What’s your favorite city to travel to?

Rome. Friendly, historic, walkable, great food, great wine, they try to accommodate the English language. Been there twice and left each time feeling like I just scratched the surface.

Kind of funny , our favorite town would probably be Brugge . Remember getting so tired there we laid down on a moat hillside and woke up at 800 PM . It is a city that almost looks so storybook you wonder if anyone lives there . For all out fun Amsterdam , we know a lot of friends there so we get into the daily grind. A very good friend of ours in Amsterdam is a judge his DW is a nurse . It is interesting discussing Dutch law ..................

We have not done much International travel but Paris last year was way too short stay. Mrs Scrapr was a bit worried about terrorism. We were on the train in the 18:15 movie going the same direction. We found the people incredibly nice and gracious. After a few days I was relaxed and sipping wine in a street cafe

She wants to go to Greece this year. I'm trying to route us through Paris :D

I have never had a problem with the people in France, even in Paris.

We went to Greece a few years ago and the people there were great. Super friendly and hospitable... and of course the food was fantastic and the beaches were unbelievable!

Never been to Istanbul but the concern would be terrorist attacks there, including attack at the Istanbul airport a year or two ago IIRC.

Scotland sounds great but I learned about midges in the Highlands. Not saying I won't go but gives me pause.

Kind of funny , our favorite town would probably be Brugge.

Definitely in my top three. Really, the only thing bad about it is that it's constantly filled with tourists. Although most of them seem to be from elsewhere in Europe, so it's not like being surrounded with other Americans.

We have not done much International travel but Paris last year was way too short stay. Mrs Scrapr was a bit worried about terrorism. We were on the train in the 18:15 movie going the same direction. We found the people incredibly nice and gracious. After a few days I was relaxed and sipping wine in a street cafe

I've always found the French, on the whole, to be quite nice and helpful. Sure the waiters don't come by the table every 5 minutes and interrupt your private conversations to ask "How is everything?" but, heck, nobody is perfect.

Last year before a trip to Europe several people expressed their concern about safety and the terrorist threat. A few days after our arrival, the LV shootings occurred.

Last year before a trip to Europe several people expressed their concern about safety and the terrorist threat. A few days after our arrival, the LV shootings occurred.

I am currently avoiding travel to the US because I don’t particularly want to get shot.

I am currently avoiding travel to the US because I don’t particularly want to get shot.

You're about as likely to get shot as I am to get gunned down or run over by some terrorist in Europe.

In any case the dollar has fallen a good amount over the last few months, so you are missing a great deal on the USA A while back it took about $1.05 to buy a Euro. Today we are approaching $1.25. Such a deal!! - if you are Euro based.

You're about as likely to get shot as I am to get gunned down or run over by some terrorist in Europe.

In any case the dollar has fallen a good amount over the last few months, so you are missing a great deal on the USA A while back it took about $1.05 to buy a Euro. Today we are approaching $1.25. Such a deal!! - if you are Euro based.

I am not Euro based. There are other reasons why I am not comfortable visiting the US at this time, but we won’t go there.

Copenhagen for us. Bring money!

They don't speak English in Edinburgh. Except for the Romanian kids who work in the restaurants. :)

Would like to visit Lviv, Pilzn and Tallinn.

I am not Euro based. There are other reasons why I am not comfortable visiting the US at this time, but we won’t go there.

My favorite: Yokohama. Second favorite: Paris (but we've lived in both places so not sure if that counts).

Side note: A good friend from Germany will come over for a US ski trip once in a while. His wife literally doesn't sleep until he returns; he has to call her every few hours. She just knows he's going to get shot.

She asked me how many guns do I own (none) and how many people I've know who've been shot (none). She won't believe it and accuses me of lying to her so her hubby can come visit. Yep, that's us! Dodging bullets and gang fights at Deer Valley!

Morro Bay, California. One of the last unmolested beach towns in the southern half of the state.

I love Krakow, Rome and Florence. We live driving distance to SF and I used to love it. But in the last 20 years it has changed for the worse. It is really dirty with garbage in the streets, etc people shooting up drugs and so many homeless. It also smells like pee. We always stay in nice areas which used to make a difference but now not so much. I really love Boston.

My favorite: Yokohama. Second favorite: Paris (but we've lived in both places so not sure if that counts).

Side note: A good friend from Germany will come over for a US ski trip once in a while. His wife literally doesn't sleep until he returns; he has to call her every few hours. She just knows he's going to get shot.

She asked me how many guns do I own (none) and how many people I've know who've been shot (none). She won't believe it and accuses me of lying to her so her hubby can come visit. Yep, that's us! Dodging bullets and gang fights at Deer Valley!
Yikes! I remember 30 years ago people thought everyone in the USA wore a cowboy hat. I guess now they've jumped the shark thinking we're reliving the 1870's west. Makes you wonder what news source they watch. The only time I hear guns shots is duck season.

I love Krakow, Rome and Florence. We live driving distance to SF and I used to love it. But in the last 20 years it has changed for the worse. It is really dirty with garbage in the streets, etc people shooting up drugs and so many homeless. It also smells like pee. We always stay in nice areas which used to make a difference but now not so much.

SF used to be one of my favorites too. Shame what's happened there. Just a mess now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ha Ha, but good insight. We Americans often worry about other destinations around the world not being safe. Some are surprised to learn that other countries view America as unsafe.

Yikes! I remember 30 years ago people thought everyone in the USA wore a cowboy hat. I guess now they've jumped the shark thinking we're reliving the 1870's west. Makes you wonder what news source they watch. The only time I hear guns shots is duck season.

Strangely enough, it's not just other countries.
My mother lived in NYC all her life. When my father died, I brought her to Cincinnati to live near me, and she spent the first couple of weeks living inside a giant exclamation point.

She kind of expected wooden sidewalks with horses tied up outside the saloon. She was actually a very intelligent woman, just with no travel experience, and to find a modern city so far from New York blew her mind.

Strangely enough, it's not just other countries.
My mother lived in NYC all her life. When my father died, I brought her to Cincinnati to live near me, and she spent the first couple of weeks living inside a giant exclamation point.
We went to Manhattan in the early 80s before heading to Brooklyn for a friend's Bar Mitzvah for his son. Upon checking out of our hotel, we asked for driving directions to get on to the Brooklyn Bridge. Several of the people could not answer because they had never been outside of Manhattan! We ended up asking a taxi driver and tipping him. (We were staying at The Chelsea).

We went to Manhattan in the early 80s before heading to Brooklyn for a friend's Bar Mitzvah for his son. Upon checking out of our hotel, we asked for driving directions to get on to the Brooklyn Bridge. Several of the people could not answer because they had never been outside of Manhattan! We ended up asking a taxi driver and tipping him. (We were staying at The Chelsea).

That's not uncommon. The five boroughs of NYC are like five small European countries; they even have different accents (although only a New Yorker would pick them up).

Growing up in Brooklyn, I knew plenty of people who had never been in Staten Island or the Bronx, and only rarely in Manhattan or Queens. It's still that way today.

Back
Top Bottom