Join Early Retirement Today

Finally, the IRS does something I like
Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally, the IRS does something I like

I don't think of myself as one who resents the rich... some day I'd like to be IndependentlyRich instead of IndependentlyPoor, but folks (especially rich folks) who evade their taxes really cork my pistol.

Good article in Bloomberg about this. Be sure to check out the graphics tab also.
UBS Tax Net Snares Credit Suisse, Julius Baer Clients (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

If it were up to me, I would also slap heavy import duties on American companies that move their incorporation to tax-havens, but that is another rant.
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The IRS needs a lot of these
(see Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 09-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Just keep in mind that a lot of the things the IRS is blamed for are really the fault of Congress. The IRS doesn't make the bad or stupid laws, they only enforce them...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think a lot of people are coming forward... but there will be a big majority that do not...

Saying you are going to bring charges and actually doing it are far apart.. and that is if they can find you....

I bet they go after the big banks and advisors... and the 'small' guy with only hiding a mill here or there will skate... (well, if they find out I hope they will at least hit him hard with penalties and interest)....

One of the good things is no statue of limitations... so they can take their time with this...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Check out column 6 for the number of IRS agents (civilian employees) on an annual basis:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/08db29ps.xls

Compare that to column 4, US population.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, if they find out I hope they will at least hit him hard with penalties and interest...
I would guess that is what will happen to the thousands that will inevitably not report their offshore accounts under this amnesty agreement. Those folks will probably receive a thick envelope from the IRS and the first page will state the amount of taxes, interest, and penalties, and fees they owe. 20% for negligent misfiling, 75% for civilly fraudulent misfiling. The bottom line will read "you owe the IRS $XXX,000".

That will be a pretty sight to see.

I would also like them to hire more IRS agents if it will be a revenue positive endeavor. As in if it costs $120,000 to employ an agent for a year, and they can haul in a couple million in fees and penalties, I say do that as much as you can.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote