Making Airline meals

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I hope this link works....

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/tr...-atlanta/01EF3B91-D178-4BAA-B945-08EF4C94F9CB

This video shows how Delta and it's partner are making airline meals for flights leaving from Atlanta.

On a recent road trip where I needed quick food during driving breaks, I observed how McDonalds has started to mechanize its stores. I can't help but think that lower level jobs in the fast food business will be eliminated over the next few years.

FWIW, if you visit McDonalds and don't use the McD's app, you are paying too much and waiting too long for your food.

Last edited:
I hope this link works....

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/tr...-atlanta/01EF3B91-D178-4BAA-B945-08EF4C94F9CB

This video shows how Delta and it's partner are making airline meals for flights leaving from Atlanta.

On a recent road trip where I needed quick food during driving breaks, I observed how McDonalds has started to mechanize its stores. I can't help but think that lower level jobs in the fast food business will be eliminated over the next few years.

FWIW, if you visit McDonalds and don't use the McD's app, you are paying too much and waiting too long for your food.

Interesting!!
But for many reasons, "people" --even minimum wage people--are becoming more and more expensive while machines/software are becoming more and more inexpensive.

^^^ Plus, the machines actually show up for work every day.

Why I never worried about losing my job, 36 years in the automation business.

Can you tell if this was man or machine that messed up my last MCD fish sandwich?

So disappointed again...... IMG20230326190201.jpg

All things considered, I'd opt for machine automation to prepare my food.

McD’s has been automating it’s stores for decades and is a leader in automation, in cooking and assembling meals as well as interfacing with customers.

Can you tell if this was man or machine that messed up my last MCD fish sandwich?

So disappointed again......View attachment 45618

Well, it's either that or so much tartar sauce you can't keep the bun on the fish. The joy of eating at McDonalds.

Personally, I think that was a man mistake. Machines will be able to test tartar sauce levels and refill the hopper before it gets to that "splat" point.

We find in general the quality of fast food to be poor and getting worse. We rarely if ever stop at any. When we travel by car now, we pack our own food and drinks for the road.

We find in general the quality of fast food to be poor and getting worse. We rarely if ever stop at any. When we travel by car now, we pack our own food and drinks for the road.
Same here. For a long time now.

We like to stop at Cracker Barrel, along with all the other old folks.. ;)

They have a lunch salad with grilled chicken and bacon and cheese... etc. for ~$8

Much nicer than stopping at McD's, although we do that as well on a road trip as they are everywhere and fairly dependable.

Cracker Barrel also seems fairly consistent in service, store condition, etc.

Whereas, I've found I can gauge an I95-adjacent town's socioeconomic status pretty well just by stopping for coffee at a McD's.

They have a lunch salad with grilled chicken and bacon and cheese... etc. for ~$8

Much nicer than stopping at McD's, although we do that as well on a road trip as they are everywhere and fairly dependable.

We have two Cracker Barrel’s in my entire state and neither is anywhere near where we travel.
We are big on making rollups. Easy to eat in the car, easy to store, reasonably heathy if made right and about a third of the cost of most alternatives.
I refuse to buy anything at a gas station other than gas. The prices are just stupid.

I’m afraid Cracker Barrel dropped off our restaurant list long ago as has just about every widespread chain restaurant. We’re just super picky these days and there are very few restaurants on our list. This is why we carry our own food on road trips. Yep, during the drive roll-ups are a staple as are cut up cheeses and cold cuts, nuts, boiled eggs sometimes. It’s wonderful not to have to stop somewhere for food on a long drive. We do indulge in local/regional specialty restaurants as warranted.

Last edited:

Long ago and far away...

Oops, wrong story. Anyway, when I was working I went to a two-week training school that was funded by the federal govt. and amazingly, this included free meals (well, free to us) at the Cracker Barrel next door to where the school was held. All of us being [-]cheap[/-] value oriented we ate all our meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, at Cracker Barrel. For two weeks.

So you can imagine how I still feel about Cracker Barrel, even 20+ years later.:nonono:

We have two Cracker Barrel’s in my entire state and neither is anywhere near where we travel.
We are big on making rollups. Easy to eat in the car, easy to store, reasonably heathy if made right and about a third of the cost of most alternatives.
I refuse to buy anything at a gas station other than gas. The prices are just stupid.

What are rollups ?

What are rollups ?

We buy a Keto friendly tortilla, then add turkey, cheese, some greens, maybe an avocado and roll them up. We also make them with peanut butter since they require no refrigeration. Think of it as a burrito without the Mexican inside. I thought roll ups are a universal thing. They show up on a lot of restaurant menus.

Ours are simply a slice of cold cuts and a slice of cheese rolled up together. You can buy them ready made - prosciutto and mozzarella rollups are common.

This is typical for what we take on a long road trip, easy low-carb noshing in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
When I was making road trips between KC and SC to see family during COVID (Dad was in LTC and I didn't want to wait for it to be over even though we had to visit through windows) I started bringing my own road food in a cooler. Not only healthier but cheaper- cut fresh veggies from the grocery store were a heck of a lot cheaper than the small portions in the convenience stores. I still use Subway- at least I can choose ingredients and watch them make it. The cooler is now a permanent part of every road trip. Even when I make stops, it's frequently at a grocery store to stock up.

At home I avoid all except the occasional Subway- it's mostly junk I don't eat anymore. Chipotle used to be acceptable but the penultimate time I was there the employee was clueless- I had to show her my choice on the on-line menu on my phone- and she plopped WAY too much into the bowl for it to be the posted calorie content. The last time the dining room was closed so it was pickup and drive-though only. I have no patience with drive-throughs.

Ours are simply a slice of cold cuts and a slice of cheese rolled up together. You can buy them ready made - prosciutto and mozzarella rollups are common.

This is typical for what we take on a road trip, easy noshing in the car.

I love deviled eggs.

When I was making road trips between KC and SC to see family during COVID (Dad was in LTC and I didn't want to wait for it to be over even though we had to visit through windows) I started bringing my own road food in a cooler. Not only healthier but cheaper- cut fresh veggies from the grocery store were a heck of a lot cheaper than the small portions in the convenience stores. I still use Subway- at least I can choose ingredients and watch them make it. The cooler is now a permanent part of every road trip. Even when I make stops, it's frequently at a grocery store to stock up.

At home I avoid all except the occasional Subway- it's mostly junk I don't eat anymore. Chipotle used to be acceptable but the penultimate time I was there the employee was clueless- I had to show her my choice on the on-line menu on my phone- and she plopped WAY too much into the bowl for it to be the posted calorie content. The last time the dining room was closed so it was pickup and drive-though only. I have no patience with drive-throughs.

I’ve given up on the build your own Mexican places like Chipotle or Qdoba. By the time you get to your table or worse, when you get home, they are cold. They are also not really authentic in any regard. We live in an area with good Mexican and New Mexican. We’d rather support a family owned local place.

I don't eat fast food except on long road trips where my stops are quick. I tend to get two types of food at fast food joints: burgers and egg-muffin sandwiches. Why? Because they seem to not be loaded with sugar and other junk. I once looked at the calorie counts of fish and chicken sandwiches, bbq this and that sandwiches, fake ethnic foods, etc. They are worse than an ordinary burger with a a food condiments. Same goes for the egg muffins. Even with cheese they are lower in calories and sugar than pancakes, and such. And they have protein which tends to satiate me. So I eat less.

For a beverage I will get coffee or water. FWIW, McDonalds usually makes a descent cup of coffee for about $1. And their insulated cups are top notch - strong, and with good heat retention. I rinse out one or two and use them instead of the normal hot beverage cups found in most hotel room.

Back
Top Bottom