Covid Testing, Digital covid vacc apps, Oh My!!!

The beer is definitely cheaper in Prague. At one point during the pandemic, the tourist areas of Prague reduced beer prices so locals would visit. Normally prices are much higher in these areas, but due to the lack of tourists, they had to adjust. I suspect that is over now, but you can still find reasonable prices if you look around.

Prague is off the list. Apparently a negative covid test is needed in addition to the vax record... and local clinics in Munich were charging 80 Euro. They went to Vienna instead.

Additionally train strikes hit Munich - they got out on one of the few trains still running.

Apparently Vienna has the nicest bathrooms in a hostel of their trip so far.

Prague is off the list. Apparently a negative covid test is needed in addition to the vax record... and local clinics in Munich were charging 80 Euro. They went to Vienna instead.

Additionally train strikes hit Munich - they got out on one of the few trains still running.

Apparently Vienna has the nicest bathrooms in a hostel of their trip so far.

Loved Vienna. We found great schnitzel there, slice thin, fried to a delicate golden brown, yet light and almost flaky. We also had great potato salad there, the best I've ever had. All in a small restaurant where nobody spoke much English at all.

We had a wonderful time. One of the best days was taking a bus up to Kahlenburg which is a high area and gives you wonderful panoramic views of the Danube and Vienna. And then we hiked down through the Vienna Woods, and then hiking paths along vineyards that surround the city. Vienna itself is a wine region. Finally made it down to the Nussdorf area where we relaxed at a traditional heuriger (wine tavern serving their own wine) in the courtyard of one of the houses Beethoven lived in. Lovely!
https://pfarrplatz.at/

Last edited:
We had a wonderful time. One of the best days was taking a bus up to Kahlenburg which is a high area and gives you wonderful panoramic views of the Danube and Vienna. And then we hiked down through the Vienna Woods, and then hiking paths along vineyards that surround the city. Vienna itself is a wine region. Finally made it down to the Nussdorf area where we relaxed at a traditional heuriger (wine tavern serving their own wine) in the courtyard of one of the houses Beethoven lived in. Lovely!

This does sound lovely! Thanks for posting! <Sigh> We're so ready to get back to Europe.

Loved Vienna. We found great schnitzel there, slice thin, fried to a delicate golden brown, yet light and almost flaky. We also had great potato salad there, the best I've ever had. All in a small restaurant where nobody spoke much English at all.

He's got that covered. The buddy he's traveling with (high school friend/swim team together, etc.) speaks fairly fluent German. Was in an immersive German language middle school and his dad is German. (Friend is dual citizen, as well.) My son's very bad Spanish, in Barcelona, was less help. And neither have any french - so Lyon was interesting....

Yes, you need a covid test to visit Czech. That's a bummer they weren't able to go. It's a fun city with good and inexpensive beer/food. The sites are also worth a visit, a scenic city with lots to do. Hopefully he can make it there sometime in the future.

The food in Vienna is excellent. We stayed close to the Naschmarkt, which had a good selection of food stalls and restaurants. Definitely not off the beaten path, but still good, even though the schnitzel we had there was too salty. I find that the food in Austria is good where ever you go. I had great schnitzel in Villach, on our way back from Italy. Along with a wonderful conversation with a German couple that were on a biking tour in the Dolomites.

And neither have any french - so Lyon was interesting....

Another great food city. On the last day, I took a morning walk and ended up in Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse, which was around the corner from my hotel. Didn't plan a visit there and ended up leaving with way too much food.

I'll be in Europe in a couple of days and can't wait for the food. It's been almost two years, which is way too long!

Prague may be back on the list. From what he said, the tests are required if coming from some countries and not others. Germany was on the test list, Austria may not be. I should find out in the next day or two.

I agree that Prague is a great city.

Your son probably can't even realize at this point, but I know all of us reading this do, he is going to have amazing stories for a lifetime from this. My goodness! I think a lot of us are travelling vicariously through him reading along.

Prague may be back on the list. From what he said, the tests are required if coming from some countries and not others. Germany was on the test list, Austria may not be. I should find out in the next day or two.

That's awesome. The requirements change somewhat regularly and coming over land might be a slightly different. Tough to keep track all of the different countries and their requirements.

I hope he's able to make it!

Turns out they are hoping for cheaper covid tests. Munich went from free to 80 euro. Since this is hostels and rail passes budget traveling... 80 euros is a couple nights lodging.

Turns out they are hoping for cheaper covid tests. Munich went from free to 80 euro. Since this is hostels and rail passes budget traveling... 80 euros is a couple nights lodging.

I'm not sure they'll be cheaper in Czech. For a PCR test, it was around $80 at the airport. I'm guessing the antigen tests are cheaper and would be enough for your son.

Was that 80 euros for a PCR test or antigen?

80 euros for antigen. His friend was based in Germany (at his dad's summer house) prior to training to Barcelona for the buddy adventure. He had done a test on arrival in Germany in July. It was free then. Apparently they just started charging.

I suspect it's similar to here (San Diego). There are county run sites that are free. Sounds like Germany just stopped the free tests.

I am glad I read some of this thread. We are flying through LHR to Prague in Sept. Train down to Vienna, then train over to Munich and fly home. We had plans to include a Celebrity greek cruise and fly over to Barcelona. Things do change. I cancelled the greek cruise after returning last week from our Alaska cruise. Not too excited about the CDC mask requirements and our experience was sub par anyway. After I cancelled Spain and Greece hotels, we got an email that Barcelona is closed until October (at least at Hyatt Sofia) and the gov states that terrorism against tourists is too high a risk. Both Greece and Spain are level 4 now. I had no idea covid testing started again for tourists to Czech areas, likely not required for USA tourists flying in direct. I will keep checking so to speak.

And just got a DM from son - they already did it this morning! Good boys!

I am glad I read some of this thread. We are flying through LHR to Prague in Sept. Train down to Vienna, then train over to Munich and fly home. We had plans to include a Celebrity greek cruise and fly over to Barcelona. Things do change. I cancelled the greek cruise after returning last week from our Alaska cruise. Not too excited about the CDC mask requirements and our experience was sub par anyway. After I cancelled Spain and Greece hotels, we got an email that Barcelona is closed until October (at least at Hyatt Sofia) and the gov states that terrorism against tourists is too high a risk. Both Greece and Spain are level 4 now. I had no idea covid testing started again for tourists to Czech areas, likely not required for USA tourists flying in direct. I will keep checking so to speak.

Yeah - Barcelona went to level 4 right as he was leaving on this trip. He flies out of Barcelona in 2 weeks. He does not plan on spending time there... (Since he spent several days at the start of the trip.) But he and I are negotiating (me advising, him disagreeing) how/when he goes back to Barcelona. Their tentative plan is to do Prague & Budapest... then head to Split Croatia... My son does not want to allow the time necessary to return by train - but also doesn't want to pay $$ for a plane ticket to Barcelona... I'm encouraging him to arrive in Barcelona the day before he leaves... just to avoid glitches in travel. He is resistant because this gives up a day of fun before a day and a half train journey.

Last edited:
That's great he was able to get a free test. Prague will be such fun, though I understand it has gotten more expensive now. Vienna and Austria have this coffee culture that is a wonderful way to pack on pounds. Dessert and coffee, like clockwork, everyday. Yum. So good.

He is in Prague. Apparently last night was a long one... and they did not have seat reservations so were standing/sitting for most of the train ride. Oh - and the train had no AC (not even in first class) and it was 95. I suspect he crashed pretty quickly after checking into the hostel.

I reminded him that if it gets too hot - go down in the metro.... It's super cool down there. (Not much to see or do other than hop on a subway - but it's cool.)

More pandemic restriction info.

Night clubs in both Vienna and Prague require both vax AND negative covid test within 48 hours. The test they did in Vienna was similar to the emed ones linked in one of the early posts in this thread.... Telehealth video call while test is administered. Their hostel in Vienna had these tests for free. They grabbed some extra tests and are are using them to qualify.

This info came about because he showed me a pic with him and his new friends at a club. No masks, indoors... I expressed concern and he told me about the hoops to go to a club. Not 100% risk free but if everyone is vaxed AND testing negative the risks are reduced.

Fortunately, he continues to test negative. I'm still worried he'll get covid before his return flight.

Quite the crazy adventure during a pandemic! He’ll have lots of interesting stories to tell.

Back
Top Bottom