will be in good shape . Wooooooo Hoooooooooo

There are a number of budget airlines that have acquired new generation, more efficient airplanes than the big legacy airlines like American, Delta and United airlines have. They have entered the transatlantic market the last 3 years.

We flew Norwegian Air Shuttle from Budapest to Boston last April for $238. In April, we are flying Dublin to Newburg, NY for $158. I got a note yesterday the Dublin flight is going to be on a brand new Boeing 737 Max which is a stretch 737 with extended range. Most of their other flights are on Boeing 787s.

Economy airlines are no frills and I have no problem picnicing--bringing my own food on board. But the budget airlines have allowed us to take twice as many European vacations as we usually would take.

Don't think Turkish Airlines is a second tier airline as they are a very good operation. Trouble is their return flights sometimes require staying overnight in Istanbul.

And as far as getting a Eurail Pass, experienced travelers usually book train reservations ahead of time and travel much cheaper than the Eurail Pass.

Last edited:
I am seeing exactly what you are saying here in Houston . Are those prices round trip , wow ! I never heard of Finnish Air before , but they are partnering with American. A 737 stretch flying Intercontinental . I have heard about this but I have not seen them yet .

A 737 stretch flying Intercontinental . I have heard about this but I have not seen them yet .

It’s quite common these days. The range of newer, more fuel efficient 737s is greater. It’s essier to fill smaller planes. This is why the 747 is becoming obsolete as a passenger jet.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...to-fly-trans-atlantic-routes/article31908030/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-to-go-transatlantic-with-flights-to-dublin-1.2427850

Air Canada Adding Transatlantic 737 Flights - One Mile at a Time

Last edited:
I might be wrong , but flying from Houston to Europe nonstop . Would the newer 737's be able to handle enough fuel . I don't think it is possible today .

Quite a few airlines are doing it, including other Canadian and US transatlantic routes.

It might be better and more efficient for the airlines but for the passengers ?
No thanks. Quite a few complaints online. That is quite a long time to be stuck on a small narrowbody.

I might be wrong , but flying from Houston to Europe nonstop . Would the newer 737's be able to handle enough fuel . I don't think it is possible today .

Probably not. Houston to London is 4846 Miles. But St. John’s to Dublin is only 2043 Miles. That’s a short hop!

I don't know why they are cheaper, but I grabbed fares DFW to Melbourne for 838 leaving in Feb and same price in May for SAT to Johannesburg. Knocking out that bucket list! Also saw some pretty cheap flights to Vancouver to do Alaska, but DH eyes were rolling around and his head was spinning off so I took pity on him and quit booking for this year.

There are a number of budget airlines that have acquired new generation, more efficient airplanes than the big legacy airlines like American, Delta and United airlines have. They have entered the transatlantic market the last 3 years.

We flew Norwegian Air Shuttle from Budapest to Boston last April for $238. In April, we are flying Dublin to Newburg, NY for $158. I got a note yesterday the Dublin flight is going to be on a brand new Boeing 737 Max which is a stretch 737 with extended range. Most of their other flights are on Boeing 787s.

Economy airlines are no frills and I have no problem picnicing--bringing my own food on board. But the budget airlines have allowed us to take twice as many European vacations as we usually would take.

Don't think Turkish Airlines is a second tier airline as they are a very good operation. Trouble is their return flights sometimes require staying overnight in Istanbul.

And as far as getting a Eurail Pass, experienced travelers usually book train reservations ahead of time and travel much cheaper than the Eurail Pass.
...What website do you go to to get the cheaper train reservations? We have booked flights and lodging to for Amsterdam and Paris for October but have not bought train tickets yet.

Lately I have noticed that Paris frequently comes up with sub $600 flights from ORD and it is usually the least expensive European destination. Now I understand why :)

During searches for my next trip I kept seeing a tempting ~$2k flight on Turkish Airlines in business class. However, there was a long layover, I think on the way back, that would've caused me to burn an extra vacation day so I went with premium economy.

This year I've noticed that premium economy is often running 2.5 to 3 times the cost of an economy ticket when it used to be roughly double. Any guesses as to why? Also, a co-worker says that he can get premium economy seats by paying a $275 upcharge each way. That would be much less than what I paid to book them directly. This is on Lufthansa. Am I making a mistake by booking premium economy directly?

, a co-worker says that he can get premium economy seats by paying a $275 upcharge each way. That would be much less than what I paid to book them directly. This is on Lufthansa. Am I making a mistake by booking premium economy directly?
I dont book it in advance. I once got an upgrade to economy plus on Air France for $75 RT but yeah, $200-275 is more common. I'd upgrade the Australia trip but I'm an aisle seat on the emergency row so I get more legroom already. It's as low as $15 on Jet Blue but only at the airport if there's any left after check in so a crap shoot

Last edited:
I was checking in September or there abouts.

doh! each way. So $1600 RT. Plus $600 in taxes & fees. The southwest airlines model gets me again.

Still not bad

+1. Planning a trip to Europe this fall. I haven't found anything that comes close. We will fly to EWR the day prior and do a little sightseeing. Probably do same on return. If I find a better deal for biz or first class, I'll take it. But, I've been searching for a couple months without success.

I, for one, find nothing premium about premium economy. I'm 5'8'' so don't need leg room. I had a PE seat before and the guy next to me had a two ticket ass. Half of him was in my seat from DUB to JFK. :mad:

I, for one, find nothing premium about premium economy. I'm 5'8'' so don't need leg room. I had a PE seat before and the guy next to me had a two ticket ass. Half of him was in my seat from DUB to JFK. :mad:

Perhaps we are referring to different economy upgrades. Premium economy on Lufthansa and LOT buys you a seat with two fixed arm rests of your own. A large person next to you could still cramp your space a bit, but no way is he or she encroaching on your seating space. Premium economy includes:

-- a wider seat
-- up to 8" of additional leg room
-- a seat that lays back further than in cattle country
-- the aforementioned separate arm rests
-- bigger video monitors
-- meals served on china with silverware
-- priority boarding and baggage handling
-- two checked bags
-- On LOT I get meals and drinks on short connecting flights!

I am 6' 3" so I can't even move my legs in economy if the person in front of me puts their seat back. Economy Plus or Comfort Plus typically only buys you extra legroom. It's enough to make a transatlantic flight tolerable for me, but I enjoy premium economy class. However, not when it nears $2,000 for a round trip ticket to Europe.

My worry about not buying a premium economy ticket up front is that I would pay for a non-refundable economy ticket and then discover that all of the upgrades and aisle seats were sold out. If there was a way to guard against that, I would change my shopping behavior.

We are going from the east coast to Barcelona in June and then back from London--both nonstop 787 Dreamliner on Norwegian Air. Cost around $1600 for both of us. But we have the "bells and whistles"--checked bags, food and confirmed seat which is about $90 pp each way--so would have been around 1200-1300 for two of us if we had gone cheap.

And I did that in 2015. Daughter was studying abroad and I met her there. Took one carry-one (free), took some food from the airport and sat wherever they put me--didn't need to sit next to anyone. It was not nonstop but it was the inaugural flight to Copenhagen so they had cupcakes at the gate and the captain, etc were there for photos. That was also a 787 Dreamliner.

Some airlines, like Lufthansa and Air Canada Rouge actually give you a significantly winder seat with two armrests between seats. Alas, USA airlines still give us the same seat width, just a single armrest, and only a few more inches of legroom. Not so good.

That said, if you don't need the legroom, why in the world pay for Premium Economy whose only major benefit is a few more inches of legroom?

I am also 5'8" and my legs don't fit in a regular economy seat. There's no way I'm flying for 14 hours abroad with my legs scrunched up. I don't need the width and always keep my arm rest down claiming 1/2. The other passenger's weight is not my issue

The interesting thing about my economy plus on Air France was that instead of it being a 3-5-3 arrangement in each row it was a 2-3-2 arrangement in each row so economy plus is not the same on all flights. Air Nipon was 3-4-3 but upstairs so not as crowded

Thanks for the info on Lufthansa I'll look them up to see if my flight out to Budapest would be better on them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom