Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

$550,000 medical bills
Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$550,000 medical bills

I could not help it, I had to post this article. Hopefully an eye opener for some...Sarah Burke Medical Bills: Donations Helping Defray Hospital Costs For Family Of Dead Skier

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Don't her bills die with her? At least the part that's not covered by her assets?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I could not help it, I had to post this article. Hopefully an eye opener for some...
Can you explain just what is supposed to be 'eye opening'?

This person decided to engage in a very risky activity, one which may bring her fame and monetary rewards. Why should anyone be surprised that she got hurt?

IMO, she should have been required to purchase high risk insurance. Why should others cover the costs that were the consequences of her own actions?

It' sad that she got hurt, but it was her doing. On the scale of sad things in the world, I think this ranks pretty low on the list. People who suffer through no fault of their own deserve more sympathy than this person.

So again, just what is supposed to be 'eye opening'?

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Don't her bills die with her?
I would guess that depends on the state.

Why You Need to Consider Elder Law, Marital Estate Planning, Insurance, and Social Security in Divorce Cases - FlyingSolo

Quote:
in 29 states, children can be held responsible for their indigent parents’ care under what is known as “Family Responsibility.”
Also known as filial responsibility law

Actually its 30 states
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...A/30states.pdf
Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This person decided to engage in a very risky activity, one which may bring her fame and monetary rewards. Why should anyone be surprised that she got hurt?
-ERD50
You take chances every day -- waking up, crossing the street, sticking your face in a fan.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

We tell all the folks who come to visit us from overseas to be sure they have health insurance.

I'm surprised that a sports person didn't have health insurance. Even as a soccer referee in Baton Rouge managing 8 and 10 year old soccer games the referee association provided health insurance for all of us refs.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sad story, at the prime of her sport, favored for next olympics, in the prime of her sport and at such a young age.

Just questions and thoughts as far as her insurance coverage:

1) I assume she was a Canadian citizen. So much for the health care if you travel outside of Canadian soil? That doesn't sound like a good deal for those going outside of their country.

2) I'd think if she was not married, and her estate was less than the medical bill, then the hospital would just have to absorb the cost of treatment. But since she is married, I'd think the bill would go to her husband? So, did she have other insurance (accident? life?) to cover some of the bills?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Can you explain just what is supposed to be 'eye opening'?

IMO, she should have been required to purchase high risk insurance. Why should others cover the costs that were the consequences of her own actions?

It' sad that she got hurt, but it was her doing. On the scale of sad things in the world, I think this ranks pretty low on the list. People who suffer through no fault of their own deserve more sympathy than this person.

So again, just what is supposed to be 'eye opening'?

-ERD50
+1
Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
1) I assume she was a Canadian citizen. So much for the health care if you travel outside of Canadian soil? That doesn't sound like a good deal for those going outside of their country.
It's the same with the UK health care. If a country's health care covered you in other countries then taxes would have to be higher to cover the few folks who travel. That wouldn't be fair.

We visited some elderly relatives in the UK last year (mid 80's) and they said that 2011 was the last year they would travel overseas, because the travel health insurance premiums were too high at their age.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If a country's health care covered you in other countries then taxes would have to be higher to cover the few folks who travel. That wouldn't be fair.
If she'd gotten injured in Canada while performing this high-risk sport, I suppose Canadian citizens would be picking up the tab when she got hurt. I wonder if they would think that was fair.

To the degree "everybody pays for the care of people when they get injured," it would seem fair that "everyone" gets to veto certain risky behaviors. Smoking cigarettes, riding motorcycles, skiing, etc.

On a less contentious note: Do nations with government health care have any reciprocity agreements when their citizens travel? It would seem possible.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
You take chances every day -- waking up, crossing the street, sticking your face in a fan.
But those are chances we all face everyday. If I decide to compete in some risky sport, I'm taking risks above and beyond the usual.

-ERD50
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #12

Well people make mistakes. For example, most people are overweight, others smoke, many have unprotected sex or play unsafe sports. Does it mean we have to make them pay thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, when something goes wrong - when they need COPD, HIV treatments or hospitalizations for example - if they can't afford insurance, if they don't have a job with healthcare benefits, or if they simply do not have appropriate insurance coverage for whatever reason?

Quote:
But those are chances we all face everyday. If I decide to compete in some risky sport, I'm taking risks above and beyond the usual.

-ERD50
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #13

Here is a link to the Ontario medical (OHIP) out-of-country coverage, which is likely similar to that of the other provinces:

Travelling Outside Canada - Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Publications - Public Information - MOHLTC

Quote:
When I travel outside of Canada, will OHIP pay the same medical expenses that are covered in Ontario?

No. If you are a resident of Ontario and you are insured under OHIP, you are entitled to very limited funding for a limited range of medical services when you are travelling outside of Canada. For this reason, you are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance every time you leave Canada and ensure that the supplementary insurance you have purchased provides adequate coverage.

Quote:
For inpatient services, OHIP will pay $200 CDN per day. If the services are inpatient services rendered in an operating room, coronary care unit, intensive care unit, neonatal or pediatric special care unit, then OHIP will pay at the higher rate of $400 CDN per day for hospital services.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I take chances everyday and I assume the risk everyday. I make sure that I am protected so that my family will not have to worry. If this woman was not covered with some form of protection I would be very surprised. It was a tragedy, but that is what we all plan for and protect against, so if they failed to do what was necessary it is their own fault.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #15

Do you have any facts that support the idea that Olympic skiers face a significantly greater risk of death than the general public?

I suspect that anyone who owns a motercycle, boat, or snowmobile has just as great a risk of accidental death.

There seems to be a strong desire in a lot of people to blame bad outcomes on the person receiving them. I suspect that people want to do that so that they can go through life thinking that if they make good decisions, bad things won't happen to them.

Quote:

-ERD50
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
Yeah, probably this individual screwed up but how many of us or our kids traipsed around Europe without coverage or even realizing we didn't have it? Should your kids or parents have to foot the bill if you F up like that? And what if you lost your job and couldn't get insurance due to some pre-existing condition? Do you have to give up skiing as a consequence? This is why I find the US practices involving pre-existing conditions so irritating (pre current law). In some circumstances a parent couldn't do anything to get the adult kids covered. If the kid gets cancer, what should the parents do? Spend down their retirement fund? Those who propose to repeal the health care act (as opposed to replacing it) would throw us back into that mess.

On the state filial responsibility laws, IIRC it covers providing basic sustenance, not covering catastrophic medical bills.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #17

I am speechless. Would you have the courage to say this to her parents who now have to pay a half a million dollar bill, on top of it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
it is their own fault.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
I am speechless. Would would have the courage to say this to her parents who know have to pay a half a million dollar bill, on top of it ?
Mostly people who think they are more responsible than everyone else and who seem to think bad things never happen to good people, that any time something bad happens to someone, it's their own fault and society doesn't have a moral responsibility to lift a finger to them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am speechless. Would you have the courage to say this to her parents who know have to pay a half a million dollar bill, on top of it ?
+1
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Some clarifications in this article (Sarah Burke's medical bills necessitate donations) about this particular incident (medical costs came to $200K, not $550K as reported by media, which has already been raised).

Sad story. I imagine her family guaranteed they would pay when she was admitted so that is why they are responsible for the bills?