What Was Your best Vacation?

Another one where it's tough to choose just one.

Tens days backpacking around Mt. Robson in the Canadian Rockies

Ten days canoeing from Atikokan, Ontario to Ely, MN

Combo rainforest highlands/beach trip in Costa Rica

Chartered catamaran sailing the British Virgin Islands for a week

One week liveaboard dive trip to the Turks & Caicos

Week backpacking through Glacier National Park

Week backpacking through Teton National Park

Heli-hiking the Canadian Rockies (would have been a clear winner had my DW been with me on this one)

We are fortunate to be able to take some long vacations every time DH changes duty locations. Most of our trips overseas have been 3+ weeks.

1. Backpacking around India for 1 month

2. Bicycling Angkor Wat

3. Original Route 66 road trip - Chicago to Santa Monica on as much of the original highway as possible (there are internet guides). Visiting small towns, staying in classic motels, eating in diners, abandoned road signs and drive-ins, etc.

4. Andalusia, Spain by car and train for 3 weeks (with a side trip to Morocco).

I would love to do more backpacking and wilderness trips but after 13 years (and counting) in the infantry, my husband doesn't feel that sleeping on the ground is much of a vacation :)

Just got back (yesterday) from a caving tour in Mammoth Cave National Park.......

I did their "Wild Cave Tour" in 1971 and I think I'm still recovering from claustrophobia. It was awesome, though.

Fantastic idea. I used to do quite a bit of spelunking when I was younger. Can you point me to where I could find more information about this kind of tour?

Just got back (yesterday) from a caving tour in Mammoth Cave National Park where we donned miner's helmets and coveralls and crawled around off the main trails; through 'keyholes' barely the size of my chest, 'canyon walking' over precipices, shimmying under giant rock formations, and scrambling over boulder strewn inclines. Pretty neat.

Wow - great question - it depends. There are memories of even so-so vacations that stand out.

One of the most beautiful places in the world is Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald, Switzerland. My husband proposed to me on a hike we did there.

We also hiked half of the Tour du Mont Blanc - we hit all three countries. Coming from Switzerland into Italy and then up to the Refugio Bonnati was amazing - and the food at the huts - wow - especially in Italy.

We hiked the via Ferrata in the Dolomitis - you wear a harness and creep along cliffs hanging onto a cable - amazing views and mentally and physically challenging. Very relaxing for me as my mind tends to be cranking constantly - when you really have to focus, it can be mentally relaxing.

We just got back from Athens and loved the Temple of Poseidon - we managed to get there before it opened and had the ruin to ourselves - it was beautiful and amazing to be standing alone there with so much history. We also loved Santorini on one of our cruise stops - we hiked the atoll from Fira to Oia and when we got to Oia and sat down to eat we realized the post cards were not airbrushed!

We loved Algarve, Portugal - great food and wine. We also liked Andalucia, Spain. We walked through a Roman ruin of what was once a fish sauce factory - and then just outside was an amazing beach and restaurants with fresh grilled fish and vegetables and a nice crisp white wine. On that same Andalucian trip we visited the Alhambra and drove down through the original Sierra Madres - we stopped and bought some of the best olive oil I've ever had.

We hiked the Cinque Terre in Italy - gorgeous and yet again awesome food!

We liked Orvieto, Italy - a nice hill town just outside of Rome.

We loved Iceland - the free 'hot pots' - basically hot tubs filled with geothermally warmed water and dramatic scenery with volcanos and glaciers.

We liked Chile - the skiing and the Andes - plus the wine country.

Oh, and in Hawaii, we loved snorkeling in Shark's cove - I couldn't get my husband out of the water - he loved floating around looking at all of the really cool fish -that was amazing that in such a small area there were so many different fish and sea turtles - we loved it.

Alaska - we loved Sitka - there is a park there with the Totem poles near a stream - very nice.

Loved hiking Zion and Bryce - met mostly Europeans in the Bryce Canyon!!!

The most common element seems to be some physical effort (usually hiking) and mountains and then good food and wine. We've also had some awesome skiing experiences - being on top of a mountain again :)

Fantastic idea. I used to do quite a bit of spelunking when I was younger. Can you point me to where I could find more information about this kind of tour?

Here you go. They call it the Wild Cave Tour. I've been wanting to do that one for awhile now but just never have gotten around to it. Only a two hour drive south for me.

Mammoth Cave National Park - Cave Tours of Mammoth Cave NP (U.S. National Park Service)

If you want a little extra adventure you might stay here.

Wigwam Village No. 2, Cave City, Kentucky

Lots and LOTS of great vacations....some of the best.....

1. A long New Year's Weekend with my girlfriend (now wife) in Amsteram in 2004 (after a week skiing in Aspen, done on a lark). Scored business class ff tickets, no tourists, 6th floor room overlooking Leidsplein fireworks (which were beautiful at midnight over a bottle of champagne both inside and out)....New Year's Day folk show at the Concertgebau (sp), great food, great art, great brown cafes, etc., etc.

2. Two weeks in Greece circa 2005).....wonderful hotel in Athens, enormous whip cream birthday cake/champagne in room on arrival, sailing for a week in the Saronic isles, discovering ouzo, great snorkeling, great calimara, great olives, amazing Hyrda hotel escapade, wonderful ruins, etc., etc.

3. Two+ week honeymoon in France & Spain circa 2007 (probably the best). First class (!) ff tickets on Lufthansa (met with Limo, great caviar, etc.); scoring last minute opera tickets in Toulouse; a week barging and bycling on the Canal du Midi, 3 days on the Meditarranean in Couloire/Banyuls, 4 or 5 more in Barcelona (fabulous hotel hoverloong harbor)....couldn't have been better.

Bottom line, longer trips, a bit off the beaten path, with serendipitous luxury.....

2004 Cruise on Disney Magic with DW, two children and 4 grandkids. The cruise was cut short for half a day because of hurricane Jean.

The kids/grandkids loved it so much that we went back the next year, taking advantage of the discount that Disney offered because of the "incomplete" cruise. This time, there are 5 grandkids and DIL's parents also joined us.

Up to now, the older grandkids still remember the cruise. We hope to do this again.

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise and Gary said "This was our best vacation" and I answered " So far ". :)

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise and Gary said "This was our best vacation" and I answered " So far ". :)

Mo, what a great attitude. There is so much adventure out there, I always think the last vacation can't be topped then the next one comes out even better.

Cyclotourisme en France

I think the prize for best vacation ever would have to be my 1992 biking trip in southwest France. It was organized by a local company who supplied the bikes, organized the accomodation, and sent a van ahead every day with our luggage. If we pooped out, we could always hitch a ride in the van (though that didn't happen to me). The scenery, castles, and paysage were fantastic. The food and wine were superbe. The places we stayed included a 16th century hunting lodge and a very pretty mansion in one of France's 100 most beautiful villages. It was May and the weather was hot, so we drank enormous quantities of water. But we got our exercise! And the group of people I was with were very congenial. We laughed and sweated a lot.

Here are a few highlights:

SARLAT : Welcome in Sarlat, Perigord (Dordogne, France)
Domme, Dordogne - travel guide
Cahors | David Lebovitz
Site internet de la Maison du Tourisme de Rocamadour, Padirac, Gramat
Lascaux

I rounded out the vacation by spending a few days in Paris, where my favourite place was (and is) the Musee d'Orsay. Musée d'Orsay: Home

Altogether an enchanting experience!

A three day course at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in a track prepared 5.0 liter Mustang at Sears Point raceway in the mid '80s. After parking the cars for the last time a discussion started among the 16 men in the class. About half thought the driving was better than sex. The other half, of which I was a member, said no it wasn't, but it was (holding thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart) this close.

Summer of 09 the wife and I did a two month backpacking through Europe trip. Got an unlimited Eurail pass and rode the trains and roughed it for two months. Saw basically everything on mainland Europe, from the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, in France, Colosseum, Vatacan, Leaning Tower, Pompeii in Italy, ran with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, hiked the Alps in Switzerland, wandered the canals in Amsterdam, saw Bastille Day in Paris, saw the Tour de France, etc.).

We stayed in hostels two nights, and with various friends (one in Germany, one in Italy) about a week (total). The rest of the time (about 50 nights) we slept on trains, in parks, on the beach in Barcelona, etc. etc.

Two months of just exploring and enjoying life. It was pretty amazing.

Retirement (hands down) :LOL: ...

And this is from somebody who both worked in foreign countires and traveled over a good portion of the world.

While DW still travels quite often (both CONUS and foreign), I've found that "my place" is in my home.

I can't imagine anything better than this.

When I still wor*ed, vacation was a time to do something other than the normal "daily grind". At the time, I would have been happy just to veg out at home (DW had other ideas).

Since she has linked up with another gal that shares her travel "passion", I'm allowed to remain a home (with the puppies).

I'm happy...

DW was in Cairo in September (before the "troubles") and she (and her travel friend) spent the spring down south to see the early blooms. In September, they are off for a two-week "sojourn" to Switzerland (we've already been there).

Hope she buys me a Rolex this time (she would not let me spend the $$$ last time :facepalm: ...

When I worked in France (Metz), a buddy and I went camping to Le Mans and also to Nurberg Ring. We were able to pitch our tents right on the slopes around the track.

That was when I developed an appreciation for the resealable liter bottles of German beer.

There are many memorable places, (love Dubrovnik for example), but high up on my list is Jerusalem (the old city, not the newer part)........travelled around Israel in 1982.....I'm in no way religious, but walking around narrow streets having so much history associated with them gives one a feeling of connection with the past.

Rome, Italy with my two college age daughters.
Beautiful country. Fantastic trip. Great father-daughter memories.

I'd have to agree that being able to travel with wife and two young adult daughters has made our recent vacations my best - almost irrespective of location. We tend to do "slow travel" - hang out in one place or at least not overdo the itinerary when touring - i.e. spending a few days in each place along the way wherever possible. So whether it's a mid winter week hanging out on the same beach in Florida, or a leisurely tour through northern Italy, it's spending time together in new locations, sharing new experiences and leaving behind the distractions of usual routine that makes it for me. Once retired the respite of escape will lessen I am sure, but time together when we can swing it will still be a plus.

Definitely a 14-day cruise in the Mediterranean: Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens, Venice, Livorno, Naples, Monaco, and Barcelona. What a way to see these historic places!!

Enjoying a last minute trip to Hilton Head Island, this week.

Decided Friday morning to go and arrived Sunday morning. No planning pain!

Weather @ home 50s for a low, got a hint of sunburn on Sunday in HHI.

Enjoying simple pleasures of beach and biking with the family.

Back
Top Bottom