Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,443
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Right. Bribe has a distinct criminal implication. This is too cynical for me.
When it comes to Congress, I don't think I could ever be 'too cynical'. YMMV.


ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kcowan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 4,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I ahve no dog in this hunt but I think the answer is YES to OP!

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
The gap between the "Super Rich 1%" of the U.S. population and the other 99% is now greater than it was before the stock market crash of 1929. Jack Bogle has warned that the "Invisible Hand" no longer serves the people. Instead, Wall Street is obsessed with restoring the unregulated market that brought the world to its knees in 2008. With many of the 261,0000 lobbyists in Washington D.C. serving the super rich, they can get what they want in terms of regulations, tax loopholes, and earmarks at the expense of the general public.

Average investors are simply no match for the gambling that goes on in the derivative casinos by Wall Street Insiders. The rich have an insatiable appetite for wealth that can never be satisfied.

Paul Farrell offers some compelling arguments supporting his theory that America is being destroyed by the misuse of capitalism by the Super Rich in his article, "10 Doomsday Trends America can't Survive."

10 Doomsday trends America can
There are problems with the country but the "doomsday" concerns are not the ones that I see.

We have been in worse places before in this country, even in my lifetime.
This too will pass.
Recent events have inspired me to leave you with a little music in the link below taken from the greatest movie ever made.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Point Me in the Right Direction SDCAKMenig FIRE and Money 2 03-23-2011 01:53 AM
cut off point Khan FIRE and Money 43 10-18-2010 02:47 PM
Nothing Wrong With America That Can't Be Fixed By What's Right With America Danny Other topics 12 02-17-2007 11:06 PM
Half a point? cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 27 03-08-2006 06:40 PM
The tipping point: When to get out Traveler Other topics 29 05-05-2004 05:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.