Marijuana in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, dry ones and wet ones. The wet ones(take an oil extract) are the exact same thing a kid I know here uses for nicotine.

The dry ones take herb and heat to vaporize the thc/cbds off, but don't combust the material.

There's probably more too.

Marijuana does not impair lung function—at least not in the doses inhaled by the majority of users, according to the largest and longest study ever to consider the issue, which was published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association. ......
Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage | TIME.com

I expect edibles & vaporizers to become the predominant method of use anyway as the legalization of marijuana in the USA progresses. People will still smoke it ... but just for the "smoking" experience or nostalgia of it.

One of the good guys from Texas

Before long we'll be able to try some of "Willie's Reserve"!

willie-nelson-willies-reserve-weed-brand.jpg

DW got her card a few months ago but doesn't like shopping at the dispensary so I signed up today. Normally, there is a $100 application fee in DC but since I am retired I only pay $25 and I get 20% off all product.

Whee.

I had eschewed the ganja my entire life, even as a young man. Like some who replied here, I didn't want to hurt either my lungs or my brain.

When we were living in California, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and got her medicinal marijuana card, even though she never really could inhale when she was a young woman. Turns out she still can't, though she definitely did enjoy the edibles. I admit, I finally tried smoking a little for the first time -- at 53 -- and I have to admit, I enjoyed it.

Now that I'm ER, I'm hoping the state I live in will loosen up their laws and join the other states in legalizing recreational pot. One thing I would definitely do then, though ... invest in a vaporizer. :cool:

Last edited:
Effects of Marijuana Smoking on the Lungs : ATS News
In the upcoming June Annals of the American Thoracic Society, Donald P. Tashkin, MD, emeritus professor of medicine and medical director of the Pulmonary Function Laboratory at the David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, reviews research on the effects of marijuana smoking on the lungs.
Dr. Tashkin found that regular smoking of marijuana by itself causes visible and microscopic injury to the large airways that is consistently associated with an increased likelihood of symptoms of chronic bronchitis that subside after cessation of use. He also found that the evidence does not indicate that habitual use of marijuana leads to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance.

The author finds no clear link between marijuana use and the development of COPD or lower respiratory tract infections. In addition, “findings from a limited number of well-designed epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk for the development of either lung or upper airway cancer from light or moderate use, although evidence is mixed concerning possible carcinogenic risks of heavy, long-term use,” Dr. Tashkin notes. “In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared to the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco.”

+1

I have no desire whatsoever to smoke pot, regular cigarettes, drink alcohol, and so on. I enjoy life as it is, and clouding my mind with pot or other drugs would bore me. :sick:

+A whole lot

Hesitated to even comment, but saw that. Others may do what they want, but personally can't think of a bigger waste of my time or life.

Dr. Tashkin found that regular smoking of marijuana by itself causes visible and microscopic injury to the large airways that is consistently associated with an increased likelihood of symptoms of chronic bronchitis that subside after cessation of use. He also found that the evidence does not indicate that habitual use of marijuana leads to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance.

The author finds no clear link between marijuana use and the development of COPD or lower respiratory tract infections. In addition, “findings from a limited number of well-designed epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk for the development of either lung or upper airway cancer from light or moderate use, although evidence is mixed concerning possible carcinogenic risks of heavy, long-term use,” Dr. Tashkin notes. “In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared to the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco.”

For medical users (who probably tend to be more concerned with lung function than your run of the mill stoners) edibles and vaporizers are the way to go. With a good vaporizer there is no smoke and little or no irritation - even the reversible type the doc discusses. As I understand the current state of affairs, in places like CO and CA where cannabis use is common, vaporizers are pushing out pipes and papers.

For medical users (who probably tend to be more concerned with lung function than your run of the mill stoners) edibles and vaporizers are the way to go. With a good vaporizer there is no smoke and little or no irritation - even the reversible type the doc discusses. As I understand the current state of affairs, in places like CO and CA where cannabis use is common, vaporizers are pushing out pipes and papers.

In addition to technological improvements in methods to ingest cannabis, I would venture to guess this trend is multiplied by the increasing number of people in the USA who never smoked tobacco in the first place.

+A whole lot

Hesitated to even comment, but saw that. Others may do what they want, but personally can't think of a bigger waste of my time or life.

Thankfully, no one that I know of is trying to pass a law making smoking pot mandatory... :greetings10:

Now that I live in San Francisco, I get plenty of second hand exposure. Does that count?:LOL:

+1

I have no desire whatsoever to smoke pot, regular cigarettes, drink alcohol, and so on. I enjoy life as it is, and clouding my mind with pot or other drugs would bore me. :sick:

I have never tried pot, but smoked cigarettes from the age of 16 till 47, and still enjoy alcohol (3 to 6 drinks a week). Alcohol is good for you!

My wife wanted to go on a cruise later this year (our last cruise was 20 years ago), and I think I am going to drink more during that cruise to cure boredom.

Last edited:
My wife wanted to go on a cruise later this year (our last cruise was 20 years ago), and I think I am going to drink more during that cruise to cure boredom.

It's a good way to lose a lot of weight in your wallet too! :LOL:

Problem with his study is it tested a small sample and qualified heavy use between 600 and 1000 exposures. Comparing it to a two pack a day smoker, means his study compares a lifetime of pot use to two months of smoking cigarettes. And those who are old enough to remember, doctors were recommending and endoursing smoking for relaxation. The government also provided smokes as part of the soldiers rations. Personally, smoke whatever in the comfort of your own home, as long as you keep it there, enjoy!

Personally, smoke whatever in the comfort of your own home, as long as you keep it there, enjoy!

is that the way alcohol is governed? should be.

My mother died from colon cancer in 2002. She underwent chemotherapy and the side effects from the treatments were pure hell for her and she endured a lot of discomfort along with nausea and loss of appetite. I procured some MJ for her and after discussing the effects she agreed to give it a try. The MJ relieved a good deal of the pain and reduced the nausea considerably. A couple of my siblings were not too happy about this at first but changed their opinions after hearing her describe the beneficial effects. We also discussed this with the Hospice rep assigned to her case. The rep said that if my mother found it beneficial there was no reason to not use it. The rep was also careful to say that this was not the official position of Hospice.

I am thankful that the MJ allowed my mother to have better days during the end stage of her life. Hopefully, legislation will continue to move towards making MJ more readily available for those suffering medical conditions where it may be helpful.

I also believe MJ should be legalized for recreational use as it is obvious prohibition does not work. I think it is a waste of resources trying to eradicate MJ use as proven by the failure of the War on Drugs that was begun in the early 70's. Black markets almost always result in increased crime and corruption due to the large amounts of illicit cash sloshing around.

Also, a prior poster mentioned MJ as a possible gateway drug but I don't believe this to be the case. Anecdotal evidence from my friends and myself seems to contradict the notion that MJ usage will prompt you to try other more dangerous drugs. To me, any gateway effect was likely caused by the fact that, since MJ was illegal, you had no choice but to interact with the criminal element in order to get your MJ. This brought casual MJ users face to face with some drug dealers who were only concerned with maximizing profits and who would therefore push the MJ users to sample their other products. These other products are often addictive and much more dangerous. Legalization allows users to buy their MJ at a retail store where they will not be associating with criminals pushing the more dangerous drugs.

I personally recommend the vaporizers as they are safer than smoking and don't cause your home furnishings to stink like skunk weed.

I personally recommend the vaporizers as they are safer than smoking and don't cause your home furnishings to stink like skunk weed.

Who can afford skunk weed? :LOL:

I am glad your mother was able to find some relief in such an awful situation.

Who can afford skunk weed? :LOL:

I am glad your mother was able to find some relief in such an awful situation.

LOL, I was really referring to just plain old stinky weed and not the strain they call skunk these days!

Well said BTravlin. My thoughts exactly. I know not all will agree, but I'm in your camp. We have a proven medicine to help very sick people, let them have a choice of a treatment that gives many more comfort, dignity, and quality of life. To do otherwise IMHO is cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom