Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
AARP ready to lose more members?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
AARP ready to lose more members?

AP Sources: Dem Health bill to get AARP backing - Yahoo! News
__________________

__________________
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Great - no guts, no glory. Plus it it will probably piss off my Independant(closet Republican Sister) which just tickles me to no end.



That will teach her to desert the Pat's and go Green Bay cause she thought Brett was cute. I mean look what happened there.

Still he is a good football player - hopefully with some good years left.

The point. If they do endorse - to early to predict the result.

heh heh heh - but it might be fun. .
__________________

__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
I dropped my membership a couple of years ago. Didn't disagree with everything, but didn't care for a lot of their philosophy.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
I wish I could join . . so I could quit.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Never been an AARP member but:
Go AARP's Go !!!
Keep stirring the Pot !!!
Make my insurance more affordable so I can ER into the sunset.

Not bad for a dreamer, right?
Steve

PS. I normally think and vote exactly opposite to this thinking. But I want to ER so bad it has become a life changing dream at this point. I guess I can be bought
I may even stop watching fox news !!! They are getting kind of nutty anyway.
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
We can (almost) all be bought Steve. The devil is in the price! It does little or no good to get a health care subsidy if it costs more in taxes than the current costs for health care. That is unless you have none to start with and get others to pay your way.
__________________
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
We can (almost) all be bought Steve. The devil is in the price! It does little or no good to get a health care subsidy if it costs more in taxes than the current costs for health care. That is unless you have none to start with and get others to pay your way.
But as we've said before in other recent threads, we can game this to our advantage -- AARP or not. As long as they focus on income in terms of their definition of "rich" and "poor" for the purposes of providing health care subsidies and targeting tax increases, the key to FIRE may be to concentrate on paying off the mortgage and all your debt so you can live simply yet comfortably on the smallest possible income.

As for AARP itself, they seem to claim to represent seniors but I think they underestimate the love and concerns many seniors have for their grandkids, and I hear more and more seniors griping NOT that they are being cheated, but that we are destroying the future of their grandkids with all this borrowing from their future. They aren't, as a group, as self-centered as AARP's political advocacy sounds.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Ziggy,
I think I have just about driven myself nuts (short drive) trying to figure out how to take advantage of what ever they do in this bill. Every time I think I might have something going my way, they take it out of the considerations.
Got to keep watching and hoping though,
Steve
PS. Also trying to conjure up an idea to con my employer into something that would help me get out of their way. Could be a win win for both of us
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
The only thing I get from AARP that is worthwhile is the magazine. Small piece in the paper says the AARP is now backing the latest version of the House bill on health care. My membership is up for renewal in December and think I will just keep that money in my pocket.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But as we've said before in other recent threads, we can game this to our advantage -- AARP or not. As long as they focus on income in terms of their definition of "rich" and "poor" for the purposes of providing health care subsidies and targeting tax increases, the key to FIRE may be to concentrate on paying off the mortgage and all your debt so you can live simply yet comfortably on the smallest possible income.
Potentially having more govt programs that you qualify for based on income, are means tested or determine your subsidy based on your income makes for an interesting counterview to the theory that you should delay SS and pensions as insurance against outliving your money.

To minimize income and maximize your assests you would collect SS and pensions early taking smaller amounts but having that income to allow you to preserve your retirement portfolio (minimize withdrawals from the portfolio). Interesting food for thought for folks who are currently in the delay SS until 66 or 70 camp......

Yep, you can "game" the system but it may require a significant shift in strategy from your current plans.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But as we've said before in other recent threads, we can game this to our advantage -- AARP or not. As long as they focus on income in terms of their definition of "rich" and "poor"
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
I'm not seeing the connection between 6 million Jews killed in the Holocaust and retirees' health insurance coverage--'splain please?
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm not seeing the connection between 6 million Jews killed in the Holocaust and retirees' health insurance coverage--'splain please?
Probably has something to do with the people who watched and did nothing to stop the persecution. Since it did not concern them directly. Not a connection I would use but. Just trying to help out s' plaining
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Probably has something to do with the people who watched and did nothing to stop the persecution. Since it did not concern them directly. Not a connection I would use but. Just trying to help out s' plaining
Perhaps that's it? Not a connection I would make either. Ever.

I imagine most people are worried about the cost and coverage of healthcare, for themselves and for others. I hope there's coverage for the psychiatric care I expect to need as a result of that worry (and for everyone else)....
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Probably has something to do with the people who watched and did nothing to stop the persecution. Since it did not concern them directly.
It does concern me and it's not something I support in its current form, particularly the surtax-like "bubble" created on the middle class in the income band where the subsidy would phase out. That's not the same thing as standing by idly because it doesn't impact me.

BUT -- if it happens, I'm sure as heck going to investigate how to use it to our best legal advantage during retirement. If that is reason enough to compare me to a Nazi, so be it.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Perhaps that's it? Not a connection I would make either. Ever.
In that case, I am happy to help. The relevance is in form, not substance or amount of horror.


"First they came ..." is a popular poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

First they came... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pastor Niemoller was clearly speaking about the tendency of people to be slowly boiled alive, by looking at each limitation on their freedoms and doing the calculus- "What does this do to me?"

Although you chose to focus on the mention of the Jews, you may notice that in the Pastor's poem they were well down on the more or less chronological list of Nazi targets.

As I read it, the lesson is that one should not accept government overreaching merely because you think that you are not on the list of targets; sooner or later they get around to everyone.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
BUT -- if it happens, I'm sure as heck going to investigate how to use it to our best legal advantage during retirement. If that is reason enough to compare me to a Nazi, so be it.
I am so sorry Ziggy that the poem was not clear. The comparison, if any, is to those who accept governmental overreaching, because they do not yet see that it will eventually affect them. To make it clear, what might start with income testing can very easily morph into asset testing of those "cheats" who hide their wealth in non-income producing assets.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
In the 1800's when Ivan was drafting for places like Afganistan - my ancestors left for Minnesota.

They ended up in Michigan but what the hey!

Like the Bear(Bryant) used to say - agile, mobile and hostile.

heh heh heh - Medical tourism is still alive and well - but bring cash. .
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
JustNtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 150
I am NOT now, NOR have I ever been a member of the AARP party.

But, I will gladly provide the names of friends and family who are/were members for a nominal fee...
__________________
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am so sorry Ziggy that the poem was not clear.
I don't think you should be apologizing Ha. Folks who grabbed onto only the fourth line of the poem need to go back and read and reflect on the message of Pastor Niemoller's words as they were conveyed rather than in their own "creative" interpretations.

Your point is very well taken Ha. I agree we all need to be watchful and thoughtful as we're led through these changes......
__________________

__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AARP..join or not? martyb Life after FIRE 41 03-28-2008 12:49 PM
Membership in AARP David1961 Young Dreamers 19 02-21-2008 10:22 PM
My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER members. Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 47 06-05-2007 06:15 PM
AARP Wants me Back................:) FinanceDude FIRE and Money 10 10-04-2006 08:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.