Your first airline flight

Is the arline you first flew on still in business ?

• yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • no

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Oct 1984, from Singapore to Seattle. 24 years old "boat-people" on his way to re-settle in the US.

If you really want to pucker up, try landing at the Kahului Airport in Maui, especially in a 777 or 767. The trade winds funneling between the two dormant volcanoes, over the blowing sugar cane, have always guaranteed a memorable landing.

Funny, I did that once, and I thought it was pretty normal.

My first plane ride was in the summer of 1964. I was going from New Mexico to see a friend in Florida. I had a three hour layover in Dallas. I was 13 years old, so my parents had asked the airline to keep an eye in me during the layover. They were going to have me sit in their employee lounge.

I sat next to a teacher during the flight to Dallas. She had decided to get a taxi during the layover to go see where President Kennedy had been assassinated. She asked the airline if she could take me with her, because it would be educational. I wanted to go as well.

We had a great time. The Taxi driver showed us all the landmarks related to that day. We returned to the airport in time for our connecting flights.

No one called my parents and asked permission. I don't think anyone even thought of doing that. The airline people were fine with it. I certainly didn't think about calling. I can't imagine that happening in our present day!

When I got home, my parents were concerned and said they wouldn't have let me go, but there wasn't much to do at that point.

My first plane ride was in the summer of 1964. I was going from New Mexico to see a friend in Florida. I had a three hour layover in Dallas. I was 13 years old, so my parents had asked the airline to keep an eye in me during the layover. They were going to have me sit in their employee lounge.

I sat next to a teacher during the flight to Dallas. She had decided to get a taxi during the layover to go see where President Kennedy had been assassinated. She asked the airline if she could take me with her, because it would be educational. I wanted to go as well.

We had a great time. The Taxi driver showed us all the landmarks related to that day. We returned to the airport in time for our connecting flights.

No one called my parents and asked permission. I don't think anyone even thought of doing that. The airline people were fine with it. I certainly didn't think about calling. I can't imagine that happening in our present day!

When I got home, my parents were concerned and said they wouldn't have let me go, but there wasn't much to do at that point.

That's incredible. It could never happen these days!

Around 1964 or 65. I was around 9 years old. The family went from San Francisco to LA to visit Disneyland in Anaheim.

Honestly, I have no idea if the airline is still in business but the question brought back a vivid memory.

I was around 8 years ago. My parents had me thinking flying meant death.

I was traveling with my maternal grandparents, via train, to watch my uncle graduate from the U of Chicago with his Ph.D. Something happened with the train plan in St. Louis and we had to take a plane. I started crying when my grandfather told me because i knew. (this spelled certain death). I remember him kneeling beside me in this huge beautiful train station to tell me more folks die in car accidents than in plane crashes.

They got me on the plane. Before long, my grandmother asked a flight attendant for one of those throw-up bags, which I needed/used.

Man, I was so brave.

Some 20 years and 100,000+ air miles later, I am still battling turbulence-initiated panic attacks. To say this situation has frustrated me beyond belief would be an understatement because I love to travel. Have dabbled in education (the mechanics of flying), hypnosis, meditation and medication(!). To date a stiff glass of wine immediately upon being seated appears to work best. :blush:

I've often wondered if a good cure for fear of flying might be taking flying lessons even if only to the point of solo flight, not even getting a private license (which can be pricey). Most people solo with about 10 or 12 hours of instruction. Kind of counter-intuitive perhaps, but it seems logical that after the experience and knowledge that come with that might make commercial flying boring. It is to me, an airliner is just a bus with wings.

And your first solo flight is one of those experiences you will never, ever, forget.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom