Yellowstone in September?

Yup! "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!" :LOL:

I grew up less than 100 miles from Yellowstone and I can verify that September is indeed a crap shoot as far as wintery weather there. It can be sunny and 70 deg. one day with cold and snow the next.

Thanks Hankster,
I've changed my plan to do Yellowstone in late July to maximize the chance for good weather. DW hates the cold more than crowds. We plan to do Arches, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, then drive to Oregon to see Mt Hood and Crater Lake. Should be a fun 10 days.

September is a great time to go for wildlife as the elk are in rut and general activity is high. The aspens turn yellow then, and it's beautiful. Been several times. Signal mountai lodge is wonderful - but that's in Grand Teton National park, which should not be missed.

The parks are considerably less crowded than in the summer, although there are a ton of wildlife photographers.

Last edited:
Thanks Hankster,
I've changed my plan to do Yellowstone in late July to maximize the chance for good weather. DW hates the cold more than crowds. We plan to do Arches, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, then drive to Oregon to see Mt Hood and Crater Lake. Should be a fun 10 days.

Are you planning on doing the trip this year? You may have a hard time getting decent lodging around Yellowstone for July this year. You usually have to start planning a year in advance, it books up quickly.

Thanks Hankster,

10 days:confused: You must be kidding!!

I've changed my plan to do Yellowstone in late July to maximize the chance for good weather. We plan to do Arches, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, then drive to Oregon to see Mt Hood and Crater Lake. Should be a fun 10 days.
I think you will lose a much time to traffic, and have a lot of trouble parking near what you want to see.

Are you planning on doing the trip this year? You may have a hard time getting decent lodging around Yellowstone for July this year. You usually have to start planning a year in advance, it books up quickly.
+1 I found that in park lodging books 10-12 months in advance, but it saved a lot of time commuting even in September.
10 days:confused: You must be kidding!!
+1 I spent 11 days for just Yellowstone and the Tetons, plus 3 at Crater Lake on another trip and 2 at Mt Hood.

....very informative thread. I hope you post back about your trip experience.

Just a couple weeks ago, DH and i decided on a road trip to Santa Fe - Denver - Yellowstone. We had no idea that reservations should be made a year out and felt sticker shock at the hotel rates, but (being more enlightened now), have decided we best just grab what we can find. I found one cabin with available room inside the park for $255/night and I am booking it in the next ten minutes.

We are leaving here in late August and will shift things around, as needed, to get those rooms. Since they are the only rooms available in the park for dates we can be there, it makes me a bit leery. But time is a wasting; I am booking and we will make it happen. We may have to go Santa Fe - Yellowstone - Denver.

Getting there is the fun part. Except, it appears Yellowstone may be way cooler than most places we have been.

I will definitely report back on my adventure. We managed to get a room in the park at grand Teton np, and a nice studio in West Yellowstone off the VRBO website. VRBO is an excellent alternative to traditional hotels. Lots of driving ahead, but it should be fun.

Just a couple weeks ago, DH and i decided on a road trip to Santa Fe - Denver - Yellowstone. We had no idea that reservations should be made a year out and felt sticker shock at the hotel rates, but (being more enlightened now), have decided we best just grab what we can find. I found one cabin with available room inside the park for $255/night and I am booking it in the next ten minutes.

There are frequently cancellations for in the park lodging so it's worth checking often if something new shows up. West Yellowstone might be worth checking out if you need a place. Stayed there during my last visit to Yellowstone during September and found it a convenient home base. After Labor Day weekend it starts to quiet down and wont be nearly as crowded.

There are frequently cancellations for in the park lodging so it's worth checking often if something new shows up. West Yellowstone might be worth checking out if you need a place. Stayed there during my last visit to Yellowstone during September and found it a convenient home base. After Labor Day weekend it starts to quiet down and wont be nearly as crowded.

Thanks.

I plan to call each day, just in case something more reasonable comes open. At least, we have a place. Life is short and we are worth it. (I had to bring DH down when I told him what we are paying). It feels good to have SOMEthing booked.

It will be an adventure at any price. :)

Back
Top Bottom