Justice Scalia Dead

Scalia was a brilliant man, regardless of whether his opinions matched yours or mine. I'm glad that AFAIK he led a happy life and died easily.

So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.

Natalie Cole also.

The reports are that Justice Scalia died of a heart attack.

Still, some jurists retired. An example is Sandra O'Connor. I remember her because she is from my state. She retired in 2006, is still alive and 85 now.

As I recall the main reason she retired was to help care for her husband who had Alzheimer's. Since the average age of the justices is around 75 years old I'm surprised we don't hear of any of them being diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia since it apparently affects one in three seniors.

IMHO, yes. He never held back when he didn't agree with a decision and he would clearly state why.

I enjoy reading his dissents...he was an incredibly smart man.

I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia."

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait." :(

I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia." (

He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait." :(

Agree completely, nothing is sacred anymore in this country. As to the autopsy, thought I heard his family did not want that done.

He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.

I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.

I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.

And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.

And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.
Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed.

I was a bit surprised to see that as well but as Meadbh notes it is up to the coroner or medical examiner or whatever the title is there. Where I worked it was rare for them to order an autopsy if the attending physician was willing to sign the death certificate and then only if there was clear possibility of the death being from other than natural causes.

You are correct though that the decision will give conspiracy theorists something to debate for a long time.

RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.
And, apparently, he had a hand in recommending that President Obama nominate Justice Kagan.
I will miss Justice Scalia a lot. I hope they are still producing jurists like him somewhere--regardless of their "politics" (or "philosophy").

I'm impressed that there are many here who have read and analyzed Justice Scalia's legal opinions.

What do YOU do all day? ;-)

Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.

And that's why news networks are verboten in our household.

I'm with Harley. I'm too freaked out watching The Fall right now anyway to pay attention to "news"!

And, apparently, he had a hand in recommending that President Obama nominate Justice Kagan.
I will miss Justice Scalia a lot. I hope they are still producing jurists like him somewhere--regardless of their "politics" (or "philosophy").

I thought that was a pretty neat story. It reminded me of the West Wing episode where there are two vacancies in the Supreme Court and they decide to let the opposition pick a real conservative in order to get a real liberal.

There is a scene where the President is talking to the conservative justice about the moderate that they would probably be nominating, and he looks disappointed. The President asks if he doesn't like the potential nominee, and the judge replies -- "He's a fine jurist, and if X, Y, and Z all drop dead on the court, the middle will still be well tended."

As I recall the main reason she retired was to help care for her husband who had Alzheimer's. Since the average age of the justices is around 75 years old I'm surprised we don't hear of any of them being diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia since it apparently affects one in three seniors.
Well, if there is anything to the idea that continuing to actively use your brain into old age can help prevent the onset of dementia, it may not be quite as surprising.

So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.
Yes the dedication at The Grammies really underscored how many fine people we lost. And that was just music.

Natalie Cole's family felt that she was slighted.

Late to the thread. I knew Justice Scalia personally and also some of his kids. He will be missed, regardless of one's politics.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom