What's your travel "style"?? friendly questionnaire

As much as I like Lisbon, I think I'd exchange it for Porto.

Porto has long been on my list, my daughter really loved the city.

Looking at Cordoba or Valencia, Spain for a couple of months this winter. Cordoba might be a little small for a lot of walking, but it also has easy train access to a lot of interesting area.

Porto has long been on my list, my daughter really loved the city.

Looking at Cordoba or Valencia, Spain for a couple of months this winter. Cordoba might be a little small for a lot of walking, but it also has easy train access to a lot of interesting area.

Porto is one of our favorites.

Look out for us in Cordoba......we'll likely do a day trip there in the first half of November.

I'll usually check out some variety of Eyewitness Travel, Lonely Planet, or Rough Guides travel guides when researching a destination. All of those usually have lots of "walking tour of the city" type of maps with descriptions of places along the route. We spent several days in Buenos Aires following a few different walking tour routes. You see a lot of places along the way that you might never visit if you were on a tour or taking a taxi to a particular address, but if you're on foot and can deviate a block or two, why not stop in to an interesting square/museum/cafe/famous dead person's house.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do - the walking tours usually show the best or most interesting areas of a city. And then I pretty much always go wandering off into more working class neighborhoods - just vector off in a different direction each day. I can easily do 10 or 15 miles a day, exploring interesting parks or sports fields or cafes or whatever catches my attention. Cities with good public transport or a subway system make it easier to expand the walking range. In a city like Chicago, every stop seems to be a different world with a different feel.

There is so much to see and o in Rome. The first time we went we spent 10 days just there. My brother has been there for 6 weeks and says he still did not see it all.

Basically, as long as I'm with my SO, I really don't care where we go or what we do. I just had a magical time in the hills of Malibu, CA, and most of that was because we were together. Flying and airports don't bother me at all (perhaps they will in time?).

I am fortunate to be able to agree with this in large part even after close to 40 years--but not entirely. The right location can enhance the time together, particularly if the trip is relatively smooth (or, if not that, at least noteworthy). And DW is quite diligent and interested in nailing down the right locations/activities!

Back when I was a salaried employee, I could take money-is-no-object vacations that involved:
• flying somewhere with good hiking opportunities
• staying in a mid-range hotel with kitchenette
• driving to a new trailhead each day
• going for an energetic day hike
• returning to the hotel, taking a hot shower, fixing a good meal, and going to sleep
I had some great vacations in Oregon, Washington state, and the Big Island, among other places.

We like road trips. We like nice hotels, if we can get a good price. We like both long and short trips, with 7-10 days being perfect. We love exploring big cities, small towns, rural areas, state and national parks, and not following a set schedule.

Our repeat trip every year is Disney World or Disneyland with our kids and grandkids. My dad worked for Disney before WWII, so maybe it's in our blood. Otherwise, our trips are to places all over the country. We are not interested in cruise on huge ships, but may try a river cruise someday. We aren't much into organized group things, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We haven't traveled much over the last few years other than to Florida for the winter. In our first couple years, we did do a 6-week trip to California, Hawaii (for DD's 30th birthday) and Texas (where my sisters live). Last year we did a one-week family trip to Texas for nephew's wedding and then took our adult kids to Orlando for a few days.

When we travel we tend to travel budget. Rarely other than economy unless we can use miles to upgrade, typically mid-range hotels, occasionally a budget hotel if just for one night, occasionally a resort or condo accommodations, mid-size rental cars, etc. Cruise infrequently and usually shorter cruises.

We're overdue to do some traveling. Sisters want us to join them for an Alaska cruise/land excursion in 2017 and thinking about it but it will run about $10k for the whole trip (for 2).

For those that travel to countries and don't speak or understand the local language how do you find this fun and exciting?

It can be a little stressful, but mostly I find it challenging and fun. I like to try to learn a few words in different languages, like to learn about different cultures - it helps me grow as a person, and therefore, I think of it as a learning experience. If you learn basic travel words and basic phrases in different languages, it can take you far. Learn how to buy a train ticket, ask for a bathroom, ask for directions, food words, how to say hello and goodbye and please and thank you....it gets you farther than you may think!

Learn how to buy a train ticket, ask for a bathroom, ask for directions, food words, how to say hello and goodbye and please and thank you....it gets you farther than you may think!

Not only abroad but at home too......years ago, in Ottawa, we wandered into a small Sikh owned store looking to purchase curry powder.......the owner was engaged in a conversation with another Sikh when we arrived, and neither of them offered particularly welcoming looks.

Until.............I said "Sat Sri Akal", a Punjabi greeting, (and just about the extent of my knowledge of that language), then it was smiles and helpful behavior all around.

Anyone spent time in Ecuador?

Looking at a low cost Jet Blue flight during the winter. Maybe spend a few weeks there and then move on.

I like that Ecuador uses the US dollar for currency. Quito is a culturally rich city, with a vibrant population.

WE just took a 10 day cruise to alaska and the price was 5800 which included all our tips, side trips, transportation there, etc. However, we did not do the land portion. Do not take Princess cruises-they really suck.

Anyone spent time in Ecuador?

Looking at a low cost Jet Blue flight during the winter. Maybe spend a few weeks there and then move on.
I did a three week vacation there and loved it. I stayed on each side of the Andes in eco lodges, then did one week in the Amazon, also at an eco lodge. It is very diverse, geographically, for such a small country.

It can be a little stressful, but mostly I find it challenging and fun. I like to try to learn a few words in different languages, like to learn about different cultures - it helps me grow as a person, and therefore, I think of it as a learning experience. If you learn basic travel words and basic phrases in different languages, it can take you far. Learn how to buy a train ticket, ask for a bathroom, ask for directions, food words, how to say hello and goodbye and please and thank you....it gets you farther than you may think!

That's pretty much what we aim to do. With modern technology it's incredibly simple to pick up a few words and phrases (duolingo, youtube, etc). To me, learning a new language is a fun and culturally enriching part of travel. I could see how those looking for a purely luxury travel experience wouldn't appreciate this aspect of foreign travel. Heck, after 6-8 weeks of it I'm happy to come back home and hear the majority of people around me speaking English (except when I go to the fiestas! but rum helps translate everything I find...).

Having only been FIRED since 1/1, I'm not sure how much the travel budget will work out, but certainly I won't be staying at the King George. Plan to use airbnb or equivalent, motels, camping, etc., depending on which is appropriate.

Some possibles on the bucket list:

Have yet to see much of the desert southwest, northern Rockies/Plains, or the northeast;
South Carolina (so Sarah won't feel left out!)
National Parks;
Europe (yeah, I know, big place);
Alaska;

Also, just roadtrips to scenic/historic places.

A little bit of everything. I try to travel internationally every 2 years (10-15 days). Then we visit family and friends for week long trips 3 times a year as the kids are still young and in the midwest so still driveable. Then we do tons of weekend/day trips as NC is fairly central to lots...when we seen everything here, we will move and do it all over again someplace else.

Basically we figure 5 years in NC, cover the Eastern Coast and Europe. Then a few years in Colorado to spend time with his family and see that area.. then move on to Oregon and use that as base to see Asia/Australia and travel the NW at which point the kids will be grown so won't need to drive back to midwest as they can come visit us if they want.

In some ways my plan is to travel non-stop but instead of paying for hotels and long road trips, I'll just move myself permanently so we can explore via shorter day trips or maximum overnight.

Having only been FIRED since 1/1, I'm not sure how much the travel budget will work out, but certainly I won't be staying at the King George. Plan to use airbnb or equivalent, motels, camping, etc., depending on which is appropriate.

Some possibles on the bucket list:

Have yet to see much of the desert southwest, northern Rockies/Plains, or the northeast;
South Carolina (so Sarah won't feel left out!)
National Parks;
Europe (yeah, I know, big place);
Alaska;

Also, just roadtrips to scenic/historic places.

Yes!! Road trip to SC!! Cmon down and soon! Good beer and music await you!

Don't be so modest about your travel budget--I have it on good authority that you stayed in a holiday inn express recently! Such extravagance! :)

i've always been a fan of planning and arranging trips all by myself, i mean without travel agencies etc. and i picked up routes and things to see to make sure we don't miss anything interesting and so on. and it always means that you plan your every step. but in reality it turns out that the most exciting memories are those that are not planned. so i'm usually trying to allow some flexibility with the plan to let something unexpected happen :)

We do all of our own arrangements. At one time we we planned out our vacation. If it was four weeks we would have all the accommodation booked.

Now that we are retired we no longer do it. Sometimes we bookend a long vacation with specific flights. More often we do one way or open jaw, book our first several nights accomodation, and then 'wing' from there. We find it more rewarding. Granted, not everyone is cut out for this type of travel. Last winter we had a return flight to Bangkok booked. Two months in between with about six days of hotels booked and two short flights. We did the rest based on a few days in advance, leaving room to extend our stay in certain areas or to change outer plans completely.

Language has never been an issue for us no matter where we have travelled. People are similar all over. There is usually a way to communicate even if it is rudimentary.

i am a schoolteacher and have used those long vacations and sabbaticals to do some long trips.

i love independent budget travel. for the winter month i often do a month long surfing trip. i use google earth and try to find a cheap hotel that is walking distance from a good surf break.

i have done two rtw trips with a bicycle that were 8 months each. the first one was E to W. i biked almost every day but took other modes of transport for parts of the trip. the second trip W to E, i didn't have time to plan so spent more time on trains and buses.

i used to do two long mountaineering trips per year, but spending almost four months a year feeling horrid and away from my friends got to be too much.

i bought a house a few years ago and while it has been worth it for the equity boost, it has put a serious dent in my travel budget. i am working on either selling it or renting it out and living in a camper for my semi-retirement years.

i go camping almost every weekend for kayaking or snowshoeing.

my next sabbatical i am planning a walking tour of a few countries.

Don't be so modest about your travel budget--I have it on good authority that you stayed in a holiday inn express recently! Such extravagance! :)

HIX is a five star hotel by my standards. I usually stay at small locally owned hotels like the Broken Tumbleweed Motel or the Leaks-A-Lot Inn.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

......... I usually stay at small locally owned hotels like the Broken Tumbleweed Motel or the Leaks-A-Lot Inn.
I like the Bates Motel myself. Great showers.

Back
Top Bottom