Brexit!

I would hesitate to make any judgement or prediction at this time, or even to attempt to build an overview. The world economy is like a delicate crystal vase that has been dropped and lies in tiny pieces.

Overlying all of the monetary aspects, a mixed political structure, which, like the structure of the EU, has grown and adjusted over many years. Even here, the politics are not limited to Europe, but a framework for life that extends throughout the entire world.

If you followed the back and forth of the referendum during the night, you saw an exit poll analysis using word count. There were two words that predicted the result. For the "Stay", the word was economy. For the "Leave", the word was immigration.

Extending that emphasis to the rest of the countries in the EU, (particularly Germany), and then looking ahead to to financial recovery, could rattle the theory that the financials would be just a blip. Germany in particular is in a sensitive position.

Looking at the numbers coming in the immediate aftermath of Brexit, while the banks are taking the brunt of the losses, an equally worrisome across the board shock to stocks in almost every category.

The key to recovery, and avoidance of an extended recession, would look to be in the rapid diplomatic and political actions of the EU nations. Failure to come together here, could extend to the world economy, which has been increasingly tied to the strength of Europe (as well as the United States.).

So much for the downside. London remains a dominant financial center, which bodes well for recovery, not for investment, but for the ability to bring together the financial leaders of Germany, France, and the other powerhouses of Europe. The key to recovery will be time. The world economy will not stand still... waiting. Hopefully, a quick agreement to bite the bullet and go forward (ala the US Bank Bailout) will avoid a possible tumbledown.

The final piece to recovery will be the people. There, only time will tell.

So much for putting thoughts into words. :LOL:

I would hesitate to make any judgement or prediction at this time, or even to attempt to build an overview. The world economy is like a delicate crystal vase that has been dropped and lies in tiny pieces.
What?!?

Not so disastrous I think.

Renegotiation on some of the EU policies is overdue. Sure, markets may be more volatile than the recent couple of years, but it's not the end of the world.

If you followed the back and forth of the referendum during the night, you saw an exit poll analysis using word count. There were two words that predicted the result. For the "Stay", the word was economy. For the "Leave", the word was immigration.

The world is going through a Global equalization scheme. Any person, from anywhere, can go anywhere. Countries that are the most generous will have to adjust to huge population growth, until they stop being the most generous.

Wages will be equalized globally, as we have seen over the past 20 years. Countries can move out of the "world union", but eventually they will succumb and be part of it.

It will be a different world in the coming years...:nonono:

Mostly agree with audreyh1 except for the possibility for this to set off a chain-reaction of reversal of globalism.

[Mod Edit]

-gauss

Last edited by a moderator:
the ability to bring together the financial leaders of Germany, France, and the other powerhouses of Europe.

At this very moment a combo of Let's Make a Deal and The Price Is Right is airing in boardrooms everywhere........."C'Mon down!"

The Brexit contagion: How France, Italy and the Netherlands now want their referendum too 

Voters in France, Italy and the Netherlands are demanding their own votes on European Union membership and the euro, as the continent faces a “contagion” of referendums.

EU leaders fear a string of copycat polls could tear the organisation apart, as leaders come under pressure to emulate David Cameron and hold votes.

It came as German business leaders handed a considerable boost to the Leave campaign by saying it would be “very, very foolish” to deny the UK a free trade deal after Brexit.

Markus Kerber, the head of the BDI, which represents German industry, said that 1970s-style trade barriers would result in job losses in Germany.

“Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries – or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other – would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st century.”

Mostly agree with audreyh1 except for the possibility for this to set off a chain-reaction of reversal of globalism.

[Mod Edit]

-gauss

I think it's OK to have some push back and renegotiation. I don't think things will reverse overnight, but I can see the pendulum swinging the other way for a while. Countries have to reevaluate the pros and cons again. That's OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving the "EVERYBODY PANIC THE WORLD MAY BE ENDING IT WILL IMPACT YOUR 401K AND RETIREMENT YOU WILL BE WEARING BARRELS FOR CLOTHING SOON" tone on the television financial news and "special reports" as the market opens.

I put in some fanciful (>10 percent drop) limit orders, hoping there would be a rush for the exits. Not one has executed yet. No doubt a lot of central banks are busy stabilizing things. The day is not over, so we will see where they let this go. And there is always tomorrow...

Until yesterday my portfolio had one of the best weeks of the year. After today, I might break even for the week. So....I've essentially lost a week. No biggie.

Buying opportunity

I will be putting a buy in for DVY at 5% below yesterday's close. Pick up my July buy a little bit early.

I was at a cocktail party not long ago and a woman opined that "buying on a dip" was the equivalent of taking advantage of someone's misfortune and morally wrong.

Of course, with a hefty trust fund paying her bills it might be easy to take the high ground.

They have many years of regulations to wind down because of this, it will take time. But my guess is that after it is all said and done, the agreements that will be made, will look pretty much like the agreements they already have, staying in the EU. Because they still have to meet the EU regulations to trade with the EU. In the end, I think it will not make much of a difference. Unfortunately they (and to a lesser degree the rest of us) will just have to suffer through somewhat lower GDP growth for a while until all this uncertainty is sorted out.

I was surprised at how small the drops were, especially after he run-up occasioned by the bogus "stay" poll results. I expect the wailing and gnashing of teeth across the EU over the coming months will cause a continuation of the volatility we have grown accustomed to.

Should be some interesting developments. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and may now exercise their right to re-do their referendum. It would be funny to see them decide to stay with the EU while the Scandinavian countries decide to go.

I was at a cocktail party not long ago and a woman opined that "buying on a dip" was the equivalent of taking advantage of someone's misfortune and morally wrong.
It's pretty commonly accepted that making a market / providing liquidity always has social utility. :cool:

It's pretty commonly accepted that making a market / providing liquidity always has social utility. :cool:

Not only that, but if someone didn't step in to buy, their sell price on a market order would go lower and lower until someone finally bit. That hurts a panic seller even more than someone willing to buy the dips.

Of course, with a hefty trust fund paying her bills it might be easy to take the high ground.

LOL - did you explain that if you didn't buy at the dip, someone else would buy even lower?

Buyer's strike = even lower prices. If someone needs to sell, they need to sell! And they can always choose not to sell until the like the price.

Last edited:
I wonder if Scotland ever met the criteria to ever actually get into the EU? Many countries in the EU are there for the handouts, Greece being one.

This is a misunderstanding of how the EU works. The problem with Greece isn't because they are part of the EU. The problem with Greece is because they are part of the Euro.

Looks like a great buying opportunity to me. Odds are I'll buy something by market close. Still have a few hours to figure out what.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom