Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #201
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I am a total oddball....I agree with everything you say....With a slight addition... If any of those things lead to loss of my freedoms such as my right of property or safety, the offending culprit should meet the Singapore cane, stockade, or rope from a tree depending on severity. I would be unelectable as a presidential candidate. ....Too socially libertarian, and too right wing on criminal justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 yous (southside chi-town slang ) pretty much nailed it. How come no politician even comes close to saying this? Actually there is no reason to answer this. Cause we know the answer why.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a total oddball....I agree with everything you say....With a slight addition... If any of those things lead to loss of my freedoms such as my right of property or safety, the offending culprit should meet the Singapore cane, stockade, or rope from a tree depending on severity. I would be unelectable as a presidential candidate. ....Too socially libertarian, and too right wing on criminal justice.
+1

And if substance abuse by a person, whether drugs or alcohol or anything else, causes impairment to his own health or wealth, I do not want to be forced to chip in to help such person out.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
+1 yous (southside chi-town slang ) pretty much nailed it. How come no politician even comes close to saying this? Actually there is no reason to answer this. Cause we know the answer why.

Well we got three since NW has joined forces. Maybe there are a few more in the weeds. Trouble is we are all retired and dont have the energy to run. Now if we could only get some kind of sane Ron Paul like/ Dirty Harry combo ticket.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #204
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gee, you guys really must want to close this thread down, huh?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #205

Almost there. Was hoping this post would get the thread back on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
But I think the discussion of MMJ vs the prescription drugs used to address the same conditions is very much on topic in this discussion.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

I've found it quite interesting that the changeover from smoking (tobacco) to vaping has also allowed pot smokers to peep out from the basements too. I see people vaping everywhere outdoors, and always wonder what is in the vaporizer. There's no easy way to tell since the smell is totally different. I'm not a huge fan of vaping, since I like the taste and feel of burnt leaves in my lungs better. But I'll probably get one this winter to allow me to enjoy a buzz while kayaking or hiking or whatever when I feel like it, until FL comes to it's senses and legalizes.

If I was a heavy user I'd probably switch just for the health reasons, since vaping is incredibly less damaging than smoking. But I've got so many other things that will probably kill me eventually that I don't think a couple of hits every few days will be the one that takes me down.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

I am still struggling with the concept that tobacco use (smoke or chew) is not acceptable, yet it's legal. Pot, on the other hand, is getting more and more acceptable (especially in CO and OR) yet it's illegal.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #208
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I'll go along with this.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I am still struggling with the concept that tobacco use (smoke or chew) is not acceptable, yet it's legal. Pot, on the other hand, is getting more and more acceptable (especially in CO and OR) yet it's illegal.
For the past 35 years "pot" has been considered a taboo subject in polite social circles (similar to religion and politics). Almost everyone in the baby boomer generation indulged yet there still seems to be a guilt complex about it?

Ask and it will be given to you!

Peace
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

And if substance abuse by a person, whether drugs or alcohol or anything else, causes impairment to his own health or wealth, I do not want to be forced to chip in to help such person out.

Does this also mean that physical ailments are the person's "fault", and that they don't deserve help? Is addiction a disease, or a personal failing? How do we discern the lazy from the diseased?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
Almost everyone in the baby boomer generation indulged...
I think your stats are similar to someone saying "I canít believe Nixon won. I don't know anyone who voted for him."

from article In U.S., 38% Have Tried Marijuana, Little Changed Since '80s
Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I tried it probably a half dozen times or so in the 80s. The first time was great. We just laughed non stop for several hours. But by the third time or so all it made me want to do was pound Oreo cookies into my stomach even past the point of my stomach exploding and then fall asleep. I was skinny then. At my age now, the last thing I need now is an excuse to eat Oreos again.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

I am OK with the libertarian push to let people screw themselves up (with drugs, alcohol, tobacco) and suffer the consequences. I much prefer that to prohibition. But I wouldn't take the the hands off approach too far. I still support investment in rehab services and universal health insurance for people who abuse themselves. If not, surely we would have to let smokers and the obese go down the tubes with no support as well. A lot of things we do impact society and a lot of things impact whether we succumb to these kinds of problems. There but for the grace of God go I is a cliche for a reason.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am OK with the libertarian push to let people screw themselves up (with drugs, alcohol, tobacco) and suffer the consequences. I much prefer that to prohibition. But I wouldn't take the the hands off approach too far. I still support investment in rehab services and universal health insurance for people who abuse themselves. If not, surely we would have to let smokers and the obese go down the tubes with no support as well. A lot of things we do impact society and a lot of things impact whether we succumb to these kinds of problems. There but for the grace of God go I is a cliche for a reason.

I suppose addiction will exist, no matter what we do. So, as has been said, "Pay me now, or pay me later"...

But, back on topic, illness and/or pain management is a tricky subject, and, not totally without good reasons, we are hesitant to prescribe certain substances, and that likely causes some to not receive the "best" care available. And mental health/illness still has many what-ifs regarding what constitutes "normal" or "ill"...

I'm not sure that pot is one of those substances that requires paranoia-like scrutiny, at least in adults.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But, back on topic, illness and/or pain management is a tricky subject, and, not totally without good reasons, we are hesitant to prescribe certain substances, and that likely causes some to not receive the "best" care available. And mental health/illness still has many what-ifs regarding what constitutes "normal" or "ill"...
In Minnesota we have Medical marijuana. It can only be prescribed for certain ailments. We do not allow smoking. Only pills and oils.

The Dr. that prescribes it cannot be affiliated with the pharmacy.

It is a true medical marijuana policy. Unfortunately, other states that have MM have done it with the intent of making anyone who wants a prescription able to get it, for any reason.

I have a medical marijuana facility that shares a lot line with my property.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
In Minnesota we have Medical marijuana. It can only be prescribed for certain ailments. We do not allow smoking. Only pills and oils.

The Dr. that prescribes it cannot be affiliated with the pharmacy.

It is a true medical marijuana policy. Unfortunately, other states that have MM have done it with the intent of making anyone who wants a prescription able to get it, for any reason.
I believe MJ has medical uses. However, I also believe a lot of MM policy is a precursor to legalization. No problem there, it's the same process the gov't used to get the seatbelt laws passed. "oooh, we promise we'll only give tickets when you've been pulled over for something else". It's a tried and true method. Nibble away at the obstacles until you get where you want to be.

My biggest problem with legal pot use in retirement is that IMO most older people drive too slow already. If they catch a buzz before driving, they'll probably never even get out of first gear. Maybe that's why people are working so hard on self driving cars.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally, I tried it probably a half dozen times or so in the 80s. The first time was great. We just laughed non stop for several hours. But by the third time or so all it made me want to do was pound Oreo cookies into my stomach even past the point of my stomach exploding and then fall asleep. I was skinny then. At my age now, the last thing I need now is an excuse to eat Oreos again.
Oreos are great, but butterscotch crumpets rule. There were times when I was young an entire box of these would disappear as a snack. I wonder how many calories that is?

http://www.amazon.com/PACKS-Tastykak.../dp/B000Z8RZ3M
Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Oreos are great, but butterscotch crumpets rule. There were times when I was young an entire box of these would disappear as a snack. I wonder how many calories that is?

http://www.amazon.com/PACKS-Tastykak.../dp/B000Z8RZ3M

According to a reviewer they are 220 per package or 1320 in a box... When I was 21 I could eat a box of those without weed inducement. And not gain a pound either... I think I would gain 3 pounds now if I just smelled them. They do look tasty though.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to a reviewer they are 220 per package or 1320 in a box... When I was 21 I could eat a box of those without weed inducement. And not gain a pound either... I think I would gain 3 pounds now if I just smelled them. They do look tasty though.

I've been eating around 1800 calories daily for 6 months with very limited refined carbs. I'm not sure what would happen if I inhaled a box right now, I'm not going to try. I never gained weight at that age either, of course I did physical w*rk then. Now I agree I'm 3 pounds away from my goal of dropping 50 pounds and the last few are not dropping fast like at first.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #220

Tastykake krimpets are individually smaller now. There used to be three in a package. Not the same taste.

The Tastykake pies are much better, I think.