What’s your favorite city to travel to?

London, Ghent (Brugge without the huge crowds), Budapest, Kraków , Tokyo, Paris and Istanbul. In the U.S, it would be L.A.

After only two half days here, (this morning we took the train to Rasnov and back), I'll add Brasov to our list, (at, or near, the top).

It's a two day holiday here right now, lots of people, although I don't think we've heard a native English speaker yet......some French, a few Germans, but mainly, to our unilingual ears, the people appear to be 'local'.

Oh, this afternoon we did something that we've only ever done once before in our lives, (in Krakow).........lined up for ice cream. .......for 20 minutes........worth it both times!

I loved Munich, and Brugge, Florence was lovely, but really we prefer smaller cities and the countryside. My favorite place on our last trip was Sienna. I didn't want to leave. We loved Kilkenny, and Bayeux. I love the sights in Rome and Paris, but they are too large and noisy for me to feel comfortable there. In the US I love Philly, Chicago, and Boston. And of course New Orleans.

Last edited:
Rome (Italy that is, although Rome GA also has its beauty and charm) definitely. Most walk-able city I have ever experienced. People are so friendly too. Will qualify I have only visited in the fall when the weather is quite nice, no too hot nor too cool, and less crowded.

This is a tough one, as all cities have their different charm. Paris and Amsterdam are tops on my list for what I consider a "city". On the smaller side, and for completely different reasons I really love Bled, Slovenia and Dresden, Germany.

I don't like travel, but if I was to travel someplace I would love to see Honolulu again. I went to high school there and have fond memories of good times.

I know that "you can't go home again" exactly, but still I am sure I would see hints of the Hawaii that I remember from long ago. It was a beautiful, magical place at that time.

Malahide, Ireland and the surrounding countryside. Lots of memories.

We just finished a week in D.C. Only scratched the surface, so we'll return soon.

I don't like travel, but if I was to travel someplace I would love to see Honolulu again. I went to high school there and have fond memories of good times.

I know that "you can't go home again" exactly, but still I am sure I would see hints of the Hawaii that I remember from long ago. It was a beautiful, magical place at that time.

I have not gone back to Hawaii since we moved to the Mainland in 1970. I fear I will be disappointed if I do.

Reactions: W2R
Detroit, MI.

My home town and my friends are still there - :)

Ship docks in Cobh. Thinking of going to Cork for the day VS staying in Cobh. Would love input!!

We went to Ireland with our kids last summer. We loved Cobh, Cork was nice, but we probably wouldn't go back there. The West Cork single malt whiskey was the best we tried in Ireland (but we bought it in Kilkenny!) We're hoarding the last of it. If you go- please bring me back one...

Agree with Meadbh though- the rural areas and small towns are the reason to go to Ireland.

Last edited:
We went to Ireland with our kids last summer. We loved Cobh, Cork was nice, but we probably wouldn't go back there. The West Cork single malt whiskey was the best we tried in Ireland (but we bought it in Kilkenny!) We're hoarding the last of it. If you go- please bring me back one...
Cobh was better than Cork?! It's a 5k "spur of the moment / need to runaway" trip. Know what I'm doing in several ports (Guernsey, Dublin, Belfast, Glascow, Edinburg, Kirkwall) meeting up with an old friend in Le Harve but Cobh was completely unknown

Last edited:
I liked it better, but I admit not being the most conventional traveler. Also not a city girl. I made my husband pull off the side of the road at crumbling churches and monasteries, we took a detour through a national park which turned out to be gorgeous, we stopped and talked to a sheep farmer, tramped through a cow pasture to get to a stone circle etc. We generally avoided everywhere we could that was clogged with tour buses- we had a great time, but I know it wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea.

I liked it better, but I admit not being the most conventional traveler. Also not a city girl. I made my husband pull off the side of the road at crumbling churches and monasteries, we took a detour through a national park which turned out to be gorgeous, we stopped and talked to a sheep farmer, tramped through a cow pasture to get to a stone circle etc. We generally avoided everywhere we could that was clogged with tour buses- we had a great time, but I know it wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea.
Sounds perfect! I don't do tours .... crowds overwhelm me. That's why I steer clear of river cruises. They seem to want to herd people all day. I'd rather hike (Tasmania is great for that), zip line (Alaska), or hang out at a pub .... I'm walking from pier back to my favorite one in Dublin [emoji106]

Cobh was better than Cork?! It's a 5k "spur of the moment / need to runaway" trip. Know what I'm doing in several ports (Guernsey, Dublin, Belfast, Glascow, Edinburg, Kirkwall) meeting up with an old friend in Le Harve but Cobh was completely unknown

maybe not then- I misread your question. I'd best leave that one to a true expert as I spent minimal time there- Meadbh, are you there?

Hanging out in Victoria BC and although it’s not our favorite city it’s definitely the cleanest city we’ve been to, not a speck of garbage anywhere and hardly a homeless to be seen. The parliament grounds are pristine, what a spectacular site.

Hanging out in Victoria BC and although it’s not our favorite city it’s definitely the cleanest city we’ve been to, not a speck of garbage anywhere and hardly a homeless to be seen. The parliament grounds are pristine, what a spectacular site.
Victoria is a great place and the people are friendly. I agree about the cleanliness, but then every place I have ever gone in Canada seems extremely clean to me.

Internationally Paris is one of my favorite. Domestic, I have to go with my home town of NYC, although I recently went to Savannah and loved it.

Hawaii has changed a bit from those days. Plus, viewing the islands as a teenager, having fun with no responsibilities, is a bit different than as an adult.

Sounds perfect! I don't do tours .... crowds overwhelm me. That's why I steer clear of river cruises. They seem to want to herd people all day. I'd rather hike (Tasmania is great for that), zip line (Alaska), or hang out at a pub .... I'm walking from pier back to my favorite one in Dublin [emoji106]

It all about what you make of it.

Often the river cruise tours are a good way to see the standard sights, but sometimes they can get you into some neat places I'd never find on my own. We've gone on chef's tours where the boat's chef took a small group of folks into the local market and showed us a very behind-the-scenes view of it. That was lots of fun. Another time we got into a Bach organ concert in a cathedral that we couldn't have just walked into on our own.

Often we will set off on our own (there is no requirement to go on the included tours). One evening we booked ourselves for a dinner in Vienna that was quite memorable. Another time we stumbled upon a monument that was significant to us, but probably was not to most of the others on the trip.

And DW loves to unpack just once on a trip...

Back
Top Bottom